Nordiques return?

HawksFan719

I remember vaguely watching Quebec as a youngster and i vividly remember loving the Avalanche growing up. If Quebec could sustain it, i would love for them to get another team. I would really love to see that Quebec Nordiques Wolf jersey that never was.

If they are now bringing back the Whale, I think NHL's next step is to resurrect the Wolf!

I would like Canada to get another team but i rather it be through expansion. The whole argument we need to support the teams we have now is worthless. You cant convince me that putting two more teams in a Canadian market that would sell out everynight, would be hurtful to the overall value of the league.

My ultimate desire would be for expanding the league to 32 teams with the two teams going to Canada. Then if teams need to be relocated, i prefer a suitable American market be tried if possible. On that note, I am very hopeful Phoenix keeps its team. The lease with Glendale was brutal when it was accepted and even more brutal now, it hasnt helped the Coyotes at all financially along with the horrid management decisions and coaching.

One thing i am overly sick of is the Anti-american, Canadian Entitlement to Hockey that has become the craze on TSN. Im not anti-Canadian in the least as i already wish Canada would get two more teams but like i said, Im about sick of hearing all of that junk during the whole Phoenix Debate and everytime an American Market is in financial trouble, (like everything else in the country isnt.) There is news today that the Blue Jackets are in financial trouble (Once again partly due to the lease and arena arrangements). There is already talks of the Quebec Blue Jackets and all that other crap.

I remember vaguely watching Quebec as a youngster and i vividly remember loving the Avalanche growing up. If Quebec could sustain it, i would love for them to get another team. I would really love to see that Quebec Nordiques Wolf jersey that never was.

If the NHL did not have 30 teams, I could agree with you on this, but since 30 seems to be the magic number for most major sports leagues here (the NFL being the exception), and the way the NHL is right now, I would rather focus on getting franchises in good locations rather than expansion.

If the NHL did not have 30 teams, I could agree with you on this, but since 30 seems to be the magic number for most major sports leagues here (the NFL being the exception), and the way the NHL is right now, I would rather focus on getting franchises in good locations rather than expansion.

Agreed. While some (like Mirtle) might argue for a 24-26 team league, I can live with 30 but some of those 30 HAVE to be in different cities. I give the Yotes 1-2 years tops in Phoenix.

Agreed. While some (like Mirtle) might argue for a 24-26 team league, I can live with 30 but some of those 30 HAVE to be in different cities. I give the Yotes 1-2 years tops in Phoenix.

Well, there is some cities, like Nashville and Atlanta, where they should just move them. Phoenix, I think that well is poisoned, almost like the deal with the Montreal Expos and baseball years back. Some other teams, like Tampa, and New York (Islanders) have the fan base, or could have the fan base, they just need some kind of change, especially with the Islanders case.

One thing though the NHL should do is keep some kind of presence in the South. It works in Dallas, it works in Tampa if things go well, and if a couple of other teams do well, or keep on doing well, and don't pull a Nashville (be good, and still cant draw), things will be allright for the southern teams.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, there is some cities, like Nashville and Atlanta, where they should just move them. Phoenix, I think that well is poisoned, almost like the deal with the Montreal Expos and baseball years back. Some other teams, like Tampa, and New York (Islanders) have the fan base, or could have the fan base, they just need some kind of change, especially with the Islanders case.

From what I hear, there is an ever growing youth market in Tennessee and if the Preds can just hang in there a few more years, I bet there will be an even better fan base. Atlanta should have never been resurrected and I if I were Balsillie I would look at that ownership situation and pounce.

• 1 month later...

...that and, if Atlanta loses Kovalchuk like it's been rumored they'd be hard-drawn to get people in the building.

One thing though the NHL should do is keep some kind of presence in the South. It works in Dallas, it works in Tampa if things go well, and if a couple of other teams do well, or keep on doing well, and don't pull a Nashville (be good, and still cant draw), things will be allright for the southern teams.

I beg to differ about Phoenix. Attendance is slowly pulling up..its a building process and i think given a couple more years they will be stable, if not profitable. They need to put together another couple of winning seasons (which i think they are capable of) and maybe make a playoffs appearance.

I beg to differ about Phoenix. Attendance is slowly pulling up..its a building process and i think given a couple more years they will be stable, if not profitable. They need to put together another couple of winning seasons (which i think they are capable of) and maybe make a playoffs appearance.

They will be profitable if and when they can rework the lease. Whoever negotiated that lease for the Coyotes should have been fired, and whoever negotiated it for the city of Glendale should get a promotion, that lease from what I have read is about as one-sided as one can get.

• 4 weeks later...
...that and, if Atlanta loses Kovalchuk like it's been rumored they'd be hard-drawn to get people in the building.

The ownership situation there has been a mess for awhile and if they lose their one legit superstar, I think Mr. Balsille will be knocking on their door sooner rather than later.