It is good or not?

lafountain

Well pleased with that, thanks RageATheM, LAK74 & akteon for the info! £20 ($31.65) well spent then, just needed to check. :thumbsup:

If you look at your signature, the illusion appears that you have a ridiculously long bathtub.

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than start a new thread unecessarily, I'll post this here since it slightly ties in as I look at various jerseys.......

what's the size range of authentic Starter jerseys? if I wear a 44 in CCM or 46 in EDGE, what's the comparable Starter size?

Also, is it wrong to assume that any jersey with a non-number size (S,M,L,XL etc.) is always a replica and not an authentic?

Starters didn't come in sizes smaller than 46, so that's probably your only choice. Careful, because Starters tend to vary quite a bit in size- some are significantly bigger than others with the same numeric size.

For modern jerseys, it's safe to assume that if it has a letter size, it's a replica.

If you look at your signature, the illusion appears that you have a ridiculously long bathtub.

That's how we roll in Scotland: really long bath tubs but never use them - that's for the English and their 'cleanliness'.

So basically, I found an Oilers Nugent-Hopkins jersey on ebay. It appears to be the real deal at first glance. Seller says it has the fight-stap. Everything looks legit. So it appears to be Authentic-Edge. But the thing is... it was only $90 with free shipping. It appears to be the newer 2.0 Edge jersey, because the reebok logo says "Reebok", instead of having the older vector logo thing.

Here are the details:

- Seller is based in Canada.

- Claims to have got the jerseys from an auction liquidation side based in USA.

- 100% positive feedback on more than 1500 auctions.

- looks to have sold at least 100 authentic NHL jerseys, each for around $90.

- He does sell other items, like Ipod accessories.

- My jersey was $90 and is supposed to be the 100% authentic edge jersey with fight strap, and has Nugent-Hopkins' name on it.

This is the only picture from his auction:

http://postimage.org/image/4302s7uqb/

Some people are already pointing out to me that the Oilers logo is too small and the lettering is off. However, it looks like we cannot judge anything by the picture yet. It looks like this picture is NOT of the actual jersey I'm getting. The seller got the picture from elsewhere, which is what a lot of sellers do. I did a google image search for Oilers jersey and I found what looks to be the exact same pictures:

http://www.thecheaps...the-hyphen.html

And this one is for a KIDS jersey, while mine is supposed to be AdultXL:

http://www.nhl-cabin...sey-p-4295.html

But it seems to be the same picture as the one in the auction.

I doubt very much that my seller is the source of these images.

Keep in mind this is an XL jersey I'm getting, which I dunno, could account for the logo looking smaller? Plus, the jersey in the picture appears to be laid out on the floor or on a table. Thus, it may look fatter, which makes the logo look smaller. But I'm no expert on jerseys. I am skeptical too right now, but the picture so far indicates nothing about what I'm getting.

Only now do I hear stories of jerseys that are fakes, but they can be mistaken for 100% legit ones, and even have proper tags and etc. BUT... I'm wondering if this seller simply doesn't realize he could be selling his jerseys for much more. Perhaps he isn't an expert on the value of legit jerseys. I'm saying this because his jersey auctions are not properly listed. He doesn't even give proper details about his jerseys in the listing. I had to contact him to find out the extra details and that it is authentic, with fight strap. It appears I was lucky to have found his auction in the first place.

Of course, he could be lying, or he doesn't realize he's selling fake jerseys. But all his feedback is 100%, including his jersey auctions.

I will post pics here when I receive the jersey. The jersey has been shipped and is on its way to me. Please let me know what you think of the details so far.

Its a guaranteed fake.

Why do you say so?

Please do not judge from the picture, because of the reasons I said. Isn't it possible this is very rare situation where they are real? Maybe the seller doesn't realize the worth of jerseys? As it is, his auctions for jerseys were getting bought like crazy, and he has all positive feedback on them.

Also... is it true that even with 100% Real Authentic Edge jerseys (fight strap), they are not neccessarly the exact same as what players where to the ice? How can this be?

If the picture is indicative of what you're getting its absolutely a fake.

Don't trust sellers who don't provide actual pictures of the jersey you're getting. That's actually against eBay policy.

On top of that, just because someone has positive feedback doesn't necessarily mean that they're dealing legit items. There are tons of people who are happier than a pig in s*** to buy a counterfeit jersey and think its "just as good." $90 is way too low for a new authentic jersey. That's your first tip that its fake.

Your situation doesn't look good at all. If the jersey is fake (which I'm sure it will be) and the seller does not accept your request for a refund, you could open a case against the seller on eBay, as they do take cases of counterfeiting seriously. You have very little to lose.

I would like to start by saying welcome to the boards.

Please have a look at the following thread and use the information from the thread to determine what you actually have. From the sounds of it you got yourself a fake jersey and if that is the case hit up ebay and the seller for a refund.

How to spot a fake jersey

Like everyone else said, it's a fake. Once you learn what to look for, you'll see how we all spotted it within just a glace of the pictures.

As for comparing it to pictures on nhl-cabinet.com, that appears to be a site that exclusively sells fakes.

I have no doubt that the seller knew exactly what they were selling.

The seller is communicating with me and seems to be very willing to work with me. He seems to be a noob and not a "big" seller. I've given him some information on fake jerseys, and he now says he's only 60% sure the ones he has are real. Though, he says he wears one of them himself. I really think he has no clue about any of this and truly believes his jerseys are real, whatever the case. He is quick to respond to me with detail, polite, friendly, and admits he didn't know about this fake jersey thing.

However, he just said:

"I believe the $400 jersey's are the RBK Premier ones. Which are top notch quality & just like the players wear.. The ones I have are cheaper Fan alternatives and retail for roughly $169.99."

This seems like false information from what I know about jerseys. Only Authentic Edge have the fight strap, right? And under normal conditions, a Premiere will not be more expensive than an Authentic Edge. My understanding is that only Authentic Edge will have the fight strap. Correct?

And is it true that official jerseys exist with the fight strap, but are still not the 100% real thing that players where to the ice? I heard this somewhere. How can this be, if it's true?

I did hear that in some cases on Ebay, you will find an awesome, but very RARE deal, where you can get a legit Jersey for extremely cheap. I hope this is the case here. I don't see how this can be impossible. But I still wonder what the seller means when he says his jersey has the fight strap, but is less expensive than Premiere. My opinion is that he just doesn't know what he's talking about.

Thanks for the welcome.

That dude is clueless or just trying to act like he don't know. Premiers do not have fight straps and real edges are $300+. It's true that once in a while you will find a good deal but in most cases if there that cheap, then it's a fake.

Really, you should attempt to return the jersey and get your money back, as I don’t get the impression you are pleased with having spent $90 on a jersey that is most likely fake. I also get the idea that the seller really knows exactly what he is selling but is not about to admit to it; certainly not put it in writing in a communication with you.

Yes, deals do pop up on ebay for authentic jerseys, but these tend be one-off sales or smaller quantities. It looks like this guy regularly sells the jerseys at $90 each and has a pretty good inventory of them. Looking for something in particular? Oilers jersey; even if it’s a blank to be customized later, and in your size? Be patient. In the meantime, if you would be content with a fake, they abound for under $90, and with the “Reebok” wordmark/vector centered on the neck/back centerline.

Well... I'm just not sure $90 (with free shipping) is too much to spend on a fake jersey that looks good enough. I'll have to see when I get it. I've heard people on another forum saying they intentionally collect fake jerseys if they're around $60 or less. I don't see what's so great about spending $300+ if the fake looks about the same and is fairly good quality. I've even heard people saying the fakes can have a better feel, and last longer.

Is it true you can only trust NHL official sites to give you the real thing? Can you trust the NHL arenas when you goto a game? Could I trust stores in West Edmonton Mall (2nd biggest mall in the world)?

And what are the chances you could buy a real jersey and then return it to the store using a fake one?

Also, I'm not sure what the quantity of jerseys my seller had. What I know now is that his 3 remaining auctions are gone. And he says he's not selling any more of them until he confirms that they are real.

He had only 4 jersey auctions left when I bought mine, so perhaps he doesn't actually have that many.

Let me sum this up fast.

The jersey you will be getting will be fake. Period! don't kid your self or try to beat around the bush. you bought a fake jersey. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, ITS A DUCK!

Edge jerseys are the $300+ authentic on-ice versions. Its the customization that might be off and thats what make it NOT like they wear on the ice. As for the edge jerseys go, some teams wear edge 1.0 some wear 2.0. Depends on the team.

Also the seller is a complete Liar and is only pretending to be ignorant of jerseys when in fact he is well aware he sells fakes and could care less if they are real or not. Don't be fooled. He's done it before and will do it again.

The fact he admitted that the jersey in the photo was not the one for sale on the ebay auction makes the entire auction null and void and you get your money back UNLESS he stated so in the auction.

and YES. people do get Authentic on-ice jerseys for $90 bucks from time to time on ebay but its rare. We all have our day in the sun once in a while.

Anyone know if you can get legit jerseys at Zellers or Wal Mart?

Also, what's the deal with people saying all the real jerseys are made in Canada? I've heard other people say that even the players are getting jerseys made in Indonesia. Which is true?

No real jerseys come from Indonesia? Or do they?

As everyone has already said, it's fake. You will never find a real Authentic jersey with a fight strap in XL, or small, or whatever. It is always in numerical value, like 46, 50, etc. There is ZERO chance that you got lucky and gotten a steal here. You have a greater chance of winning the Powerball lottery.

You're good brah, people would never lie on the interwebs.

BTW I'm Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, that jersey you just bought was totally my game jersey.

Well... I'm just not sure $90 (with free shipping) is too much to spend on a fake jersey that looks good enough. I'll have to see when I get it. I've heard people on another forum saying they intentionally collect fake jerseys if they're around $60 or less. I don't see what's so great about spending $300+ if the fake looks about the same and is fairly good quality. I've even heard people saying the fakes can have a better feel, and last longer.

This is a joke. Any amount of money is too much to spend on a fake. Not trying to be rude StayFrosy, but go buy an authentic and compare with your fake, and then come back and post and tell us what you think.

People are saying my arse...there's 1.3 billion people saying that, but only to increase the 15.7 trillion you already owe 'em.

..and pls stop talking about fight straps...if I sew a fight strap to my dishcloth, does it make it an authentic dishcloth?

I'm always happy to see new members here, and despite this, pls feel welcome to post and contribute with the rest of us, but do me a favour and take a few days to read through the boards. You'll find out there're answers already out there for many of the questions you have, being new to the hobby.

If you're planning on keeping the fake, you might as well send it to Guam, er, Ryan to have it signed. A fake jersey signed by someone posing as the Nudge is pretty fitting, and really, just as good, right?

Is it true you can only trust NHL official sites to give you the real thing? Can you trust the NHL arenas when you goto a game? Could I trust stores in West Edmonton Mall (2nd biggest mall in the world)?

And what are the chances you could buy a real jersey and then return it to the store using a fake one?

That's exactly what I said when I first got into this hobby. 'Why bother buying authentics when fakes are cheap?' - WRONG. I still own an authentic on-ice hockey jersey, just legit replicas, but even those are infinitely better than a fake. As was already said, any amount of money is too much to spend on a fake. For 90 bucks you can find legit customized replicas on eBay, and you're better off doing that with your money. Anyone who "intentionally collects fake jerseys" needs to be punched in the head repeatedly. They're not cool just because they have a bunch of jerseys all they have is bootlegs.

You can get legit authentic jerseys on eBay if you know what you're looking for. And why would a team store at an NHL arena sell you a fake jersey? Any reputable store, in an arena or in a mall, or anywhere else will always have legit jerseys.

Your third question is just ridiculous. If you're so cheap that you would consider buying a real jersey and returning a fake for a refund, you have no business in this hobby. That's not what we're about, man. You do like the rest of us and buy what you can afford. If all you can afford is a replica, you buy a legit replica. But you DON'T buy fakes, and you sure as hell don't try to swap out a fake for a real jersey.

Nhl pittsburgh penguins winter classic #87 crosby M

So if it's got a fight strap and is in letter sizing rather than chest measurement it's no doubt a fake?

Duly noted. Dang, I love that Winter Classic jersey too. Anywhere sell a replica for a decent price?

Edited by walshie90

So can anyone tell me what the deal is with Indonesia producing Authentics?

Some people say ANYTHING produced in Asia is fake, and if it's real it MUST be produced in Canada. But I even hear reports that some players are now wearing jerseys from Indonesia. What's the scoop? NHL.com seems to say all their jerseys are made in Indonesia.

BTW... I wasn't serious that I'm going to try ripping a store off by exchanging my jersey. I just thought that by asking the question, the answer would give me a good idea of how similar the real and fakes look. I certainly don't think I'm going to COLLECT fakes intentionally, or make this mistake again. But I understand that you guys are big hardcore jersey fanatics on this board, and for me personally I'm not looking for this to become that big of a hobby. I still have yet to become a hardcore hockey fan in general. I hope you don't think I'm insulting you... this is an AWESOME hobby to have, I just don't think it fits me personally. People have their own preferences. I have heard people who have owned real and fakes say that sometimes the fakes are actually better in a few ways. I've heard people say that they collect fakes. But obviously if this is a serious hobby for you, you wouldn't collect fakes.

I do, however, own one real Oilers Away replica from around 2003. I will buy a few more jerseys, either way.