2009 Free Agency

lafountain

I'm excited about the Gaborik signing - but some of the New York press is already taking a negative slant. From the Post: "Gaborik, who has played more than 65 games in just one of the last five years ..." while it's accurate, and I'm normally a glass half-empty kind of guy, I think it's more important to see that he's played in 65 games or more 6 of his 8 NHL seasons. Sure 65 games doesn't make you an iron man or anything. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's the second coming or anything but I'm pleased he's not Heatley. There's still more than a fair chance he'll wilt under the bright lights of Broadway and the unforgiving New York fans, but give him a chance to atleast put the sweater on first.

While Gaborik won't be a steal at that price, if his operations have permanently solved his fragile groin problems, he could score 50 goals without breaking a sweat. He's going to look really good in that Rangers jersey.

Well, I sure hope Gaborik can stay healthy because the Rangers are gonna need all the goals they can get. Hopefully, the absence of that stupid trap system will help him to stay healthy and ultimately give him the opportunity to SCORE SCORE SCORE.

So 2 days into Free Agency are you happy at all with what your team(s) have done?

Sabres have only signed Steve Montador which is a signing I like as the team did need as from what I know about him he is a physical defenseman who doesn't take lots of stupid penalties.

Kind of disappointed that Spacek left, but for the money that Montreal offered him, I didn't really see the Sabres offering anywhere near that much.

Since they got one defenseman, would still like to see them add at least one more quality d-man and of course go and get a quality backup goalie. Of course getting Stafford signed is a pretty big deal too.

Kovalev to the Senators. 2 years, $10 million.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283891

Francois Beauchemin leaves the Ducks and signs with Toronto for 3 years at $3.8 million a year.

Saku Koivu to Anahiem for 1 yr $3.25 mil

Jiri Hudler to the Moscow Dynamo of the KHL for 1 yr $2 mil

Ales Kotalik signs with the Rangers - 3yr/$9mil

With Nik Zherdev heading to arbitration, it looks like the Rangers have decided to already get his replacement. While Zherdev didn't really impress anyone last season, I don't think Kotalik is really an upgrade - although his best seasons in Buffalo were playing on a line with Chris Drury, so perhaps he'll get the chance in NY. If history repeats itself, Zherdev can now pull a Kovalev and go to another team in the division and put up career numbers.

Ales Kotalik signs with the Rangers - 3yr/$9mil

With Nik Zherdev heading to arbitration, it looks like the Rangers have decided to already get his replacement. While Zherdev didn't really impress anyone last season, I don't think Kotalik is really an upgrade - although his best seasons in Buffalo were playing on a line with Chris Drury, so perhaps he'll get the chance in NY. If history repeats itself, Zherdev can now pull a Kovalev and go to another team in the division and put up career numbers.

Isn't that a little excessive a price tag on Kotalik? I'm not too familiar with his play, but is he worth it? I've never really known him as anything more than a 3rd liner.

Isn't that a little excessive a price tag on Kotalik? I'm not too familiar with his play, but is he worth it? I've never really known him as anything more than a 3rd liner.

I was thinking it was kind of high myself. I figured Kotalik was around a 1.7 - 2 million per player. 3 a year for a guy who has only broke 50 points once. I realize not everyone can be an offensive star, but he didn't help much on the defensive side either, even when the team was winning and competing for top seeds, he was a - in the +/- category.

Isn't that a little excessive a price tag on Kotalik?

What? The Rangers would never overpay for a free agent. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Islanders sign Martin Biron to a 1 year deal for $1.4 million.

With the Islanders having also signed Dwayne Roloson earlier this offseason for 2 years at $2.5 per year gotta wonder what this means for DiPietro or if it is a sign that he might be asked to take the year off to try and get healthy? Strange situation on Long Island.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this about Havlat in Minnesota.

He will be wearing the #14 for the Wild as opposed to his 24 from Chicago or his 9 from Ottawa.

For everyone asking, I will be wearing number 14 with the Wild. I got into an arm wrestling match with Boogie over 24 and lost!

The good news is, he didn't injure himself in the arm wrestling match.

• 1 month later...

Hey Ranger fans, hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Wild fans do feel your potential pain though.

Quote from an article about the Rangers first preseason game.

"New York was without prized free-agent acquisition Marian Gaborik, who missed the game due to tightness and soreness in his groin."

Hey Ranger fans, hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Wild fans do feel your potential pain though.

Quote from an article about the Rangers first preseason game.

"New York was without prized free-agent acquisition Marian Gaborik, who missed the game due to tightness and soreness in his groin."

If it weren't so sad, it would be funny. <_<

As a Wild fan, I'm not laughing one bit. Karma says if I do, Havlat will fracture his sternum of some ###### fluky thing during the first week of the season.

I think its the media jumping the gun a bit - even if Gaborik was healthy he'd probably not play in the first 2-3 of the Rangers pre-season games. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he isn't already hurt/sore, he's been sitting out some in camp from what I hear, but it's just not that odd for a top name player to not play in the first few pre-season games. Once he starts missing regular season games (which I fear will come soon enough) then I think it'll be news worthy.

I think its the media jumping the gun a bit - even if Gaborik was healthy he'd probably not play in the first 2-3 of the Rangers pre-season games. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he isn't already hurt/sore, he's been sitting out some in camp from what I hear, but it's just not that odd for a top name player to not play in the first few pre-season games. Once he starts missing regular season games (which I fear will come soon enough) then I think it'll be news worthy.

It is not so much that he missed a preseason game, it was due to the reason that they listed that I posted the quote.