lafountain

It is good or not?

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

It’s possible to pay an embroidery company to duplicate the NHL shield and stitch it into the jersey fabric, provided they have no issues with the logo copyright.  Probably not cheap, and I don’t know how accurate it would have to be to satisfy you, but it’s at least possible.  It also shouldn’t be hard for a customizer to cut a piece of twill in the shape of a swoosh and stitch it on.  Don’t know if the trouble would be worth it to you though.

If the swoosh is just a single layer sewn on, I agree; you may even be able to cut that out yourself (I couldn't, my work is too sloppy, but I am sure some can).  

As far as the shield goes, if you must have it, see if you can find a replica jersey on eBay for dirt cheap that has one that looks close but glued on, and harvest that and have it sewn on. I guess you could even cut out one that was embroidered on a black replica and use that.

It won't be "accurate" in that its not embroidered, but if having something as opposed to nothing would make you happy, that's probably the easiest way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, gwarjis said:

I was thinking about finding the cheapest Nike authentic and stripping the parts, but I'm leaning towards just returning it at this point.

 

I'll take photos of mine when I get home. I thought I had a close up, but can only every other hem logo I have! If I recall correctly, the swoosh is not a patch but sewn directly to the jersey; same with the NHL shield. Forget if they're sewn through both layers of the hem or if they're sewn onto one layer before the hem was finished. Either way, I'll post a photo tonight.

 

Don't sell it! The jersey is perfect as-is. I've seen maybe 5 black Nike's in the last 10 years and can only recall 2 (mine and now yours) that have tags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

As far as the shield goes, if you must have it, see if you can find a replica jersey on eBay for dirt cheap that has one that looks close but glued on, and harvest that and have it sewn on. I guess you could even cut out one that was embroidered on a black replica and use that.

Replicas back then didn't have the NHL logo. Nike just had the swoosh and Pro Player/Starter used a conference patch next to their respective corporate logo. Before that CCM reps had a cheap ironed on heat transfer logo (again, no shield).

NHL-Chicago-Blackhawks-Jersey-2_1024x102

hE8gNeu.jpg

Tat7Hd7.jpg

Edited by mdwsta4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mdwsta4 said:

Replicas back then didn't have the NHL logo. When Nike/Pro Player/Starter/etc started making the reps they used a conference patch next to their respective corporate logo. Before that CCM reps had a cheap ironed on heat transfer logo (again, no shield).

Not saying it'll be easy, but somewhere there must be a jersey with a patch he could use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mdwsta4 said:

If I recall correctly, the swoosh is not a patch but sewn directly to the jersey; same with the NHL shield. Forget if they're sewn through both layers of the hem or if they're sewn onto one layer before the hem was finished.

It’s not sewn through both layers of the hem- from the inside you can only see the stitches made through and around the border of the swoosh.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LAK74 said:

It’s not sewn through both layers of the hem- from the inside you can only see the stitches made through and around the border of the swoosh.

If one is going to be that picky as to how the swoosh was sewn, then one will probably not be happy with any solution short of returning that one and waiting another 5-10 years until a proper one surfaces. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the record, that Burke jersey has been a sore spot in the game worn community for a while now. Some swear it's worn, some will fight you saying it's fake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Brilliant! said:

For the record, that Burke jersey has been a sore spot in the game worn community for a while now. Some swear it's worn, some will fight you saying it's fake.

I have a hard time believing that’s a game worn goalie’s jersey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in that camp too. What's with the tilted crest? And it's pretty convenient that the collar tag just so happens to be washed out so you can't see the sizing. There's way too many question marks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Brilliant! said:

I'm in that camp too. What's with the tilted crest? And it's pretty convenient that the collar tag just so happens to be washed out so you can't see the sizing. There's way too many question marks.

The tilted crest is a phenomenon that happened back then, and it was seen on some gamers. Real high quality stuff. But that one is REALLY tilted. 

The washed out tag is to be expected. My authentic Burke had a fully printed size tag with the handwritten size as expected, and it came almost completely white with a single wash. 

Burke was a pretty good goalie, he must have saved at least a few pucks. That jersey has two marks and some pilling but other spots look brand new. Can’t be. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another option for the black Nike is using an NHL shield patch, there are all kinds of sizes of them on ebay. You could just sew it on and have a customizer sew on a piece of twill cut to the exact size and shape of the Nike swoosh. 

A project I've worked on is a starter Blues jersey.  It was an unbranded remake.  I made the S* out of twill and sewed on an NHL patch I found on ebay.   I think the NHL shield on the starter is larger than the NHL shield on a Nike, but there might be a size smaller out there.

Another time, Keener sent a jersey of mine to an embroidery guy he has locally and he was able to embroider in the NHL shield, so there are avenues to get it to the right spec. Just might take some time and creativity. That's a beautiful Hawks jersey though, I'd definitely hang onto it if I were you.

35743294522_34bf927f52_z.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gwarjis said:

Just got this Nike Hawks jersey in today. The Nike swoosh and NHL shield are missing at the bottom,

Here is what they should look like: 

 

The swoosh is indeed a sewn on patch, not fully embroidered like the Pro Player tag I was thinking of

1520902287712-vi.jpg

 

1520902216342-vi.jpg

 

It would be difficult/timely/costly to replicate the shield properly. I still say leave it as-is. Not worth the cost/hassle IMO

Edited by mdwsta4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mdwsta4 said:

 

1 hour ago, mdwsta4 said:

Here is what they should look like: 

 

The swoosh is indeed a sewn on patch, not fully embroidered like the Pro Player tag I was thinking of

1520902287712-vi.jpg

 

1520902216342-vi.jpg

 

It would be difficult/timely/costly to replicate the shield properly. I still say leave it as-is. Not worth the cost/hassle IMO

Thanks for the pic. I think I'll do just that. I got the seller to give me a $25 partial refund since he never stated that it missing. Total price will come out to $138, which is a pretty good deal, I think.

Edited by gwarjis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gwarjis said:

Thanks for the pic. I think I'll do just that. I got the seller to give me a $25 partial refund since he never stated that it missing. Total price will come out to $138, which is a pretty good deal, I think.

GREAT price!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In regards to that Burke on eBay, I have been PMed on FB about once every 4-6 months for the past 1.5-2 years by different people each time asking me about it.  It has been offered to me before and I pass every time.

According to the original seller, he got it directly from Bill Watters, who was the former assistant GM of the Maple Leafs some time ago.  The original seller had zero proof, photomatches or any other sort of provenance other than literally it came from Bill Watters.

Since then it has been sold a few times and each time it is sold I have a feeling the buyer instantly sees issues with it and therefore tries to sell it again.  The price on eBay seems to reflect the seller's uncertainty about it as well.

As for as authenticity I will say this:

1) The Devils have been known to have gamers from that era with tilted crests.  However, this one is way more tilted than any gamer I have ever seen.  No way that would have been allowed on the ice by the team.

2) With such a tilted crest, you would expect that a photo match would be easy.  However, neither myself or other collectors have been able to find a single photo of Burke wearing a jersey where the tail hits the top stripe.

3) The wear is weird.  It is largely light for that era goalie but the fact that it has that level of pilling on the picture of the bottom of the jersey but very little wear anywhere else just seems weird to me.

All these factors combined makes me think it is not good.  However, back then things were done weirdly/differently so I cannot be 100% sure.  However, I wouldn't gamble nearly that much for a big research project that is that jersey.

Edited by Devilsguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will also add one more thing about that Burke:  In the 3-4 times it has publicly been up for sale not once (at least that I know of) has the buyer been a Devils game worn collector.

That should give you an indication of what the consensus thinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Brilliant! said:

For the record, that Burke jersey has been a sore spot in the game worn community for a while now. Some swear it's worn, some will fight you saying it's fake.

For some reason we have more photos of Sean Burke as a Devil then we can explain why lol. We've also talked with some NHL photographers from visiting cities from that era who looked in their private albums and none of them had anything. Saying that and knowing what we know about Devils game worn jerseys in general, that jersey was never worn in an NHL game. Yes, you should always keep an open mind and you never know when dealing with that era, but the jersey shows too many red flags in general. The "provenance" behind it is kinda odd, though, as you'd think someone wouldn't just use the name of an NHL exec few people might be familiar with, but people will do things to make a dollar or pass the buck.

Edited by OneJerseyMemorabilia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Devilsguy said:

In regards to that Burke on eBay, I have been PMed on FB about once every 4-6 months for the past 1.5-2 years by different people each time asking me about it.  It has been offered to me before and I pass every time.

According to the original seller, he got it directly from Bill Watters, who was the former assistant GM of the Maple Leafs some time ago.  The original seller had zero proof, photomatches or any other sort of provenance other than literally it came from Bill Watters.

Since then it has been sold a few times and each time it is sold I have a feeling the buyer instantly sees issues with it and therefore tries to sell it again.  The price on eBay seems to reflect the seller's uncertainty about it as well.

As for as authenticity I will say this:

1) The Devils have been known to have gamers from that era with tilted crests.  However, this one is way more tilted than any gamer I have ever seen.  No way that would have been allowed on the ice by the team.

2) With such a tilted crest, you would expect that a photo match would be easy.  However, neither myself or other collectors have been able to find a single photo of Burke wearing a jersey where the tail hits the top stripe.

3) The wear is weird.  It is largely light for that era goalie but the fact that it has that level of pilling on the picture of the bottom of the jersey but very little wear anywhere else just seems weird to me.

All these factors combined makes me think it is not good.  However, back then things were done weirdly/differently so I cannot be 100% sure.  However, I wouldn't gamble nearly that much for a big research project that is that jersey.

Agree on all 3. I didn’t do an exhaustive search for pictures but Google images turned up nothing. There’s plenty of pictures of Burke in a Devils seater, I think I even saw one that was tilted, but as you point out, nowhere near that tilted. Leads me to believe that maybe someone tried to emulate that jersey and failed. 

Plus I totally trust your opinion, you know a ton more about Devils GWs than anyone I know. 

Reading between the lines, you don’t mention the accuracy of customization at all. As noted above, I have recently obtained a non-GW Burke with very similar customization. How’s the accuracy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

No love, huh? It's ok. Just kidding lol! I know you don't me or my family well other then your deals with me (We've been collecting Devils game worn jerseys and equipment for 15 years). Hopefully you'll come to the MeiGray Expo this year and see our display along with the others :-)

This is actually easy to explain.

First off, my statement was in no way intended to be a slight toward you (or your family, although I have never met them and I’m not sure I should know anything about them). 

You bought some non-GW jerseys from me (thanks again!), but we’ve never really had any conversations about game worn jerseys aside from you telling me about a couple you have, so I have no way of gauging your knowledge. 

And if I may be so bold, when you post you say things like...

3 hours ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

Saying that and knowing what we know about Devils game worn jerseys in general, that jersey was never worn in an NHL game. 

This kind of response doesn’t provide any information, either regarding what it is that you know (just says that you know it) or any reason why the jersey in question is or is not game worn. So it doesn’t really come across as informative, it’s more like saying “trust me, I know”. What is it that you know about Devils GWs that led you to that conclusion? Help the rest of us who clearly don’t know to understand!

In contrast, I’ve been reading Devilsguy’s posts for years. His response above contained three specific examples as to why the jersey is probably not game worn, which I, a non-GW collector, can read and understand. His knowledge of the topic is on display. Multiply that by the hundreds of posts of his I have read with similar content, and there you have the basis for my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

This is actually easy to explain.

First off, my statement was in no way intended to be a slight toward you (or your family, although I have never met them and I’m not sure I should know anything about them). 

You bought some non-GW jerseys from me (thanks again!), but we’ve never really had any conversations about game worn jerseys aside from you telling me about a couple you have, so I have no way of gauging your knowledge. 

And if I may be so bold, when you post you say things like...

This kind of response doesn’t provide any information, either regarding what it is that you know (just says that you know it) or any reason why the jersey in question is or is not game worn. So it doesn’t really come across as informative, it’s more like saying “trust me, I know”. What is it that you know about Devils GWs that led you to that conclusion? Help the rest of us who clearly don’t know to understand!

In contrast, I’ve been reading Devilsguy’s posts for years. His response above contained three specific examples as to why the jersey is probably not game worn, which I, a non-GW collector, can read and understand. His knowledge of the topic is on display. Multiply that by the hundreds of posts of his I have read with similar content, and there you have the basis for my opinion. 

What was posted is pretty much a reflection of what has been discussed regarding the Burke jersey for a number of years in the Devils community (and game worn community) as far back as 10 years ago (this jersey has been around).  Instead, i added that through a source i contacted various photographers that worked visiting arenas in that time period and they found nothing matching the jersey (i'd have paid them for a match so i know each one was motivated to look). We also have more then enough photos of Burke in our archives from our recent bulk buys of Devils vintage slides and negatives, magazine/program material, and other sources and nothing doing there, either. 

If you want me to repeat, confirm or add on to what has been said already, then the piling on the hem looks out of place as Burke didn't tuck his jersey and even if it rode up it would be on both sides or around the hem in more spots, the lack of puck/stick marks scattered on the jersey overall and the crooked crest is just too far off that even the Devils in their recycling/use it up prime wouldn't have let in a game. Could anything have happened where this was worn? Sure, but given the visual evidence and the fact that it's not sitting in someone's (including our) collection long ago and the amount of times the buck has been passed lends me enough credence to conclude this was never worn in an NHL game.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by OneJerseyMemorabilia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

 

What was posted is pretty much a reflection of what has been discussed regarding the Burke jersey for a number of years in the Devils community (and game worn community) as far back as 10 years ago (this jersey has been around).  Instead, i added that through a source i contacted various photographers that worked visiting arenas in that time period and they found nothing matching the jersey (i'd have paid them for a match so i know each one was motivated to look). We also have more then enough photos of Burke in our archives from our recent bulk buys of Devils vintage slides and negatives, magazine/program material, and other sources and nothing doing there, either. 

If you want me to repeat, confirm or add on to what has been said already, then the piling on the hem looks out of place as Burke didn't tuck his jersey and even if it rode up it would be on both sides or around the hem in more spots, the lack of puck/stick marks scattered on the jersey overall and the crooked crest is just too far off that even the Devils in their recycling/use it up prime wouldn't have let in a game. Could anything have happened where this was worn? Sure, but given the visual evidence and the fact that it's not sitting in someone's (including our) collection long ago and the amount of times the buck has been passed lends me enough credence to conclude this was never worn in an NHL game.

Most of us are not privy to what was discussed over the last 10 years, we just saw it for the first time. Some of us (most of us?) are not members of the Devils community, or even the game worn community. We had questions. 

Honestly I didn’t want/need you to confirm anything, I was interested in hearing if you had anything additional to add, as I couldn’t really tell from your original post. I won’t speak for everyone, but I know I like to learn as much as possible, so the more information the better. After all, that’s what makes a message board l8ke this a valuable resource. 

But I do appreciate your confirmation of what was said, and as I stated in response to Devilsguy’s when he mentioned those things, I think all of them are correct and based on them, I’d say it’s pretty convincing that it’s not game worn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OneJerseyMemorabilia said:

I agree 100%. The sharing of information is becoming nearly extinct in the game worn hobby. 

Given that there are online forums for the discussion of the topic, which requires the sharing of information, that’s sad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been out of the game for a while and was looking at a Caps stadium series jersey. I'm assuming this isn't a legitimate site but was wondering if any one knew for sure. http://www.nhljerseys.hockey/2018-nhl-stadium-series-capitals-jakub-vrana-navy-authentic-pro-player-jersey-p21169

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now