09 Winter Classic Jerseys Unveiling

HJimm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE OCTOBER 24, 2008

BLACKHAWKS AND RED WINGS TO UNVEIL NHL WINTER CLASSIC™ 2009 JERSEYS

DURING GAME BROADCAST ON OCTOBER 25

NEW YORK

(October 24, 2008) – The NHL Winter Classic 2009 jerseys will be unveiled during the broadcast of the game between the Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings on Saturday, Oct. 25. WGN-TV and FSN Detroit will broadcast the game, which begins at 7:30 p.m. CT (8:30pm ET) and marks the first time the two clubs will meet this season.

The Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings each will wear a unique, one-time-only jersey while playing in the NHL Winter Classic 2009 at Chicago’s historic Wrigley Field on New Year’s Day.

The game will be the 701st all-time meeting of the clubs – no NHL opponents have played more regular-season games against each other. Face-off is at 1 p.m. ET/Noon CT. NBC will provide live broadcast coverage of the game in the U.S. In Canada, CBC and RDS will televise the event live. NHL Radio on Westwood One will provide coverage for radio stations across North America and NHL.com will provide extensive digital video coverage.

NHL Winter Classic 2009 will be the second regular-season outdoor NHL game played in the

United States and the third regular-season outdoor game in League history.

Any guesses?

1992jersey.jpg

I really want that to be the wings jersey (so I can get a Hossa jersey) but what I've heard its going to be the Wings all white from the 50s, Id be happy with any of the Cougars era stuff. Its the white jersey the currently wear, but with white sleeves with a red stripe. I hear the Hawks will be in the barber pole jerseys, which I'm fine with. They do have some other throwbacks I wouldn't mind seeing out there.

Hoping for the old script D jersey that the Falcons wore....

Hoping for the old script D jersey that the Falcons wore....

From what I just read on the Blackhawks homepage, your wish is granted. :stickhndl:

And those Hawks jerseys rock!

Wondering what the prices will be....Just want a replica Zetterberg....can't seem to find any prices yet...

Wondering what the prices will be....Just want a replica Zetterberg....can't seem to find any prices yet...

Pricey, more than the regular jerseys sell for. From the Blackhawks site:

RBK Edge authentic (blank) $350

RBK Edge authentic (customized) $430

RBK replica (blank) $175

RBK replica (customized) $255

I love the jersey, and am actually thinking about getting one, despite the price. I suppose I could wait for the cheap knock-offs to hit eBay, but I've seen how bad they usually look....

If I do go for it, I'll probably just get a blank and have it lettered later at Triple Threat Sports or HawkQuarters.

$430 for a customized authentic.

Nice. <_<

I seem to recall a day about two years ago when a fully customized authentic was in the $260 range.

Thanks Reebok for all you've done to screw up our hobby.

Interesting thing on the pricing already. I was just looking at the WC stuff on the shop NHL site and I see a difference in some of the pricing for the Hawks jerseys.

Actually, I suppose its because the pre-order form prices on the Blackhawks site were for order being taken by HawkQuarters.

The NHL shop lists these prices for Hawks jerseys (Detriot jerseys have same price structure):

RBK Edge authentic (blank) $349.99

RBK Edge authentic (customized) no price listed yet

RBK replica (blank) $149.99

RBK replica (customized with Toews or Kane) $219.99 .... so apparently $70 to customize a replica

A bit cheaper than HawkQuarters for the replicas, but I think I remember more than one post here or elsewhere about some not so great customization jobs done on jerseys ordered from the NHL shop.

If I'm going to be shelling out an arm and half my rear for one of these things, I want it to at least be done right, you know?

Man, over 200 bucks for a replica and I totally don't trust NHL.com to get it right either...Wow, I'm pretty ticked right now...and I hate the RBK jerseys to begin with...and now this total jackup on price...not sure what I'm going to do...

Here is a few questions...If I order a replica from NHL.com will the name and numbers be the crappy screen on ones people have had problems with when ordering replicas? Or will Ice Jerseys possible have some? Or if not I wonder if I could order a blank replica and send it to Ice Jerseys for proper sew job...Wonder if I could just send it directly from NHL to Ice Jerseys.....

Here is a few questions...

If I order a replica from NHL.com will the name and numbers be the crappy screen on ones people have had problems with when ordering replicas? - Probably

Or will Ice Jerseys possible have some? - I would imagine that icejerseys will have the Winter Classic jerseys

Or if not I wonder if I could order a blank replica and send it to Ice Jerseys for proper sew job... - Always an option

Wonder if I could just send it directly from NHL to Ice Jerseys..... - Doubt it

Boy, I gotta say, I love these jerseys. I like the way the Hawks one looks with just the brown and white bars. It's a lot less cluttered than the 92 TBTC one...and what can you say about the Wings one? Fantastic. I really dig the Wings logo on the shoulders too. That is wild. That's two home runs right there. But 349 for an authentic? Pass.

Hopefully Ice jerseys will have some and I will just go through them for the replica and the PROPER sewing job.

It still makes me mad that I still can't get a jersey like the Sabres had at the Winter Classic with the ties. Does anyone know why that was?

'cause Reebok sucks. They have zero idea that people want what the players wear and try to half-Arse everything and expect that fans will eat it up without questions.

Boy, I gotta say, I love these jerseys. I like the way the Hawks one looks with just the brown and white bars. It's a lot less cluttered than the 92 TBTC one...and what can you say about the Wings one? Fantastic. I really dig the Wings logo on the shoulders too. That is wild. That's two home runs right there. But 349 for an authentic? Pass.

And that right there folks is the problem with Reebok in a nutshell. A dedicated fan who knows his stuff loves the jerseys and has no plans to buy one.

$350 is not what many of us are willing to pay for what is essentially a fancy shirt. It's a car payment out here in the real world.

Hi all,

We now have the 2009 Winter Classic Jerseys available for pre-order on IJ. Only the premier replica for now, but at $145 (lower than NHL.com's $149.99), and as far as I know, NHL offers layered twill, but likely not sewn to the jersey for the replica. Ours are done with authentic sewing as worn on-ice as always. I am sure we will run out of these pretty quickly, so pre-order is the way to go if you want to be sure you get yours. We expect to receive them in early december. Check them out here:

Chicago Blackhawks 2009 Winter Classic Premier Replica NHL Hockey Jersey

Detroit Red Wings 2009 Winter Classic Premier Replica NHL Hockey Jersey

• 4 months later...

Both jerseys are out of stock right now. Any chance you'll be getting more in the future? I need a Chicago/Toews authentic.

Both jerseys are out of stock right now. Any chance you'll be getting more in the future? I need a Chicago/Toews authentic.

You would be much better off addressing a question like this directly to Ice Jerseys customer service than posting it on the message board.

• 4 weeks later...

The wings wore their winter classic jerseys in their last game against Chicago!!!

Does that mean it will become their 3rd jersey!?

last home game against chicago, they play again tomorrow. anyway, I know the Hawks are making the WC jerseys their 3rd for next year do maybe the Wings are doing the same?

I doubt the Wings will make it their third. They've never had a third jersey and they really fought kicking and screaming to NOT wear their TBTC jerseys back in 1992. I think they just did it as a part of this final home-and-home series with the Hawks. I really wish Chicago would've opted to wear theirs too.

Maybe Detroit was trying to rekindle memories of 1994. Not many people know this but the Hawks and Wings actually wore their TBTC jerseys that year for a home-and-home series against one another.

I doubt the Wings will make it their third. They've never had a third jersey and they really fought kicking and screaming to NOT wear their TBTC jerseys back in 1992. I think they just did it as a part of this final home-and-home series with the Hawks. I really wish Chicago would've opted to wear theirs too.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks wear theirs tomorrow.

I'd like that actually. I'm sure the Wings would wear their regular road jerseys though. But hey, if they both wore the thirds, even better! Is that the NBC game tomorrow?