"Stripping" Jerseys

ZoomZoom18

Hey All,

Sorry if this has been covered on here, I've tried a couple of searches but haven't found anything and don't have much time to do anymore searching at the moment.

Quick question regarding Edge jerseys. Has anyone tried to strip the name and numbers off of an Edge jersey? If so, how well did it turn out and would you recommend it or not to someone buying an Edge authentic for cheap that's personalized? Also, have they usually been glued onto the jersey before they are sewn on? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

I just stripped an Edge replica(from IJ), and the numbers were heavily glued on. Definitely left a bunch of residue, but with a lot of scrubbing, it should come off.

The nameplate was not too much of a problem. It was stiched around the border, and the glue came off pretty easily without leaving marks on the jersey. As I said above though, the numbers left quite a bit of white residue(black jersey).

I got this GW jersey from 99-00, where the seller had added his own number to play in a hockey league... <_<

The stitches came out easily with a seam ripper, but the residue left from the backing has been a PAIN to get out.

IMG_0781.JPG

The only thing that has worked in removing the gunk is nail polish remover, haha. This was an air-knit jersey(that is some tough fabric). From what I have seen with the Edge jersey I have, the residue issue has been about the same.

I got a white authentic EDGE Rangers jersey customized with Gomez at the end of season sale at the Garden this summer for $80. Everything was stitched with a tiny bit of adhesive underneith. Very easy to strip and no residue left over. Actually got it back from re-customization today. Now it's a Gaborik. I'll post pics once my I find my cord for my camera.

Stripping was very easy though, just a long, tedious process because both layers of the numbers were stitched on.

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately I lost the auction I was watching, but either way this is still information I've been wondering about for awhile. It first crossed my mind last season when I was at a Stars game and came across an authentic Stars Avery jersey. I started wondering then how it would turn out if I just took off the nameplate. I'm itching to get an Edge authentic jersey, I think I'm just gonna stick to the 550s or shoulder patch-less teams for the Premiers. All five Premier jerseys I have are fading out on the shoulder patches. I'm even kicking around just saying screw it and buying a gamer or game issued jersey of the Stars.

irishlaxburger2, when you took the name and numbers off the Rangers jersey you mentioned that there was no residue left over. Were you able to see any imprints of the name or numbers? Nice pickup at the sale. I've heard that sale was nice at the Garden this year.

irishlaxburger2, when you took the name and numbers off the Rangers jersey you mentioned that there was no residue left over. Were you able to see any imprints of the name or numbers? Nice pickup at the sale. I've heard that sale was nice at the Garden this year.
No imprints on the arms of the jerseys, though the softer fabric on the arms was more likely to pull. Had a couple tiny pulls on the arms but they were easily covered up. The nameplate and numbers on the back did leave a bit of an outline or an imprint but since I replaced a nameplate with a bigger nameplate and a "19" with a "10" it was completely covered up by the time I was done. It literally looks like a brand new jersey now, or so my friends commented when they saw it. I would've definitely been concerned switching say a number "5" to a number "1" on an EDGE though, due to the imprint.

Still working on pictures. Can't find my darn camera cord. Unfortunately though, I didn't take any pictures of the stripped jersey. Just the finished product.

No imprints on the arms of the jerseys, though the softer fabric on the arms was more likely to pull. Had a couple tiny pulls on the arms but they were easily covered up. The nameplate and numbers on the back did leave a bit of an outline or an imprint but since I replaced a nameplate with a bigger nameplate and a "19" with a "10" it was completely covered up by the time I was done. It literally looks like a brand new jersey now, or so my friends commented when they saw it. I would've definitely been concerned switching say a number "5" to a number "1" on an EDGE though, due to the imprint.

Still working on pictures. Can't find my darn camera cord. Unfortunately though, I didn't take any pictures of the stripped jersey. Just the finished product.

The jersey I was looking at on EBay was an Anaheim Ducks authentic with NHL 08 on the back. Supposedly it was a promo for the NHL 08 video game. It looked legit to me. I was wanting to take the nameplate off of it, as I wasn't too keen on wearing NHL on the back of it. I thought about just leaving it name-less but wasn't sure. Then the 08 I thought would be an easy fix since those two numbers aren't much different on the Anaheim jerseys. I didn't win the auction, but I'm still hoping I can come across a Stars or Ducks authentic sometime in the near future and thought that getting a personalized one of a player that left the team would be the way to go.

Now since Zubov left the Stars, I'm hoping to come across his authentic jersey when I finally hit my first Stars game this year. That of course, will not change ANY. I am of the belief that he needs to have his number retired down here.

It sounds like the jersey turned out pretty nice for ya. I'm happy to hear it, anytime you can score on a deal like that, its always a plus.

I understand completely about the camera cord. My wife and I just moved up north of Dallas into Southern Oklahoma and I've yet to find my camera cord, or otherwise I'd have some of my new acquisitions online. This is after we made the move from Phoenix to Dallas last fall.

Can someone please tell me if they have stripped a jersey of numbers and name and if the stitching marks remain apparent after. Thanks for the help.

Brilliant edit: Topic merged into other stripping thread.