Rangers in talks to possibly reacquire Avery

akteon

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02062009/sport...back_153777.htm

Looks like the Rangers are interested in Avery. Dallas currently doesn't have an AHL affiliate so the have to send their prospects to other teams AHL affiliates - the Rangers want Avery to come to Hartford. Then assuming everything works out, the Stars would call him up, putting him on re-entry waivers since he doesn't have a 2-way contract. If the Rangers grab him then, they only have to pick up half of his remaining salary (while Dallas would still foot the other half). While at first it sounds crazy that Dallas would agree, you gotta think they just want to be done with him and being stuck with only half his salary is still better than being on the hook for all of it and taking the cap hit.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02062009/sport...back_153777.htm

Looks like the Rangers are interested in Avery. Dallas currently doesn't have an AHL affiliate so the have to send their prospects to other teams AHL affiliates - the Rangers want Avery to come to Hartford. Then assuming everything works out, the Stars would call him up, putting him on re-entry waivers since he doesn't have a 2-way contract. If the Rangers grab him then, they only have to pick up half of his remaining salary (while Dallas would still foot the other half). While at first it sounds crazy that Dallas would agree, you gotta think they just want to be done with him and being stuck with only half his salary is still better than being on the hook for all of it and taking the cap hit.

Jags did an interview earlier this year where he praised Avery's on ice skill during their time with the Rangers. He does have value, he just seems to be such a moron in the dressing room and off ice.

Jags did an interview earlier this year where he praised Avery's on ice skill during their time with the Rangers. He does have value, he just seems to be such a moron in the dressing room and off ice.

Jagr loved Avery - which is one thing that concerns me since Avery won't have such a strong ally this time. The Rangers are much different now without Jagr (and Shanny) in the locker room.

The Ranger's record when Avery played vs games he didn't last season is a strong argument to bring him back. Despite his circus antics, I've seen him score some nice goals and aggravate opponents into taking some dumb penalties. If he does come back to the Rangers, I can only hope for another Devils/Rangers playoff series.

Jagr loved Avery - which is one thing that concerns me since Avery won't have such a strong ally this time. The Rangers are much different now without Jagr (and Shanny) in the locker room.

The Ranger's record when Avery played vs games he didn't last season is a strong argument to bring him back. Despite his circus antics, I've seen him score some nice goals and aggravate opponents into taking some dumb penalties. If he does come back to the Rangers, I can only hope for another Devils/Rangers playoff series.

Didn't he insult Henrik in a pre game warm up when dallas played NY this year?

Didn't he insult Henrik in a pre game warm up when dallas played NY this year?

While I've heard that he and Lundqvist didn't get along while the were teammates (which must have been odd with Henrik's twin brother Joel playing in Dalls), it was Avery and back-up goalie Stephen Valiquette who got into it during warm-ups when he returned to MSG.

While I've heard that he and Lundqvist didn't get along while the were teammates (which must have been odd with Henrik's twin brother Joel playing in Dalls), it was Avery and back-up goalie Stephen Valiquette who got into it during warm-ups when he returned to MSG.

What would New York sports be without a little drama thrown into the mix? There is a goal who plays in my rec league that has the exact pads as Valiquette. That is dangerously close to the line of fandom and madness but they sure do look sharp!

Looks like he was assigned to the Wolf Pack: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=408649

Looks like he was assigned to the Wolf Pack: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=408649

Just a matter of time now. Never a dull moment in NY sports...

If they bring him back they don't have to put a muzzle on him, they just need to convince him that he's better off with a muzzle on. Then maybe we'll see his true potential. But New York just needs to turn back into the team they were at the starting of the season, and not try and fix a sputtering team by bringing in a distraction. It's a little desperate and premature. Drury and Gomez need to take better control over the team they should be leading, and start producing more. And the rest of the team has to realize that they can compete, but they need to work harder for it. I hope New York picks it up in time for the playoffs, but for now they lack heart and effort (Lundqvist aside).

If they bring him back they don't have to put a muzzle on him, they just need to convince him that he's better off with a muzzle on. Then maybe we'll see his true potential. But New York just needs to turn back into the team they were at the starting of the season, and not try and fix a sputtering team by bringing in a distraction. It's a little desperate and premature. Drury and Gomez need to take better control over the team they should be leading, and start producing more. And the rest of the team has to realize that they can compete, but they need to work harder for it. I hope New York picks it up in time for the playoffs, but for now they lack heart and effort (Lundqvist aside).

...oh yeah, I almost forgot; I hope Redden retires sooner than later. I watched that bum waste my time game after game here in Ottawa, and I was happy to see him go. Yeah he'd make a nice pass, and score a goal or two, but it was always after he'd messed up and already given up a few. I'm still amazed at how much the Rangers are paying him, and I was initially pissed, 'cause I like the Rangers. I wanted to see him go out West, shrivel and die; I've never liked watching him play, and he doesn't deserve half of what he's been payed. I'm bitter, I know. Anyways, good riddance to an ex coke-head, pain in the Arse here in Ottawa.

ps - he was actually really good here in the community and he seems like a real nice guy; I think that's why we kept him over Chara (huge mistake), but props to Redden for being a nice guy...but please retire ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Avery placed on re-entry waivers...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=411790

Not sure how he'll mesh with the current team, let alone the new coach, but I'm kinda glad to have him back.

I've got a spare Hartford Wolfpack jersey (pre-edge) that I might just get customized as Avery for kicks to celebrate his recent time in the AHL.

Well, I know people are all excited about the Rangers destroying the Avalanche on Saturday night...consequently, the worst team in the West...but what chemistry does this team have right now? I'm not saying that Avery is a perfect fit and/or tunraround; in fact, I'm not really a fan of his coming back but at this point, how can it hurt? At the very least, they end up right back where they were. Possibly missing the playoffs.