It is good or not?

lafountain

Hey Wooten, growing up in Hershey and going to games all my life, I dont even know if I have a complete answer for you. I know a lot of times they auction off or give away game issued jerseys or oddball items (sort of like your jersey) and that would be my only guess. Is it game worn? It doesnt look like any if at all. Seems like it was an extra of some sort as its pretty much right but sort of off at the same time.

Sorry its not much but that really would be my only guess.

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit worried about the Steve Staios jersey I got from Meigray...

On the sleeves near the bottom there are these holes on the seam. You can stick your fingers through the hole, and if you use too much pressure it causes the stitches to begin tearing. BOTH sleeves have these holes, in the exact same locations. The hole is near the bottom of the sleeve, and then there's another hole up higher on the next seam. Yes, same deal on both sleeves.

I could post pics...

I think it's pretty strange. The only thing I can think is that these holes are meant to be on the jerseys to let air in. If it's a factory error it's weird that it would affect both sleeves in the exact same location.

It is a 1.0.

It's possible that Staios has his jerseys prepared like that. If it's game-worn, it's possible that it's wear from use, in which case DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO IT. Hell, either way don't do anything to it.

It's possible that Staios has his jerseys prepared like that. If it's game-worn, it's possible that it's wear from use, in which case DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO IT. Hell, either way don't do anything to it.

Ok, cool cool. But why would a player actually get their jerseys made like that?

This one isn't supposed to be Game Worn. I'm a bit freaked out that maybe it's factory error which is why it wasn't used. I would hope Meigray isn't dishonest like that.

Ok, cool cool. But why would a player actually get their jerseys made like that?

This one isn't supposed to be Game Worn. I'm a bit freaked out that maybe it's factory error which is why it wasn't used. I would hope Meigray isn't dishonest like that.

Because players have custom alterations done to their jerseys all the time. Maybe you should post pictures. I'm sure it's not a "factory error" - Team issued jerseys aren't the same jerseys you find in a retail store, they're custom tailored to the individual player's specifications. Even though 1.0's were available at retail, the ones the teams get are specially made the way the player requests them.

The only reason I can think of for Staios possibly having his jerseys altered like that is because the moisture wicking material on the 1.0's sucked and water ran into the gloves. It's possible that those holes are there to keep the moisture to a minimum. Of course, I have no idea. It's just a guess. Post pictures.

Ok so here are the pics of the holes in the sleeves. I tried to capture it as good as possible. Keep in mind this jersey is supposed to be issued, not worn.

Also the holes are almost exactly the same on either sleeve.

http://s7.postimage.org/lmm00s4c9/101_4574.jpg

101_4574.jpg

Also, I thought I'd post this, although it's probably normal for all the 1.0s or even 2.0s. I'm not sure. But there's this extra padding on the shoulders. There's these slits where it looks like some big pads could be put in for protection.

http://s16.postimage.org/5kxfg5y0z/101_4577.jpg

101_4577.jpg

Ok so here are the pics of the holes in the sleeves. I tried to capture it as good as possible. Keep in mind this jersey is supposed to be issued, not worn.

Also the holes are almost exactly the same on either sleeve.

http://s7.postimage.org/lmm00s4c9/101_4574.jpg

101_4574.jpg

Also, I thought I'd post this, although it's probably normal for all the 1.0s or even 2.0s. I'm not sure. But there's this extra padding on the shoulders. There's these slits where it looks like some big pads could be put in for protection.

http://s16.postimage.org/5kxfg5y0z/101_4577.jpg

101_4577.jpg

I honestly can’t tell a lot from those pictures, but I don’t think you should have any worries.

On my Rangers jersey with raglan sleeves I seem to remember that there is a second layer of material sewn into the shoulder area for reinforcement, and that the ply is slit to accommodate the natural curve of the shoulder. On jerseys with a yoke shoulder this wouldn’t be necessary.

Regarding the sleeves, it looks like they are closed with a safetystitch or overlock sewing machine. If the sewing machine operator does not get the two ply aligned while guiding the material under the presser foot and past the needles it is possible that one or both of the plies will not be caught. This could lead to a hole, or having the stitching so close to the edge of the material that you might see the start of a tear or stitch “grinning” as you start to apply pressure.

It is also possible that the sleeves were “notched” near the bottom in cutting. The notches are put in there to: 1. Help the sewing machine operator align the two parts so that the come out even at the end of the sleeves. Or 2. The notches are there to indicate to the sewing machine operator how far to turn back the cuff before sewing. If cutting is done by hand it is always possible that the notch went in too deep and was thus not caught.

Bottom line, I don’t think you should be concerned.

And as far as MeiGray goes, they have an excellent return policy. So if you’re going to lose sleep over this, just get an authorization and send it back. Change it for another if you like, but I believe there is no question as to their integrity. They are wonderful people to deal with. I have bought jerseys from them in the past, and that includes two purchases and one return when I was on a limited time trip to the United States and they got everything to me before I had to leave. I expect to buy more jerseys from them within the next few months. As Akteon said, “If all teams used MeiGray the world would be a better place.” Amen.

I think I could always post better pictures of the holes if needed. Thanks for the info.

I don't think I want to send the jersey back or anything. I know how to sew by hand so I could always fix the holes myself. Should I do that, or just leave it?

It just sounds like from what you're saying that this is some kind of factory error. I think it's possible that the reason why Steve Staios didn't wear this jersey is BECAUSE of this factory error. Thus it was never used and just left for sale by Meigray. I dunno what to think. One person did mention that the holes might be an intentional part of how Steve Staios wants his jersey... but I honestly can't figure out what good such holes would do. Plus they do kind of weaken the integrity of the sleeves, and that bothers me a little bit.

StayFrosy, I'm really curious about the holes in the sleeve you're talking about. I can't for the life of me make out any holes there. Does your camera have a macro focus setting? If so, use that and get a good closeup, please. I have a ton of 1.0's so I'd definitely be able to check for you, but I really don't understand the problem exactly and what I'm looking for. But I'd like to help.

I'll try to get some new pics right away...

FYI, I put the NHL action figures on there because their sticks are digging directly into the holes. Luongo has the best position... you can really see he's digging into a big hole there.

Honestly, who would fake a Steve Staios Oilers jersey? If it is from Meigray and they say it is gameworn you are fine. Players have crazy alterations done to their jerseys all the time and sometimes they are just done by the equipment guy in a back room at the player's whim.

I'm certainly not saying this jersey is fake... it's not. What I'm saying is that perhaps there was a factory error when making it which is why it was never used.

Here's a new picture. I turned the jersey inside out and am sticking my fingers through three of the holes in the sleeves.

http://s16.postimage.org/ucfd3jsb7/101_4584.jpg

101_4584.jpg

Did you buy it as a game-issued? In that case, there are a number of reasons why it wouldn't have been used. I doubt that a factory error would have been customized and sent to the team. That additional panel looks like a team alteration.

Of course the jersey isn't fake. I just checked mine, none of them have it, and mine also have sections "added" that break up the design.

I believe the crux of this problem goes to that extra piece sewn in between. There are a number of routes to go and I'm going to list them here.

The main thing I'm leaning towards is that either Staios requested it, OR the team requested it, either for added elasticity (these things rip easily) or as a crude drainage system (the reports of these jerseys flooding gloves are excessive). Those are two reasons why everyone switched from 1.0's almost immediately. There must be an additional reason as to why the Oilers stayed with them other than money, because if the jerseys were unusable, regardless of cost, they'd have to change something, and I think those holes may be their way of making the jerseys usable while saving money. Florida, Nashville and Washington all have similar "segments" added to the sleeve to break up the design, I'd be curious to see if any of those teams have these as well, and of course other Oilers jerseys.

Or it could simply by stylistic with that extra sheet. Who knows?

I would message Meigray about it. Assure them you're not doubting authenticity, their legitimacy, etc, to make sure they don't take you as hostile, and just ask if they know about it and if they could take a peak at a few others to see if its uniform.

I'm certainly not saying this jersey is fake... it's not. What I'm saying is that perhaps there was a factory error when making it which is why it was never used.

Here's a new picture. I turned the jersey inside out and am sticking my fingers through three of the holes in the sleeves.

http://s16.postimage.org/ucfd3jsb7/101_4584.jpg

101_4584.jpg

If the sleeve was opened and then an additional panel was sewn in, my impression is that the equipment guy simply did a poor job of sewing and failed to catch both ply.

No... I don't think there's an additional panel. That was on the shoulders, not the sleeves.

The sleeves look perfectly normal to me, except for the fact that there's these holes in the seam.

The only reason I showed the extra panel on the shoulders was because I thought it would be interesting.

No... I don't think there's an additional panel. That was on the shoulders, not the sleeves.

The sleeves look perfectly normal to me, except for the fact that there's these holes in the seam.

The only reason I showed the extra panel on the shoulders was because I thought it would be interesting.

Did you see my reply on the last page?

Yep, thank you. I'm emailing Meigray right now.

I'm just a bit stressed by this... to be honest, if I was selling this jersey I would be afraid that my customer is going to notice this problem and complain.

I'm just a bit stressed by this... to be honest, if I was selling this jersey I would be afraid that my customer is going to notice this problem and complain.

Seriously, don't worry about it. I'd say to a 99% certainty this was done on purpose. If this was on a retail, I'd be concerned, but you're getting a jersey from the source.

And to quell your fears, the jersey wouldn't have been a game issue if there was a significant error, because the jersey was MEANT to be worn. It wasn't discarded due to being unfit, it was intended to be used but simply wasn't. Relax, man. Promise you're fine.

I really wouldn't worry about it. IMO, it makes it more interesting. It wouldn't hurt to find out from Meigray, or the Islanders equipment guys what that might be. If it was a typical modification for Staios, they will know or at least know what it might be.

The shoulder material is the same as every Edge shirt that I have.

on the 22nd I can check an Isles 2.0 SS jerseys and see if he did this this yr when he played..

I fear that absence of the holes wouldn't be probative, however, since they were probably only needed in the 1.0 due to the lack of room in the sleeves. The presence of holes certainly would be more helpful, however, but also unlikely.

Earlier this year I ordered a Game Issued Rangers home (blue) jersey from MeiGray. It had been prepared for Greg Moore for the 2009-2010 season. It was/is a beautiful jersey and I treasure it. On turning it inside out to see the “birthdate” tag stickered to the material content/washing instructions tag I noticed that one of the sleeve numbers had not been completely sewn down. The jersey number is 42. One of the 4’s on the sleeves had only been sewn around the inner part of the number 4.

I certainly did not blame MeiGray for this. That’s the way they received the jersey from the New York Rangers. Apparently the team sewing personnel simply forgot to sew the 4 completely to the sleeve. I agonized a little over this; even asked some of the board members here for advice on what to do.

In the end, I got out my wife’s sewing machine, set the zig-zag stitch to duplicate the stitch length and throw on the other numbers, and sewed around the outside of the 4 just like on the other sleeve. Done.

I’m very happy with the way the jersey is. Again, I don’t believe there were any bad intentions on MeiGray’s part to sell you a jersey with holes in the sleeve seams, just as they didn’t try to do anything intentionally to me by sending me a jersey with a number partially sewn. That’s how they got it from the team.

Again, if you’re unhappy, talk to them. Even send it back or exchange it. Or sew the holes closed with needle and thread. Personally I think you should just relax and enjoy the jersey.

I fear that absence of the holes wouldn't be probative, however, since they were probably only needed in the 1.0 due to the lack of room in the sleeves. The presence of holes certainly would be more helpful, however, but also unlikely.

It Wont hurt to check though

It Wont hurt to check though

Nope, not at all. :)