My Experience at River City Sports

Carl

The 4 is clearly incorrect, look at his gallery here. The vertical bar of the 4 should be of the same height as the diagonal bar, which itself should have more of an angle.

The A I'm not sure about tbh, just looking at those pictures it might be italic but I wouldn't bet the house on it.

The 'A' I could handle and ask icejerseys to correct it. But to have the customization incorrect, that I can't handle!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW that is horrible customer service on their part. Anyways, the 4's are definently wrong so you have a legitiment beef but I can't tell if the A is right or not. You said you sent the jersey back but obviously RCS isn't going to change anything or refund your money so are they just going to send it back to you? If so I would just chalk it up to experience and get the jersey fixed to your liking somewhere else. Don't bother with legal action becuase you'll end up spending more then it will cost to fix the jersey anyway. Just to file a claim in small claims court is $75 and then there is all the hassle and time that goes into a lawsuit so I wouldn't even bother going down that road.

I get my jersey's done at Coolhockey because they are local to me, I can drop off and pick up in person, and they are the cheapest nhlpa certified customizer I could find. Just to share a story on how customer service should be handled I took my Crosby jersey there and they used the older style captain's C then what pittsburgh uses now. The "C" they used was based off the pattern given to them by the NHL that has never been updated by the NHL to reflect the change so it was technically correct but even so they cut a new "C" based off the pictures I gave them and corrected it free of charge. RCS should do the same and make the jersey to your liking.

The vertical bar of the 4 should be of the same height as the diagonal bar, which itself should have more of an angle.

I even explained that to them in an email. I didn't just send the picture, I took the time to explain why it was incorrect.

The 4 is clearly incorrect, look at his gallery here. The vertical bar of the 4 should be of the same height as the diagonal bar, which itself should have more of an angle.

The A I'm not sure about tbh, just looking at those pictures it might be italic but I wouldn't bet the house on it.

It is clear that the numbers are completely wrong and the A looks completely different on the actual jersey. I'm surprised they are being so adamant that the jersey is correct when it is so obvious there are many errors. Is it possible that the Ducks have changed their lettering style for next season? I'm a bit baffled to how they could have got them wrong if the customizer gets the lettering from an NHL approved supplier.

Is it too late to with hold payment through your credit card company. I would figure contacting them about the issue with your dealings with RCS and with holding the payment to RCS would be the best step. Unless you have already paid the credit card company.

Can anyone put up the pictures of carl´s jersey and a pic of rob in a jersey side by side? ........and also, is there a season issue here?.....you wanted a jersey from a specific year, have the ducks changed numbers?

No, the ducks have had this font since the 2006-2007 season. Unfortunately, I don't have the computer skills to do what you just asked.

Can anyone put up the pictures of carl´s jersey and a pic of rob in a jersey side by side? ........and also, is there a season issue here?.....you wanted a jersey from a specific year, have the ducks changed numbers?

Actually if somebody could merge the 2 pictures (picture of the right 4 and the one they gave me), I could send it to them to prove my point (once again!).

Here you go:

ducks44_comparison.jpg

The game-worn jersey pic came from here: http://www.beckett.com/ViewContent/default.osi?cid=2032

The 4's they put on there are much more narrow and tall. If they try to give you some crap about how the game-worn pic is distorted or stretched, it's BS because I actually laid the images on top of each other and resized yours so that the name NIEDERMAYER and the gold swooshes were the same scale.

Unfortunately I don't have time right now (at work) but I can try to a similar one for the front image showing the "A" and the size difference in the ducks logo when I get home from work.

I would call again until you get to talk to someone else. I'm assuming the guy you spoke with isn't the only customer service guy there. Maybe the next person you talk to will be more accommodating or at least let you talk to a manager.

Here you go:

ducks44_comparison.jpg

The game-worn jersey pic came from here: http://www.beckett.com/ViewContent/default.osi?cid=2032

The 4's they put on there are much more narrow and tall. If they try to give you some crap about how the game-worn pic is distorted or stretched, it's BS because I actually laid the images on top of each other and resized yours so that the name NIEDERMAYER and the gold swooshes were the same scale.

Unfortunately I don't have time right now (at work) but I can try to a similar one for the front image showing the "A" and the size difference in the ducks logo when I get home from work.

Dude, thank you SSSOOOO much!

I would call again until you get to talk to someone else. I'm assuming the guy you spoke with isn't the only customer service guy there. Maybe the next person you talk to will be more accommodating or at least let you talk to a manager.

haha I think they seriously have only like 3... I had to call a few times because I waited 3 months for a customized Kopitar Slovenia jerse and got that Rob dude like every time...

you know looking at the 2 pics side by side, I think the name font isn't even quite right. its too narrow, just like the numbers they put on there. look at the N, D and M, plus it looks like the D should be cut out in the middle and they didn't do it.

Here's the email I just sent with Akteon's picture (thanks again buddy):

Rob,

Please look at this picture. How can you say that you honoured your commitment of using what players wear on the ice? I would really appreciate an answer. Or I guess I’ll have to call you back tomorrow.

The picture on the left is how it should be, on the right, it’s what you put on the jersey. The vertical bar of the 4 should be of the same height as the diagonal bar, which itself should have more of an angle. Also, The 4's you put on there are much more narrow and tall.

I did everything I could to make you understand you are wrong. I expect either a correction or a refund. On your website, you say you customize with what players wear on the ice, you don’t say you use nhl approved stuff. There’s a huge difference. Well, you can see the difference in the picture I’m sending you.

As for the ‘A’, I can get it fixed myself without spending too much money but that’s not the case for the 4’s. Would you consider at least reimburse me the customization fees of 60$ + tax if you can’t fix the jersey? I think that would be a fair compromise.

The ducks have had this font since 2006, and it hasn’t changed since.

Carl

you know looking at the 2 pics side by side, I think the name font isn't even quite right. its too narrow, just like the numbers they put on there. look at the N, D and M, plus it looks like the D should be cut out in the middle and they didn't do it.

Yeah, you are correct. The RCS letter looks like it's a bit too tall. Look at the differences between the M's on the two jerseys. Wow, who ever customizes for RCS really botched this up. Where did they get those numbers in the first place. They are so off the mark.

Those "close but not right" 4's look like something you'd expect from a Chinese knockoff.

If some of you guys want to tell him I'm right and he's wrong, here's his email address:

rmain@rivercitysports.com

:huh:

Here's what they say on their website, note how they say custom lettering will be exactly as worn by the pros on the ice:

Custom lettering is all hand cut and sewn. All lettering meets the specific design parameters of each individual team, and is exactly as worn by the pros on the ice. Customization features either 1, 2, or 3 color tackle twill numbers and letters (depending on individual team style). Lettering is hand cut and sewn using authentic 'z-stitch' technique.

I'll call back tomorrow but he'll probably just say "no" again and deny that he is wrong, just like he did today. THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING!

Here you go:

ducks44_comparison.jpg

Thanks, Now i see it.............how strange indeed ?!........could it have something to do with the size of carls jersey compared to the bigger game jersey?......but i guess not, even if the numbers were smaller, they should still be at a straight line at the top, right?

UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with Rob from RCS, and he told me that he will send for return instructions to me by 6pm CT today. I will say that although I didn't always get responses quickly, Rob has never been outright rude to me and has been about as friendly as I have expected. I requested for a nameplate for the jersey after I had put in my order which they did do.

Here is the jersey I had them customize:

img0303ges.jpgimg0302u.jpg

The problems I noted were that the "A" in the front was in the wrong place, the numbers on the back appeared to be too small, and of course the font in nameplate is wrong for this generation of Swift jerseys.

I will also chime in on the Duck's jersey. The problem with it is that it is entirely possible that the kit they used, be it completely inaccurate, could actually be approved by the NHL and NHLPA. The letters used for the nameplate on my retail Backstrom Caps jersey that I got from CoolHockey.com are bigger than the ones on the Caps gamer I received last week, and CoolHockey is an official NHL/NHLPA customizer. Still, it's clear those numbers for the Ducks jerseys are off and that common sense should take over.

Carl, Rob told me on the phone that he is going to be out of town for a funeral, and I believe he said he would be out tomorrow.

I will also chime in on the Duck's jersey. The problem with it is that it is entirely possible that the kit they used, be it completely inaccurate, could actually be approved by the NHL and NHLPA. The letters used for the nameplate on my retail Backstrom Caps jersey that I got from CoolHockey.com are bigger than the ones on the Caps gamer I received last week, and CoolHockey is an official NHL/NHLPA customizer. Still, it's clear those numbers for the Ducks jerseys are off and that common sense should take over.

Carl, Rob told me on the phone that he is going to be out of town for a funeral, and I believe he said he would be out tomorrow.

Awesome, I'll be able to talk to somebody else.

Even if the numbers are NHL approved, it doesn't make them right. On their website, they say "as exactly worn by the pros on the ice", this is what I expected, nothing less for almost 300$.

This whole issue is why I have become so demoralized in trying to get properly customized jerseys. I have experience with any number of vendors (including RCS) where I have gotten great work from them one time, and crappy work the next. It's driving me to game-worn jerseys almost exclusively. I've accepted too many "close, but not quite right" jerseys because I didn't want to fight the battle.

The letters used for the nameplate on my retail Backstrom Caps jersey that I got from CoolHockey.com are bigger than the ones on the Caps gamer I received last week, and CoolHockey is an official NHL/NHLPA customizer. Still, it's clear those numbers for the Ducks jerseys are off and that common sense should take over.

guam64......I believe that the Caps went to a smaller font on the Edge's sometime between the beginning of 2007/2008 and the end of 2008/2009. I'm not sure the exact date, but I don't think it's as simple as 2007/2008 is larger and 2008/2009 is smaller. I've studied game pictures and can't quite get a handle on it. I've been through this issue with both Sportsk and Jersey Express, sending jerseys back to get the size font that I wanted.

Carl........Good luck!

"where I have gotten great work from them one time, and crappy work the next"

Exactly, that is also my experience with both IJ and RCS, it all depends on who makes the jersey that day i guess, and pure luck, and it should not be like that.

Yes. I've bought from every major seller of customized authentic jerseys (except maybe Exclusive Pro) out there, and I cannot say that I am 100% satisfied with any. I can take a stab based on who has a better batting average, and who I have found to be more willing to correct errors, but, man, it can be a battle sometimes!

"where I have gotten great work from them one time, and crappy work the next"

Exactly, that is also my experience with both IJ and RCS, it all depends on who makes the jersey that day i guess, and pure luck, and it should not be like that.

The difference from all of the stories I've heard is that when IJ messes up they go above and beyond to fix it. That's what kills me about Carl's situation with RCS, they've spent all of their energy trying to convince him that he's wrong and that what he wants isn't possible.