IIHF Throwbacks

benpc21

So did none of these jerseys ever even hit ebay. Not even the gamers? I would have thought that Nike and the IIHF would have auctioned them for charity at least if they didn't let the players keep them. Maybe they are being stored in a warehouse some where on Nike's headquarters like the Ark from Indiana Jones.

worldhockeyjerseys.com has some of the sweden vintage style gamers for 450. Ive also seen a guy who has the throwback czech republic jersey. I know Germany was selling a reproduction knockoff of it on their federation merchandise site, same with Finland.

From what ive been told most of the jerseys went to the Federations....

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only ones I've seen at retail are the USA and Canada ones. I'm crushed they never sold the rest, especially Russia. What a completely bungled opportunity on their part. The IIHF can be weird that way. Can you imagine that they don't even have an online store as part of their website to sell programs, pins, patches, jerseys or just an IIHF logo polo shirt?

I think they are anti-capitalist. After all, they were the ones who scrubbed all sponsorship from the ice and the jerseys in the Champions Hockey League.

No, they are just plain old lazy! See this email I got from them a while back.....

"Dear Anthony,

Now I am back to the office and I can provide a comprehensive answer to your question.

I am reponsible for the uniform programme inside the IIHF. We have evaluated the idea to organize a sale of the jerseys through the website but we have found problematic issues reflecting the sustainability of the project. The total potential volume is unfortunatley lower than one can expect.

The design of the jersey belongs to each national federation. Prior to any business operation you need to obtain their approval to the plan. Then you need to have to make an investment to have the jerseys ready in stock in different sizes because in front of an order you cannot wait for the time required for ad hoc production which will be in any case too much expensive.

The national federation may change their design every two years. What is in stock unsold is no longer marketable except perhaps for collectors but this is even smaller.

Pre-payment is now less problem than in the past, however, the location of the recipient could be a problem if it is outside of the EU. (customs, VAT etc).

Last but not least, as soon as the Federation has a marketing plan for the jerseys they use during the season different from the ones from the one of the IIHF website sales are not keen to develop a business plan challenging with the one that they have in place.

Coming back to the three countries that you are looking for - Thailand (THA) has not taken part for the past several years in our championships - so there are no jerseys in our records; for the Democratic Republic of Korea (PRK) is taking part in our championship programme every year but as you can imagine but I believe that the jerseys we delivered to them every two years are probably the only ones available in their country. As to Chinese Taipei (TPE), they are also taking part every year in the championship but the growth of ice hockey in that country is still to come so that I also believe that they are keen to keep the jerseys that they have. As you are a collector, the only thing I could suggest to do without the guarantee to succeed is to ask PRK and TPE if they agree for the reproduction of one of their jerseys for you.

You can find the e-mail addresses for these countries on our website www.iihf.com

Kind regards

Federico Saviozzi"

worldhockeyjerseys.com has some of the sweden vintage style gamers for 450. Ive also seen a guy who has the throwback czech republic jersey. I know Germany was selling a reproduction knockoff of it on their federation merchandise site, same with Finland.

From what ive been told most of the jerseys went to the Federations....

Would like to find a German one and those CCCP ones were sweet.

the german ones used to be available on the German shop http://www.deb-online.de/neu/onlineshop/index.htm but it doesnt look liek they are anymore.. id just go on ebay germany and look there every few days...

Yeah, I've been on there for the Oktoberfest Munich jersey I trying to hunt and always looking to add more Frankfurt jerseys as well.

• 1 month later...