Jersey Sizing

PensJerseys

I've become rather confused lately on jersey sizing from 1990-2006.

I just started out collecting jerseys, but it seems to me that there is a major difference in size ranges on authentics. My new '93 road Pens jersey is a 44, but the newer ones are higher in scale, yes?

I've seen Reebok/CCM size charts but they never seem to address older jersey styles and then I get even more confused. What exactly is a 'M' equivalent for early 90's, mid 90's-2000's, and then for the new Edge jerseys?

Thanks for the help guys!

Edited by blurryhaze312

It's been my experience that jerseys made before 1999 were smaller than those made after 1999. For instance, I have several pre-1999 CCM 52's that fit me like post-1999 CCM 48's. The only exception to that is Nike. They seemed to go the other way. I have Nike 48's that fit like post-2000 CCM 52's... Nike and 52's that are like tents on me. It seemed like Pro Player took over the Nike scale when they replaced Starter in 1999 too.

I'd say that after 2000, all the jerseys became the same size and I guess that stands to reason since that was when CCM took complete control over the entire league's jerseys. This EDGE crap is a whole other story though. I don't have enough experience with those to make a good judgement on them.

It's been my experience that jerseys made before 1999 were smaller than those made after 1999. For instance, I have several pre-1999 CCM 52's that fit me like post-1999 CCM 48's.

Yea, noticed that as well. With the '93 jersey I have, it's almost like it's what I would call a 'Small'; I like the fit of it better than the last CCM jerseys before the Reebok Edge series. Thanks for the reply.

Edited by blurryhaze312

• 2 weeks later...

Well, in so many words, the 56 is gonna be bigger. That's about as much info I can give you. The sleeves will be longer, the chest will be larger by a few inches in front/back and the height will be longer too.

Thanks for that size chart, i tried to look for one myself but could only find a chart for the edge jerseys.........so acording to that chart, 52 and 56 is about the same in sleeve and jersey length.....surprising to me.

Were the jerseys smaller before Reebok took over CCM ?

From my experience, jersey sizing didn't change once CCM/Koho took over in 2000-01 until 2007-08 when RBK released the Edge (exception to that being the 2006-07 All-Star jerseys which were Edge). When RBK purchased CCM/Koho in 2004, they didn't change anything on the jerseys but the tagging.

Okay thanks, i have an authentic CCM Buffalo from 1993 size 52, i was just wondering if a size 52 in the 6100 series was bigger...............those CCM´s from 1993-94 was not called 6100, were they?

I don't recall seeing anything about "model numbers" in the pre-2000 jerseys. I personally don't know how the CCM Maska jerseys from the early 90's relate size-wise to the 6100s. I do know from personal experience that the Starter mesh jerseys from 1996-99 varied quite a bit in sizing.

I don't mind doing some measuring when I get home from work, if that'll help but it won't really be apples to apples, as I've only got 52, 54, and a 58 in the old CCMs but all of my 6100's are 56.

I don't recall seeing anything about "model numbers" in the pre-2000 jerseys. I personally don't know how the CCM Maska jerseys from the early 90's relate size-wise to the 6100s. I do know from personal experience that the Starter mesh jerseys from 1996-99 varied quite a bit in sizing.

I don't mind doing some measuring when I get home from work, if that'll help but it won't really be apples to apples, as I've only got 52, 54, and a 58 in the old CCMs but all of my 6100's are 56.

Okay, i see.....no need to bring out the ruler then..... :)

So Maska was the name of those old jerseys, or is it the name of the material they were made of?

So Maska was the name of those old jerseys, or is it the name of the material they were made of?

This is definitely an area I'm a bit gray on, but here's my understanding - Maska was a jersey manufacturer in the 80's (probably earlier as well) who was bought out by CCM in the mid 80's. The jerseys then had a CCM tag on the hem of the jersey, but also had a neck tag that mentioned "manufactured by Maska". That's why I've often seen them referred to as CCM Maska. The materials for the jerseys were either a polyester knit called Ultrafill or a heavy nylon mesh.

okay thanks......ccm buys maska.....reebok buys ccm.....what will be next....LOL...who will buy up reebok, oh wait Adidas allready did that........ surprising the jerseys don´t read "adidas".......

Adidas is already on NBA jerseys.

It's only a matter of time... Mind you though, I prefer adidas to reebok.

Adidas is already on NBA jerseys.

It's only a matter of time... Mind you though, I prefer adidas to reebok.

Germany Vs. England....two countrys known for great hockey players.....well that is perhaps not fair, Germany has produced some good players........and the British...........well, they got no teeth.....guess it´s a tie..... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Here's a size chart I found online for RBK 6100s /CCM 550s

6100_550_sizes.gif

Really helpful. Thanks.

Well, you're going in two different directions with Starter and Pro Player. Pro Player was much bigger than Starter was. And regarding the CCM, are you talking pre-1999-2000 or post-1999-2000? Because there is a difference in size. Post is larger than pre.

That one would compare to a Pro Player 52 more than a Starter most likely. Larger in the chest and longer arms. Probably longer in the hemline too.

That one would compare to a Pro Player 52 more than a Starter most likely. Larger in the chest and longer arms. Probably longer in the hemline too.

Thanks Brilliant. I normally wear a 48 CCM, but can get away with a 52, so Starter 52 sounds like it should be fine. PP, maybe not.

Hope IJs are getting all this for the knowledge base :P

• 1 year later...

Any know what the dimensions of a authentic CCM size 44 jersey from the early 90's is? I need to know the length sleeve end to end , armpit to armpit, and neckline to front hem. I can't seem to find any information on this size of jersey made by CCM anywhere. Thanks.

I'm not too sure about the wingspan but I can tell you that the chest will be about 22" across and the length will be in the 27" to 28" range.

If I remember CCM/Maska sizing in the 90s is a lot different

Authentic sizing was 44, 48, 52, 54, 56, 58 (size 54, 58 I think were only available from the stores that were doing the jerseys for the team)

I think determining sizes went like this: measure length armpit to armpit and double it to get the size i.e 22" across is a size 44

Remember that players usually wore equipment underneath and back then, equipment was a lot smaller i.e shoulder pads, elbow pads

I think when equipment started getting bigger around the mid 90s to now, that jerseys kept the sizing numbers but the actual sizes became bigger. Wasn't Starter jerseys the ones that started getting way bigger than CCMs before them?

I know that beginning with Starter, size 44 was dropped and size 60 was introduced.

I believe all the other companies following Starter (ProPlayer, CCM/Koho/Reebok) just kept the sizing of the jerseys.

I do not have enough experience with RBK Edge/Edge 1.0/Edge 2.0 jerseys for sizing because the jerseys became "streamlined" and then changed back to bigger sizes when players complained. I have seen Edge 2.0 Size 58+ and maybe Size 60+ but i do not know if that mean bigger arms or chest size.

Edited by grandmoff