All-Star Voting...

Mach_9

Is it just me or is the NHL doing a very poor job of promoting this years all-star game and the voting? Voting opened today, but there hasn't been much made of it. Go to NHL.com and tell me where you find a link to the voting (I know where it is, the point I'm trying to make is that it should be easier to find and more central).

For those of you who would like to vote:

USA - http://www.nhl.com/asfb/app?service=direct...mp;locale=en-us

Canada - http://www.nhl.com/asfb/app?service=direct...mp;locale=en-ca

International - http://www.nhl.com/asfb/app?service=direct...r&locale=en

Edit: I realize it could be far worse, but I just feel there should be a permanent link to the voting, right on the front page at all times, like a banner across the top or on the side.

Well at this current moment I would agree. I went to the homepage and there is nothing that jumps out and says vote. The NBA.com website has it located right on the front page right under todays scores so it is in plain site. There is more information on Buffalo's website for voting than their is on the NHL homepage.

I'm not happy with the All-Star Voting procedure, especially for write-ins. You have to choose from the drop-down. Keith Ballard is not on the list, which is ridiculous, since he's arguably Phoenix's best defenseman. I did send the NHL my concerns. Just finding the link was more work than it should have been, too. :noway:

I'm not happy with the All-Star Voting procedure, especially for write-ins. You have to choose from the drop-down. Keith Ballard is not on the list, which is ridiculous, since he's arguably Phoenix's best defenseman. I did send the NHL my concerns. Just finding the link was more work than it should have been, too. :noway:

Yeah - I really don't know why they've made the voting system so bad this year, and why they're doing so little to promote the all-star game itself. I'm particularly upset that Vanek isn't on the ballot.

I agree that the voting method is horrid. The "write-in" wasn't even a write-in so much as a "choose another player" -- and only one from each conference, to boot! :noway:

Previous years where you could actually type a player name per position was much more effective.

Curiously enough, I ended up selecting an all-Buffalo forward line (Afinogenov, Briere, Drury), and an almost-Detroit west group (Draper [write-in], Zetterberg, Lidstrom).

As for the link to the voting, I first got distracted by the article on Draper and Maltby, but eventually saw the rotating news feature that showed the link. Work in progress, I guess.... <_<

Like everyone else I can't believe some of the players they left off the list. I couldn't believe Matt Carle wasn't on for West defensemen. I put him in as write in.

The 'write-in' should have been just that, free-form write in. I can see why they wouldn't. People could write in the same players that's are in the original dropdowns or write in retired or even fictional names. IMO, I think they were more worried about having NHL2K7 embedded in the process than getting proper player selection.

The 'write-in' should have been just that, free-form write in. I can see why they wouldn't. People could write in the same players that's are in the original dropdowns or write in retired or even fictional names. IMO, I think they were more worried about having NHL2K7 embedded in the process than getting proper player selection.

I'm most amused by the NHL 07 adds all over NHL.com while 2k7 is sponsoring the all-star game...

^yeah no kidding. I don't play 07 anymore because of a few glitches.

Besides the point, I agree I don't like the voting, most guys who deserve it aren't even an option. The NHL is to built up around names when it should be based on play for the first half of the season. Guys like Vanek and Carle...??? Why not?

Crosby and Malkin lead the league... bit of a surprise there. Crosby leads by about 100,000 votes, which doesn't seem possible to me. What surprises me the most is that Malkin has more votes than even Ovechkin. I would have thought Ovie and Crosby would automatically be the top vote getters because of the last season, but the hype on Malkin looks like it's going to earn him a spot this year. I remember when rookies weren't in the all-star game and they had the young stars game beforehand (Kovalchuk scored 7 goals... I'd have liked to see Malkin in that situation, how he'd do), and I'm surprised Malkins doing this well in the voting. He's only played about 17 games? And he's done great but... second highest voted all-star? I guess that's a sign to watch for how large a margin he wins the Calder by.

Hmm.. I wonder if a lot of Crosby fans that are voting for Sid are voting for Malkin because they're on the same team so he comes to mind immediately after Crosby? Not to take much away from Malkin, but I have a feeling without Crosby on the ballot he'd have less votes.

• 2 weeks later...
Crosby and Malkin lead the league... bit of a surprise there. Crosby leads by about 100,000 votes, which doesn't seem possible to me. What surprises me the most is that Malkin has more votes than even Ovechkin. I would have thought Ovie and Crosby would automatically be the top vote getters because of the last season, but the hype on Malkin looks like it's going to earn him a spot this year. I remember when rookies weren't in the all-star game and they had the young stars game beforehand (Kovalchuk scored 7 goals... I'd have liked to see Malkin in that situation, how he'd do), and I'm surprised Malkins doing this well in the voting. He's only played about 17 games? And he's done great but... second highest voted all-star? I guess that's a sign to watch for how large a margin he wins the Calder by.

Hmm.. I wonder if a lot of Crosby fans that are voting for Sid are voting for Malkin because they're on the same team so he comes to mind immediately after Crosby? Not to take much away from Malkin, but I have a feeling without Crosby on the ballot he'd have less votes.

My only issue with the All Star Voting:

WHY ISNT HUET ON THE LIST?

He has better numbers than Raycroft or Lehtonen, Kolzig,Fleury or Ward

I understand Miller and Marty B and even King Hendrik

BUT CMON

Raycroft has NEVER had any success ( Calder trophy winner to i cant get my team past the first round to I am now the backup to a 32 yr old to im a Leaf watching JS Aubin)

Lehtonen- great goalie but hasnt been in the league long enough to do anything.When hes good hes great when hes average the Thrashers need to score 6 to win

Kolzig-Poor Godzilla.The last hurrah

Fleury - another great young goalie who hasnt proved a thing in the league.He hasnt stolen anyh wins for the Pens

Ward- Sophmore slump.

Huet has proven that he is the real deal ( regardless of what Pierre Maguire says).He led the Habs into the playoffs last year and came to the the team with a reconstructed knee. He has stolen wins for the club and seldom looks bad.The argument was that he had a slow start...many of the aforementioned goalies did and beyond that Huet was adjusting to some new technical changes in his playing style.

My thoughts!

villav