2008 3rd Jersey Thread

Cooke-yMonster

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha,ha.....so the white nameplate is a throwback thing....but no picture is around to tell if it´s true the flyers used it.... :lol:

Some random dude think he can remember it was white.... :)

Here you go my pretties white name plate in all its vintage glory. This clip was from April 14, 1974, game 4 in Atlanta. Flyers trailing the flames 3-0 late in the second period when Dave Schultz hammers (get it) Brian Hextall.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVtF2X9N4cU

And guess who scores the game winner in OT to win that game and series 4 games to none? :

However, During the remainder of the playoffs the flyers did not wear the white name plates against the Rangers or Bruins. And notice the flames weren't wearing names plates at all. In 1972-75 NBC telecast weekly games on Sunday and covered the Stanley Cup finals. Since most NHL teams still didn't have players' names on the backs of jerseys, NBC persuaded NHL commissioner Clarence Campbell to make teams put on players' names on NBC telecasts beginning with the 1973-74 season to help viewers identify players. And guess what day April 14, 1974 was?? Yes, Sunday. I'm guessing the flames didn't have the name plates because they were the home team and a cheap Arse franchise.

btw, the flyers also wore those white name plates in game three of the Atlanta series. It is quite possible those are the only two games that the flyers ever wore the white name plates., unless someone can come up with a picture or video to the contrary. But because it happened in a playoff run to their first stanley cup, those white name plates are being featured on these throwback uniforms. Now that's how you incorporate history into a throwback. That design didn't come out of their marketing departments Arse...like some other thirds I've seen.

Also, sleeve numbers did overlap the sleeve striping on certain jerseys like the one Bobby Taylor is wearing. Especially numbers ranging from 20's-30's:

post-838-1223627544_thumb.jpg

and I rather the flyers used the logo like one in Rick Macleish's 1971 jersey (left). Notice the size difference of the crest and center of the P has a thicker white outline as opposed to the new throwback logo:

post-838-1223632188_thumb.jpg post-838-1223632254_thumb.jpg

Any other flyers jersey questions from back in the day? I'll be happy to research and try and find an answer for ya.

Craig

Because it's a retro design. You didn't expect them to go back to using durene sweaters did you? Even though that would be pretty wild.....

I wish I could find Durene material so I could make my own throwbacks! I wonder if the NHL had restrictions on jersey design for the throwbacks, hence that edge type design.

Craig

Apparently the Flyers did wear those white name plates throughout the 73-74 season.

post-838-1223674753_thumb.jpg

Here is a link to the history of the flyers jerseys. According to this website, they did use their home name plates on the road jerseys for NBC games: http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/jerseyhistory.cgi

and another clip I came across against the Canadiens Feb. 17, 1974(sunday game) I think this was Larry Robinson's first NHL game:

Craig

Did the Kings release their 3rd jersey yet?

Did the Kings release their 3rd jersey yet?

Many of the teams won't be having an official unveiling of the 3rds. For quite a few of them, the first time we see their 3rds will be in the first game in which they wear them.

The Kings are scheduled for Nov 22 for the 1st time they are planning on wearing their 3rd, so that will likely be the first time we see theirs.

• 3 weeks later...

New Doggies! So far, according to icethetics, its a leak... The jersey itself is to be introduced November 28th.

BluVLUq8X7COYOTES3RD.jpg

I can't say that I'm a fan of this one. I'm actually disappointed. I think the leaping Coyote would be better on the shoulder. I kinda like the coyote pawprint shoulder logo. I would've loved to have seen them add the moon logo in though and I still hope they don't get rid of the PHX logo.

And..."BlackArmor", set for a November 21st release for the San Jose Sharks...

http://icethetics.blogspot.com/2008/10/bla...next-month.html

While I agree the Coyotes third isn't horrible - I do feel a bit let down. I had pretty high hopes for this one and now it's just kinda so-so.

While I agree the Coyotes third isn't horrible - I do feel a bit let down. I had pretty high hopes for this one and now it's just kinda so-so.

I agree with the disappointment on that jersey. Why is it some great logos are on the shoulder and some chest logos should be on the shoulder yet they keep getting reversed???

Islanders reach back to their past for their third:

http://islanders.nhl.com/team/app/?service...rticleid=388905

guerin3rdfull.jpg

OK Coyotes, not bad but the logo needs something. Also not quite sure how I feel about having two different shoulder patches but the paw print logo doesn't look that bad.

Islanders 3rds are better than their normal jersey, but that really wasn't that hard of an item to accomplish.

OK Coyotes, not bad but the logo needs something. Also not quite sure how I feel about having two different shoulder patches but the paw print logo doesn't look that bad.

Good point on the shoulder patches being different. I've got a Columbus 3rd which I really love except for the fact that it has 2 different shoulder patches. Granted, not everything has to be symmetrical on jerseys (see ATL) but you gotta actually design it that way not just slap on different patches.

I also agree that the front logo needs something ... what about Phoenix or Coyotes in stylized text below it? Granted I don't think that's necessary on most jerseys, but it just looks like it's missing something now.

Some guy in Indonesia is selling Reebok premier new thirds right now. I am considering rolling the dice and buying a Sabres one because I have a discount code...

http://shop.ebay.com/items/__nhl-2008-thir...sidZm38Q2el1313