Playoff time!

The way the Hurricanes turned that game inside out at the end was so shocking to everyone involved. Seriously, the Devils were a minute and a half away from winning the series with Brodeur in net. That building was ready to celebrate and....

Nothing.

No win. No party. No joy.

Poof! Season's over.

It was just so remarkable how swiftly and completely the entire thing was flipped on it's head.

Gary Bettman must be bouncing up and down in his chair with the Crosby/Ovechkin match up.

And you know NBC is peeing themselves over that one. Like I've said before, NBC stands for Nothing But Crosby, so you know they're happy.

I really think the matchups in the West are great. I'm very excited to see Chicago vs. Vancouver.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, I was out of town and didn't get to watch either game last night, so I followed via my cell phone. I was happy to see the Capitals had pulled out the win before it went into OT (sorry Rangers fans, but I've had the Caps picked to win that series) and then I swapped over to the Devils/Canes game. One minute it was looking like the Devils were on their way to round 2 and then the next I had dozed off for several minutes and when I woke up, the Canes had won 4-3. Wow...words couldn't even begin to describe my surprise on that one (I can't imagine what the Devils and their fans were thinking). It wouldn't surprise me to see the Canes give the Bruins a nice fight in the 2nd round.

I'm very interested to see the Wings-Ducks series. The goaltending is especially what I'm curious to see. I'm also excited for that Pens-Caps series.

I'm not a Bruins fan, but I thought I'd post these here since they're on the march. I got a good laugh out of these commercials... http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,155269

Unfortunately, I was out of town and didn't get to watch either game last night, so I followed via my cell phone. I was happy to see the Capitals had pulled out the win before it went into OT (sorry Rangers fans, but I've had the Caps picked to win that series) and then I swapped over to the Devils/Canes game. One minute it was looking like the Devils were on their way to round 2 and then the next I had dozed off for several minutes and when I woke up, the Canes had won 4-3. Wow...words couldn't even begin to describe my surprise on that one (I can't imagine what the Devils and their fans were thinking). It wouldn't surprise me to see the Canes give the Bruins a nice fight in the 2nd round.

I'm very interested to see the Wings-Ducks series. The goaltending is especially what I'm curious to see. I'm also excited for that Pens-Caps series.

I'm not a Bruins fan, but I thought I'd post these here since they're on the march. I got a good laugh out of these commercials... http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,155269

Those Bruins commercials were pretty good, I laughed quite hard at the Don't Date Within the Division one.

The Blackhawks sure turned it on in the 2nd. I was flipping between that game, the Athletics/Mariners Baseball game, and the Sprint Cup race. The Canucks were up 2-1 when I changed and when I got back to the hockey game the Blackhawks were up 4-3. They just had every intention of going back to Chicago with the series tied.

The Hawks played a great second period but Vancouver let up a little after making it 2-0 in the first. Luongo made some insane saves but then the pucks just started to find their way behind him. I think Chicago does it in six now. The hockey gods will be smiling if there's a Detroit-Chicago Western Conference Final.

Two really good games today. Ducks/Wings going into a 3rd Overtime was quite fun to watch.

Bruins/Hurricanes was a decent game, but in that 3rd Period, Cam Ward won that game for the Hurricanes. The Bruins outshot Carolina 16-3 in that 3rd Period and Ward just kept making the saves.

I want the Bruins to win the series but it isn't gonna be as easy as their first round matchup was.

Looks like we got some battles in round 2. I was doing some work at my mother-in-law's place so I was able to catch bits and pieces of the Caps-Pens and Wings-Ducks series. The Caps-Pens game seemed like it was back and forth quite a bit from what I could tell. The Wings-Ducks game seemed the same way, though I noticed it looked like the Wings got a little sloppy towards the end of the 3rd period. The Ducks look like they are the same battlin' Ducks from 2007. I'm quite impressed with their turnaround.

The Nucks had a good win last night but one has to ask what has happened to the goaltending for Chicago? Vancouver has had 5, 3 and 3 goals in the first 3 games!

I think that the Anaheim/Detroit might just be THE series of this round. Right games, they clearly hate each other, great D, should be really fun over the next few games.

Get a load of the Carolina Hurricanes! They are lookin' good.

Carolina has played a great series, was hoping the Bruins were gonna win it all, but they got a lot of work to do now to get out of the 2nd round.

The Bruins played extremely well in todays game to force Game 7 against the Hurricanes. They just seemed to have that little extra step today. When they scored 2 minutes into the game, I looked at my wife and said "They are going back to Boston to play Game 7". She gave me this silly look looking like I was crazy, but they just seemed to be outhustling Carolina that early.

Ducks/Wings just finished the 1st, good physical 1st period. Looking forward to the last periods of this one.

Wow, 3 Game 7's out of 4 series in the 2nd Round. Gonna be a fun 2 days of watching do or die hockey.

Cardiac Canes ride again, Walker with the winner in OT. For some reason, I wasn't a believer in the Bruins all year, but if you'd have told me the Canes would be on their way to the Eastern Conference Finals, I wouldn't have believed that either. It is something to think about how successful the Canes have been this decade. They are quite the franchise.

The Ducks-Red Wings game 7 was quite enjoyable. I'm a Pacific Division fan, so I hated to see it work out the way it did for Anaheim. However, I think its safe to say those two teams have quite a rivalry going now.

Blackhawks-Red Wings

Penguins-Hurricanes

Good grief, its not out of the realm of possibility we could see a rematch of last season or a rematch of the 92 Finals (Pens-Hawks) or a rematch of the 02 Finals (Canes-Wings).

Wow both Game 7's were good. Only downside is all 3 teams I wanted to win their Game 7's in the 2nd round, all lost. So I was hoping the Bruins would win the Cup.

So in Conference Finals we got in the East the Hurricanes vs the Penguins and in the West the Red Wings vs the Blackhawks.

So now I guess I am hoping for a Blackhawks vs Hurricanes Finals.

• 2 weeks later...

So looks like we are gonna get a repeat of last years Finals. Not really a fan of either team, but as a fan of the game of course I will watch. So this year, am hoping the Penguins win it.

So looks like we are gonna get a repeat of last years Finals. Not really a fan of either team, but as a fan of the game of course I will watch. So this year, am hoping the Penguins win it.

I think a repeat is just what this league needs from a PR perspective. There was an incredible interest in the Finals last year by non-hockey interests (ESPN, newspapers, etc.) and I think this year will be no different. I think the Pens will give the Wings a lot more trouble especially if BOTH Malkin and Crosby show up to play. They have been lights out this playoff run.

I think a repeat is just what this league needs from a PR perspective. There was an incredible interest in the Finals last year by non-hockey interests (ESPN, newspapers, etc.) and I think this year will be no different. I think the Pens will give the Wings a lot more trouble especially if BOTH Malkin and Crosby show up to play. They have been lights out this playoff run.

You know, I hadn't really thought about that until you mentioned it. With the way the Finals interest went up last year, its probably a good thing to have both of these teams at it again. I only hope this round goes 7 games and is exciting as last year's turned out to be.

I'm as big of a hockey fan as there is, but I just don't see any reason the NHL playoffs shouldn't be wrapped up by Memorial Day. This business about having games in June is too much. Plus, they could have more of the spotlight while the NBA was much earlier in their playoffs while the NHL was in the finals.

I'm as big of a hockey fan as there is, but I just don't see any reason the NHL playoffs shouldn't be wrapped up by Memorial Day. This business about having games in June is too much. Plus, they could have more of the spotlight while the NBA was much earlier in their playoffs while the NHL was in the finals.

I always liked the idea floating around the lockout that they would reduce the regular season to 72 games which would put the playoffs right in line with your thinking. Considering how bad off a lot of hockey teams are, I doubt they are willing to sacrifice the 5 home games.