Rangers fire Tom Renney, may hire Tortorella

akteon

The Rangers fired their head coach Tom Renney today and assistant coach Perry Pearn.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=268362&amp...s=headlines_nhl

Rumor has it that the Rangers are in talks with former TB John Tortorella.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=268369&amp...os=topStory_nhl

Personally, I was a big fan of Renney but I do agree with the criticisms that his "thoughtful" approach to coaching may not be right for the current Rangers team. It was great with players like Jagr and Shanny who had strong personalities, but the current team appears to need someone to light a fire under their rears.

Two interesting tidbits that come out of this - the TSN article points out that all 4 teams that started the season in Europe have now fired their head coaches. Secondly, what does this coaching change mean for the Rangers potential spark-plug in waiting, Sean Avery - will he be stuck in Hartford playing in the AHL forever now? (well atleast until this summer when Dallas will buy out his contract to finally be rid of him).

I'll miss Renney's calm demeanor, but I think Torts will be able to get some life out of a dead team of over paid free agents acquisitions. I just hope that he can also help mentor the younger Rangers (Dubinsky, Dawes, Staal).

But I agree, Brilliant - no matter what it will be entertaining.

But I agree, Brilliant - no matter what it will be entertaining.

He has ready made quotes for the back pages of the New York rags. You have to wonder if he can get anything out of the current blue line for Rangers or if Sather will actually make trades at the deadline.