Edge 1.0 vs 2.0

rabinsurance

I don't know how many of you have actually seen of felt the difference between the Reebok Edge authentics 1.0, which started last season, and the 2.0, which quickly replaced the original version. Many players complained that new material was too warm for the players and did not allow the moisture to dissipate. Reebok began replacing their "new" material with jerseys made of "older" material, the Edge 2.0, which is now standard. The NHL and AHL use the Edge jerseys. I just received a 2.0 of the white jersey of the Lake Erie Monsters of the AHL. I took a picture of the arms to show the difference between the 1.0 and 2.0 Edge's. Sorry if the picture quality isn't great.

IMGA0253.jpg

At the top is the 2.0, which features breathable material, similar to the 6100's. On the bottom is the 1.0, which used a stretchy-type material. Notice the abscence of air holes. It seems that the only areas of the 2.0 Edge's which use the "new" material is the sides and the back. The front panel, sleeves, and shoulders all use the "older" material.

Rab, is the Edge 2.0 you showed a retail version or is it a game issue jersey acquired directly from the team? In other words, are they now selling Edge 2.0 jerseys to the public or are they still just limited to the teams themselves?

Rab, is the Edge 2.0 you showed a retail version or is it a game issue jersey acquired directly from the team? In other words, are they now selling Edge 2.0 jerseys to the public or are they still just limited to the teams themselves?

That is a retail version. They are selling them in the team shop. There are still some 1.0's in stock , also. It was manufactured on April 23, 2008, after last season was over. But from where I sit, I get a very close-up look at the players, and this is identical to what they are wearing right now.

As for gawdawful's question, the front panel, shoulders, and most of the sleeves do not stretch like the 1.0, but more like the 6100. The sides and the back do stretch quite a bit. But that white part of the sleeve in my picture is different from the 1.0. It uses the same Edge material that is used on the sides under the arms. The Edge 1.0 used a different nylon material without airholes. But 60% of the 2.0 uses the same pre-Edge material used on the 6100's since CCM/Koho/Reebok took exclusive license in 2001. So much for the "revolutionary material".

Edited for clarity 11/24/08 9:02 EST.

Edited by rabinsurance

Speaking of this topic (and I'm not trying to hijack this thread, honest! :rolleyes: .) I'm actually looking at purchasing a 2.0 gamer right now and need a little advice from you guys. This is a jersey that I'd like to wear to the games as well, so I want it to be big.

I have a 2007 All-Star authentic size 60 which is obviously a 1.0. It's a great jersey and I really love the detail, but I'm not super excited by how it fits on me. I would like the torso a little longer and the sleeves a littler shorter.

As far as I know, current players have never worn a 60. The largest the Edge's were ever made for game use were a 58 (or a 58GC) in the 1.0s. I actually have tried on a game issued size 58 jersey and returned it because it was too small for me to wear. Then the 2.0s came out and the mysterious size 58+ came into play. I have been in contact with Barry Meisel from Meigray and he said these jerseys were equivalent to a size 60. For whatever reason, RBK didn't want to actually size them in a 60. Whatever.

So here's the question I need help with. Any thoughts on whether an Edge 2.0 size 58+ would be larger than my 1.0 size 60? I would love to add this jersey to my collection, but I'd like to to fit me better than my size 60 1.0. I know there are differences in the fabric and everything, and the images I've seen look like a little different cut on the 2.0, especially on the sleeve cuffs being larger and the sleeves looking like they may be a little shorter.

What do you guys think? Any advice/numbers/measurements/encouragement/discouragement etc. would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...

I have had both the 60 in the 1.0 and 58+ in the 2.0. I obtained the 2.0 Flyers gamer from Meigray. I have to say that the 58+ is by far the better jersey. The 58+ body fits similar to the 60 maybe a bit more defined. The air knit material on the front and sleeves give the 2.0 jersey more substance and that old feel. The sleeves are a bit shorter (1/2 inch to an inch) which was better for me. Overall the 2.0 is a jersey you can wear and not worry about ruining. If you are a fan of the old 6100 authentics go for the 2.0.

• 11 months later...

any news on these 2.0s being sold to the public yet?? will rbk ever admit the 1.0s were an utter failure?

id love to get 2.0s to custom, rather than always getting GI or game worn ones, which is the only way to obtain them

any news on these 2.0s being sold to the public yet?? will rbk ever admit the 1.0s were an utter failure?

id love to get 2.0s to custom, rather than always getting GI or game worn ones, which is the only way to obtain them

I think it's odd that 2.0's are sold for leagues other than the NHL. If I remember right, someone has a Lake Erie Monsters 2.0 that is a blank authentic and the Seattle Thunderbirds jersey I bought when the Edge hit the WHL is a 2.0.

Reebok won't say the 1.0 is a failure while there are still players in the league wearing them. Granted, more players wear the 2.0, but it's not as if the 1.0 doesn't exist anymore.

My guess as to why 2.0 jerseys are accessible for leagues like the WHL because by the time the CHL made the switch, they just made 2.0 for them. As far as the NHL goes, players still have a choice, and unless something has changed over the last few months, 2.0 will be exclusive to NHL players until Reebok sells more of the 1.0 jerseys that are still in the warehouse.

Edited by Van27

I think it's odd that 2.0's are sold for leagues other than the NHL. If I remember right, someone has a Lake Erie Monsters 2.0 that is a blank authentic and the Seattle Thunderbirds jersey I bought when the Edge hit the WHL is a 2.0.

Seeing that I started this thread with that, I am the one with the Lake Erie blanks. In three years in the AHL, they have worn (other than special "one-off" event jerseys) 7 different Edge jerseys. Year one, 07-08, home and road 1.0 "M" logo. Late in that year, they began using 2.0 jerseys (total 4). In year two, 08-09, the "M" logo home and road 2.0 were joined by a third black jersey, 2.0, with the "monster" logo, so far 5. This year, the main home and road jerseys are 2.0 with the "monster" logo, and the third has carried over, for a grand total of 7 Reebok Edge 1.0 and 2.0 jerseys. I have all of them. They just had a promotion where they wore pink jerseys, along with a pink ice surface, for breast cancer awareness. The jerseys were Reeboks, but not Edge cuts. They were dye-sublimated, did not have the diaper cut, and the rear logos were at the right rear, not in the middle like the current Edge. The sublimated jerseys reminded me of the old IHL days, where most of the jerseys were subbed and you had some great designs, like the Spiders, Ice Dogs, Lumberjacks, and Grizzlies.

I am not too good at determining the difference between RBK EDGE 1.0 and 2.0 jerseys, so I could use some help here.

Does this look like a 1.0 or a 2.0?

weekes1.jpg

weekes2.jpg

Any help is appreciated! :)

I am not too good at determining the difference between RBK EDGE 1.0 and 2.0 jerseys, so I could use some help here.

Does this look like a 1.0 or a 2.0?

I couldn't get a good look at the pics (photobucket is blocked at work for me so I had to look using my phone) but thanks to the handy-dandy MeiGray population reports, should be an Edge 1.0.

From the 2007-08 population report, Kevin Weekes only had two red Devils jerseys with #40, a red pre-season Edge 1.0 and a red set1 GI that was also an Edge 1.0. He apparently switched to #1 and stayed in an Edge 1.0 for the regular season. For the playoffs he switched to an Edge 2.0 and based on the 2008-09 population report, he has stayed with Edge 2.0 jerseys since.

2007-08

E05171	NJ Devils  Weekes, Kevin  40  Red Set 1 - Preseason Only			58G	1.0
E05310	NJ Devils  Weekes, Kevin  40  Red Set 1 GI					58G	1.0
E04911	NJ Devils  Weekes, Kevin  40  White Set 1 - Preseason Only			58G	1.0
E05050	NJ Devils  Weekes, Kevin  40  White Set 1 GI					58G	1.0
E05187	NJ Devils  Weekes, Kevin  1   Red w/ Opening Night of Prudential Center Patch	58G	1.0
E05182	NJ Devils  Weekes, Kevin  1   Red w/ Opening Night of Prudential Center Patch	58G	1.0
E05313	NJ Devils  Weekes, Kevin  1   Red w/ Opening Night of Prudential Center Patch	58G	1.0
E05308	NJ Devils  Weekes, Kevin  1   Red Set 1						58G	1.0
E04910	NJ Devils  Weekes, Kevin  1   White Set 1					58G	1.0
E04950	NJ Devils  Weekes, Kevin  1   Red Set 2 / Playoffs				58+G	2.0
E04939	NJ Devils  Weekes, Kevin  1   White Set 2 / Playoffs				58+G	2.0

2008-09

F06047	NJ Devils  Weekes, Kevin  1   Red Set 1						58+G	2.0
F06158	NJ Devils  Weekes, Kevin  1   White Set 1					58+G	2.0
F06338	NJ Devils  Weekes, Kevin  1   Red Set 2						58+G	2.0
F06355	NJ Devils  Weekes, Kevin  1   White Set 2					58+G	2.0
F06046	NJ Devils  Weekes, Kevin  1   Red Set 3 / Playoffs				58+G	2.0
F06166	NJ Devils  Weekes, Kevin  1   White Set 3 / Playoffs				58+G	2.0

• 1 month later...

OK - just so I'm clear - if my Edge jersey has air knit fabric from the armpits down, and the entire back, then I own a 2.0? A 1.0 is that stretchy material throughout?

I got my Flyers authentic from Riley Cote's personal website, so I'm not sure where he gets his....

OK - just so I'm clear - if my Edge jersey has air knit fabric from the armpits down, and the entire back, then I own a 2.0? A 1.0 is that stretchy material throughout?

I got my Flyers authentic from Riley Cote's personal website, so I'm not sure where he gets his....

Post pictures, it will be easier to tell.

Post pictures, it will be easier to tell.

Please include pics of the neck tagging so we can first determine if it's possibly a Game Issue. If it is a 2.0, my first guess would be that somehow he's selling GIs acquired from the team equipment manager.

That's right. The only sections that were air-knit were the front panel, the shoulder yoke and the arms. Everything else was the 1.0 x-trafil.

I thought the easiest way to tell is whether the edge jersey has reinforced (double) elbows. To my understanding, Edge 1.0 jerseys do not have double elbows.

I thought the easiest way to tell is whether the edge jersey has reinforced (double) elbows. To my understanding, Edge 1.0 jerseys do not have double elbows.

That is one way to tell. I wanted to try some more pictures that show the difference in 1.0 and 2.0, hopefully better in the resolution department, this time with my Blackberry.

Edge 1.0, body and side material

IMG00013-20100501-1227.jpg

Edge 2.0, body and side material

IMG00014-20100501-1228.jpg

Edge 1.0, shoulder (patch area)

IMG00016-20100501-1230.jpg

Edge 2.0, shoulder (patch area)

IMG00017-20100501-1231.jpg

I used the same team, home 07-08 Lake Erie Monsters. And yes, the 2.0 had reinforced elbows, where as the 1.0 does not.

• 8 years later...
41 minutes ago, AParrotLooksAt40 said:

Does anyone know when Chicago officially ditched the 1.0 for all players? 2008?

I believe half way through the first season they were introduced, so 2007-2008 season.

Easiest thing to do is look up gamers...

https://www.gamewornauctions.net/products/2007_08_Craig_Adams_Chicago_Blackhawks_Game_Worn_Jersey_WWW_Photo_Match_Team_Letter-6545-154.html