2009 Offseason Moves

ZoomZoom18

Draft Day Trade

Ducks get: Joffrey Lupul, Luca Sbisa, 2 1st Round Picks (2009 and 2010), Conditional 3rd Round Pick (2010 or 2011)

Flyers get: Chris Pronger, Ryan Dingle

"Ryan Dingle"? Is that a made up video game name? Seriously. Dingle?

Jay Bouwmeesters rights traded to the Flames.

Flames get: Rights to Jay Bouwmeester

Panthers get: Rights to Jordan Leopold and Flames 3rd Round Pick this year (Josh Birkholz)

Both players could still become Free Agents on Wednesday.

Looks like two of the hardest working and underrated Rangers will be gone next year:

The team's two top penalty-killers, Blair Betts and Fredrik Sjostrom, may have played their last games as Rangers. Sjostrom, an RFA who earned $840,000, wasn't tendered because, Sather said, his qualifying number doesn't match his production (7-6-13, minus-11). "I think there's a certain price level. I like him, he's a good kid, works hard and does a good job, but . . . "

Sather hasn't spoken to the agent for Betts, the fourth-line center, who is unrestricted. "He lives in Edmonton. Tom [former Rangers coach Renney] is in Edmonton [as associate coach], he likes him, he knows him. I don't know if there's an opportunity there."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/range...0,7786224.story

Granted these aren't big names, but one of the few good things about the Rangers last season was their PK.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282319

Coyotes send Reinprecht to Florida.

Any thoughts? I'm kinda wondering if this is a precursor to other moves for the Doggies.

Rhino was UFA and they weren't going to re-sign him, so to get anything is a bonus I guess. I always liked him, shame to see him go. They made a few minor trades at draft, added plenty of D but nothing spectacular. Can't see how we can do much of anything til we know who'll be paying the bills.

Looks like two of the hardest working and underrated Rangers will be gone next year

Freddie's another player I liked when he was with us, but Sather has a point about his production.

Freddie's another player I liked when he was with us, but Sather has a point about his production.

My thought is that you don't have guys like Sjostrom and Betts on roster to put up offensive numbers. They are defensive minded fourth-liners who can pull big minutes on the PK. Betts was the Rangers top face-off player in the playoffs which is considered by some as to why Donald Brashear targeted him with that vicious head hit that put him out for the rest of the series.

Glen Sather apparently would rather throw away millions on has-been free-agents than toss a couple extra thousands at some hard working players.

I think the ducks made a good deal by trading chris pronger for all this.

Niedermayer will play and selanne also next season so lets hope they will make something of it again :)

And please hiller start where you stopped in the play offs :D

Scott Gomez dealt to Montreal.

Montreal gets: Scott Gomez, Tom Pyatt, and Mike Busto

Rangers get: Chris Higgins, Ryan McDonagh and Pavel Valentenko

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4298053

I have to admit I am torn by the Gomez trade. It makes complete sense, and I like Higgins. I guess it's just that I bought into the hype when Gomez and Drury were signed so much that I still felt like it could eventually work out.

Plus I just got a cool Alaska Aces ECHL jersey I am turning into a Gomez lock-out special.

Scott Gomez dealt to Montreal.

Montreal gets: Scott Gomez, Tom Pyatt, and Mike Busto

Rangers get: Chris Higgins, Ryan McDonagh and Pavel Valentenko

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4298053

I think montreal got the best out of this deal now wait for the new season if they kan keep up with the rest of the teams :D

Thrashers get Pavel Kubina in a trade with Toronto.

Not all details released yet.

Atlanta gets: Pavel Kubina and Tim Stapleton

Toronto gets: Garnet Exelby and Colin Stuart

Other parts of the trade to be announced still.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283448

Update: Added other parts of the deal.

This was probably done to give Toronto the financial room to go after Komisarek.

Surprised with the Avs fans we have on here that nobody has brought up the fact that Ryan Smyth was dealt to the Kings for Kyle Quincey, Tom Preissing and a fifth-round pick in 2010.

While I like the Avs - I can't stand Smyth ... hope he didn't cry too much this time.

Surprised with the Avs fans we have on here that nobody has brought up the fact that Ryan Smyth was dealt to the Kings for Kyle Quincey, Tom Preissing and a fifth-round pick in 2010.

I've been away for a few days, but I saw it coming really. The rumors have been out there for awhile. Second time he's been traded from a team that I like. I'm not sure what to make on the Kings move, I'll probably follow them a little more now because of him, but not enough to hop on their bandwagon or anything.

I'm impressed with the moves that Toronto has made on their defense this year. They just signed Beauchemin from Anaheim today, traded for Garnet Exelby and also signed Komisarek. You can already see the mark that Burke is making on the team up there. I'm almost expecting to see them swing a trade for Giguere any day now.

I'm still curious to see what the Sharks may do, Wilson hinted at some larger moves after their season came to the end that it did. I can't see signing Clowe to a four year deal and resigning Kent Huskins being it.