customization laugher

trueblue2735

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who on Earth is bidding $50 on this piece of crap...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Anze-Kopitar-RBK-Cente...=item414a8f6176

:mellow:

Since I haven't found any others lately, here are another gorgeous couple of items:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290369717777

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=360209044622

...and there's still the one and only, indescribably awful http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=360207982972. At least no one is bidding on these things.

Can we lay off these jerseys? I am pretty sure they were released by CCM/Starter/whomever years back. It's not like these people are hacking up a set of jerseys to make one of these. They are straight from the factory, and again, while dumb, are still rare...

There hasn't been an entry here in a while. Sometimes I'll see someone wearing a jersey and just cringe and want to help them by pointing out their jersey's problems, but since I don't want to embarrass them, I don't say anything to them, just to the people with me if the person is far enough away not to hear. Tonight was an occurrence of that. At tonight's Caps game, an absolute drubbing of the Panthers, I saw a ton of replicas with screened stitchmarks, but I think most fans just don't know any better. Besides the annoyance of seeing Ovechkin put onto several vintage replicas, Hunter being put on current jerseys (he retired before they existed), and not only seeing people's last names on jerseys rather than the players (as well as a first name- Nick, and not on a kid either), I spotted a woman wearing a red Alex Semin jersey where the nameplate actually stretched across the whole width of the jersey rather than being cut to fit the name the way it is supposed to be (it looked as if it were supposed to be for someone with a really long name like Tomas Fleischmann or Steve Konowalchuk instead of Semin). I wonder if it was a fake or just a bad job by whoever the customizer was?

There hasn't been an entry here in a while. Sometimes I'll see someone wearing a jersey and just cringe and want to help them by pointing out their jersey's problems, but since I don't want to embarrass them, I don't say anything to them, just to the people with me if the person is far enough away not to hear. Tonight was an occurrence of that. At tonight's Caps game, an absolute drubbing of the Panthers, I saw a ton of replicas with screened stitchmarks, but I think most fans just don't know any better. Besides the annoyance of seeing Ovechkin put onto several vintage replicas, Hunter being put on current jerseys (he retired before they existed), and not only seeing people's last names on jerseys rather than the players (as well as a first name- Nick, and not on a kid either), I spotted a woman wearing a red Alex Semin jersey where the nameplate actually stretched across the whole width of the jersey rather than being cut to fit the name the way it is supposed to be (it looked as if it were supposed to be for someone with a really long name like Tomas Fleischmann or Steve Konowalchuk instead of Semin). I wonder if it was a fake or just a bad job by whoever the customizer was?

Well people putting their names on a jersey does not bother me at all (hey, can't we all wish we are a part of the team :skaterblu::thumbsup: ), but some of them other ones. Wow.

I know some replica basketball, and even a few replica football jerseys have the screened stitchmarks, but I never heard anything like that for replica hockey jerseys. Current players on vintage replicas is an annoyance, but past players on current jerseys, that is a major foul.

I know some replica basketball, and even a few replica football jerseys have the screened stitchmarks, but I never heard anything like that for replica hockey jerseys.

Shop.NHL.com has been doing the plastic/vinyl looking numbers with printed stitch marks on replicas for a while, atleast since the Edge era began if not longer. That's why I go out of my way to get anyone I know, even casual fans, to go to places like IJ even for replicas because the printed stitch mark stuff looks like crap.

Shop.NHL.com has been doing the plastic/vinyl looking numbers with printed stitch marks on replicas for a while, atleast since the Edge era began if not longer. That's why I go out of my way to get anyone I know, even casual fans, to go to places like IJ even for replicas because the printed stitch mark stuff looks like crap.

To add to that, the ones I saw being sold at a Champs in a local mall yesterday and at the Verizon Center last night now have somewhat darker-printed and even MORE noticeable (like a light grey) stitch marks within the white lettering and numbers in place of the white-printed stitch marks that Shop.NHL.com had been doing within the Caps white lettering/numbers. While I have no idea if Shop.NHL.com has also more recently switched from white printing to this darker printing for their stitch marks, yesterday's actually seemed slightly worse than the Ovie debacle I purchased from them last March without knowing any better at the time. The sad part is, the casual fans probably don't notice either type of printed stitch marks, or even if they do notice them, will assume that b/c they bought it at the arena or in a retail store (like Sports Authority or Champs) or from Shop.NHL.com that maybe they're supposed to be printed (and heat-pressed, etc.) rather than actually stitched because these places have name recognition and this creates the illusion of authenticity.

I really wish I had been warned beforehand, but I wasn't yet a member of this site (and had I been, I'm about 120% sure I wouldn't have bought it from Shop.NHL.com). However, once I found out that the way Shop.NHL.com had gone about customizing my Ovie wasn't the way it was really supposed to be, even as a replica, I went from being thrilled to own a replica of the best player, or one of the NHL's best players [if you think he's not THE best, you'd have to agree that he's among the best], to being angered and extremely appalled that Shop.NHL.com would do this. Since my customization had been free (so I couldn't recover the cost of customization from them), and it had been about 4-5 months before I realized that what they had done was wrong, I didn't really have any legit option for compensation from them (since they also don't allow returns of customized jerseys) other than to never purchase anything that would need customization from their site and to make sure that no one I know does either and send them to somewhere good like IJ if they want a replica customized.

While I would never buy a jersey from NHL Shop UNLESS they go back to the sewn customization that IJ does currently, I have noticed from looking at some jerseys in stores that some of the screen printing looks better on certain teams' jerseys than on others.

For instance, I think the screen printing on the Pens' home and away jerseys look like absolute crap, but it's not as bad on their blue third jerseys. The Flyers jerseys look really cheap as well. But last Friday in a mall in NJ on my travels to the Nassau Coliseum, the Devils jerseys available didn't look too bad either. Neither did the navy Islanders jerseys.

Even with all this in mind for my opinions, I would only buy a screen printed jersey if buying a sewn one from my chosen places weren't a viable option. But these days I find myself just saving my money until I can afford a replica with sewn on customization. Does it make me a jersey snob? So be it if it does but we have an expensive hobby and I don't believe I should settle for less than the best. I want to be proud of my collection and buying one of the shop NHL jerseys just won't give me that feeling.

While I would never buy a jersey from NHL Shop UNLESS they go back to the sewn customization that IJ does currently, I have noticed from looking at some jerseys in stores that some of the screen printing looks better on certain teams' jerseys than on others.

For instance, I think the screen printing on the Pens' home and away jerseys look like absolute crap, but it's not as bad on their blue third jerseys. The Flyers jerseys look really cheap as well. But last Friday in a mall in NJ on my travels to the Nassau Coliseum, the Devils jerseys available didn't look too bad either. Neither did the navy Islanders jerseys.

Even with all this in mind for my opinions, I would only buy a screen printed jersey if buying a sewn one from my chosen places weren't a viable option. But these days I find myself just saving my money until I can afford a replica with sewn on customization. Does it make me a jersey snob? So be it if it does but we have an expensive hobby and I don't believe I should settle for less than the best. I want to be proud of my collection and buying one of the shop NHL jerseys just won't give me that feeling.

I would say it does not make you a "jersey snob." You work hard for your money and just as you said, you want to be proud of your collection. Why buy a cheap looking jersey to add to your collection when you can buy a better quality one? Well said, save your cash. I have yet to buy a replica jersey and if I do, I sure as heck would buy one with sewn customization. In my opinion, the screen printed replicas stink. You wash them 4 or 5 times and they start peeling. Total trash.

It's sure as heck not worth $350 if he paid $400 for it. I think it would be funny to wear a "Gretzky" Coyotes jersey to a game. I wonder how many odd looks one would receive. :lol:

Ugh...yeah it does. That was the only CCM + orange shield jersey after the redesign too right? I thought they redid the jerseys to coincide with the opening of the Fleet Center in 1995.

Ugh...yeah it does. That was the only CCM + orange shield jersey after the redesign too right? I thought they redid the jerseys to coincide with the opening of the Fleet Center in 1995.

That was the first and only year of that design from CCM, The following year they switch to starter.

To add to that, the ones I saw being sold at a Champs in a local mall yesterday and at the Verizon Center last night now have somewhat darker-printed and even MORE noticeable (like a light grey) stitch marks within the white lettering and numbers in place of the white-printed stitch marks that Shop.NHL.com had been doing within the Caps white lettering/numbers. While I have no idea if Shop.NHL.com has also more recently switched from white printing to this darker printing for their stitch marks, yesterday's actually seemed slightly worse than the Ovie debacle I purchased from them last March without knowing any better at the time. The sad part is, the casual fans probably don't notice either type of printed stitch marks, or even if they do notice them, will assume that b/c they bought it at the arena or in a retail store (like Sports Authority or Champs) or from Shop.NHL.com that maybe they're supposed to be printed (and heat-pressed, etc.) rather than actually stitched because these places have name recognition and this creates the illusion of authenticity.

I really wish I had been warned beforehand, but I wasn't yet a member of this site (and had I been, I'm about 120% sure I wouldn't have bought it from Shop.NHL.com). However, once I found out that the way Shop.NHL.com had gone about customizing my Ovie wasn't the way it was really supposed to be, even as a replica, I went from being thrilled to own a replica of the best player, or one of the NHL's best players [if you think he's not THE best, you'd have to agree that he's among the best], to being angered and extremely appalled that Shop.NHL.com would do this. Since my customization had been free (so I couldn't recover the cost of customization from them), and it had been about 4-5 months before I realized that what they had done was wrong, I didn't really have any legit option for compensation from them (since they also don't allow returns of customized jerseys) other than to never purchase anything that would need customization from their site and to make sure that no one I know does either and send them to somewhere good like IJ if they want a replica customized.

I agree 100% about NHL.com. I knew nothing about jerseys until I came to this site. I learned a lot! I was originally going to by a Backstrom Wild alternate from NHL.com. Thankfully the members here urged me not to buy a jersey from them. I'm glad I didn't. Instead, I went to another local site and bought my North Stars jersey instead. I have been educated on what to look for when it comes to jerseys on line, and I thank all of you for that. I would rather by a fake (and I did) with the stitching instead of going to NHL.com. I wear my jerseys all the time, whether real or replicas, and I don't get upset when they get a little dirty. I'll just toss them in the wash. Thats why i mostly buy blanks, or have them stitched. I will be sending a few to IJ in a little while. The last thing I need is to spend up to $150.00 on a turd from NHL.com and have the thing fall apart.