2008 NCAA Tournament

lafountain

Well the matchups are set for the 2008 NCAA Hockey Tournament. The WCHA conference is well represented with 6 teams in the tournament. Don't think Michigan State is likely to repeat, but then again last year at this time I wouldn't have said that they were gonna win it all either.

Albany (East)

No. 1 Michigan vs. No. 4 Niagara

No. 2 St. Cloud State vs. No. 3 Clarkson

Colorado Springs (West)

No. 1 New Hampshire vs. No. 4 Notre Dame

No. 2 Colorado College vs. No. 3 Michigan State

Madison (Midwest)

No. 1 North Dakota vs. No. 4 Princeton

No. 2 Denver vs. No. 3 Wisconsin

Worcester (Northeast)

No. 1 Miami vs. No. 4 Air Force

No. 2 Boston College vs. No. 3 Minnesota

There's been PLENTY of "discussion" (whining and complaining) about the fact Wisconsin, with an overall losing record, made the field while Minnesota State Mankato was left at home with a record above .500, especially when it looks like a 'cash grab' to put Wisconsin in the field AT HOME (as a #3 seed at that!) for no other reason than to sell more tickets. Now I know that 'Sconny was chosen by computer rankings, but you try telling that to a stick and ball sports reporter that only knows football, baseball and hoops!

Now, for my personal dilemma.

What to do with myself on Sunday?

I'm going to be working in Milwaukee next week so on Sunday I can either travel directly to Milwaukee to see the Admirals host the Wild's AHL affiliate, the Houston Aeros, and being from Minnesota, there's a certain appeal to seeing the Aeros so that in future seasons I can brag about seeing the guys before they were with the big club.

OR

I can stop off in Madtown to see what I assume will be WCHA rivals North Dakota vs. Denver to earn a trip to the Frozen Four. I'm sure the passion level will be somewhat higher than a regular season AHL game between two fairly average teams.

Both games start within an hour of each other, so I can only do one.

The "jersey tiebreaker" is fairly even since I have an Aeros jersey I can wear in Milwaukee and a Sioux jersey I can wear in Madison. One vote for Madison is that I have never been to the arena before. If Wisconsin does make the Sunday game, the expected cost does go up substantially, making Milwaukee more attractive from an expense standpoint. Seeing the Aeros does give it a vote because of the long term ability to say "I saw him play before he was on the Wild".

What to do, what to do? :unsure:

When are these games and when and where are the finals?

Games start this Friday. Finals are 12 Apr in Denver.

You can see a printable bracket with dates and times at the following link. http://www.uscho.com/pdf/general/2008bracket.pdf

As for your situation Jeff, I would go with the NCAA Tournament. While seeing your teams minor league affiliate is always nice, seeing the playoffs no matter what league is almost always very exciting.

Games start this Friday. Finals are 12 Apr in Denver.

You can see a printable bracket with dates and times at the following link. http://www.uscho.com/pdf/general/2008bracket.pdf

As for your situation Jeff, I would go with the NCAA Tournament. While seeing your teams minor league affiliate is always nice, seeing the playoffs no matter what league is almost always very exciting.

I agree- always take the Tourney over a regular season game.

I can't wait to be rocking out in Albany this weekend and rooting against those ###### Wolverines (its maize not corn!).

We are down to the Frozen Four.

On Thursday 10 Apr 08 Boston College will play North Dakota at 3 Pacific Time. Michigan will play Notre Dame a short while after the first game.

Winners meet on 12 Apr 08.

Lets go Eagles.

The Notre Dame Fighting Irish earn their first ever Frozen Four bid! WOOOOOO!

And beat 2 very good teams to get there. I saw them play RPI this year and they were impressive.

I did go to Madison for the NoDak vs. Badgers game. It was a really good atmosphere and the game went to OT, but the underdog home team just couldn't hold off the Sioux.

It turned out to be a great game in Milwaukee with a seven round shootout won by the home team, so there was no wrong answer that day, except for the fact I sat at the wrong end in Madison and ALL FIVE GOALS were at the OTHER END OF THE ARENA! :angry:

I'm thinking Michigan vs. North Dakota for the final.

I did go to Madison for the NoDak vs. Badgers game. It was a really good atmosphere and the game went to OT, but the underdog home team just couldn't hold off the Sioux.

It turned out to be a great game in Milwaukee with a seven round shootout won by the home team, so there was no wrong answer that day, except for the fact I sat at the wrong end in Madison and ALL FIVE GOALS were at the OTHER END OF THE ARENA! :angry:

I'm thinking Michigan vs. North Dakota for the final.

ND always seems to turn it up in the tourney (much like Maine) regardless of their regular season. It should be fun to watch the finals!

And beat 2 very good teams to get there. I saw them play RPI this year and they were impressive.

Theyve been very inconsistent and very streaky all year. If theyre playing well, they look unbelievable out there. On the other hand, there have been many games this year that have been absurdly tough to watch.

Who knows what team will show up against Michigan next weekend? Hopefully the good one...

Wow, just Wow.

I am sitting here watching Boston College just completely dismantle North Dakota as it is 6-0 with 7:30 to go in the 2nd. The Sioux just have no answer for Nathan Gerbe in this game.

3-1 BC after 2. They have just played excellent hockey in this tournament. Gerbe with 2 more goals and an assist in the game. Easily likely to win the Tournaments MVP award.

Though he is likely a player that will likely be ignored at the higher levels due to his size of 5'6" and only 160 lbs, would like to see him at least given a chance.

Congrats to the BC Eagles. Notre Dame had a shot until that goal was disallowed and then BC scored less than a minute later.

Overall though, was a good game to watch. BC has now been to the Championship game 3 years in a row and they finally won the big one. Again Congrats to them.