It is good or not?

lafountain

Depends on what everyone's opinion is of what is a "lowball" offer. Had an Edge 2.0 properly customized NWT jersey up on eBay not long ago asking for $250. Had people send me messages asking If I would take $150 or even $100 for it. Those I have no issues with. I had a clown send me an offer of $5 and then $8. I countered each with $249.99 and $249.98 respectively. Those are timewasters and he went on my block list immediately after.

Seems a lot of buyers think that every seller is desperate for cash right away. I have had way too many buyers send me a lowball offer and when I counter with what I believe to be a reasonable counter, send me a nasty message saying it will take me forever to sell it. You should see how dumbfounded they get when I tell them I am in no hurry to sell. The concept seems alien to them.

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno... plenty of buyers lowball and try to devalue the product just to get it for cheap. I personally find that annoying, because I don't do that to other sellers. Regardless of if you can set up an autoreject or not. Plus, I've dealt with plenty of buyers who send an offer of say $100 on a $250 jersey and when you reject saying "I can't go anywhere near that low" they send another offer of $105. Stop wasting people's time and being annoying.

Just my two cents.

If its so annoying to you (or whomever), why would you not use the auto reject feature? There is no down side to it, you just don't have to deal with what you consider to be a lowball offer. To not use the feature and then complain about how annoying people that you could have blocked are seems counterintuitive.

To the extent that a lowball bidder is wasting your time or being annoying, its really your own fault for not avoiding the situation when you know there is a feature designed to avoid that exact situation.

And I say this being the seller much more often than a lowballing buyer.

If its so annoying to you (or whomever), why would you not use the auto reject feature? There is no down side to it, you just don't have to deal with what you consider to be a lowball offer. To not use the feature and then complain about how annoying people that you could have blocked are seems counterintuitive.

To the extent that a lowball bidder is wasting your time or being annoying, its really your own fault for not avoiding the situation when you know there is a feature designed to avoid that exact situation.

And I say this being the seller much more often than a lowballing buyer.

I disagree.

First of all, I don't use the auto reject feature because I feel like its actually a negative thing. It stops some buyers from even making another offer because they think "oh the auto reject is set really high" or it ups the offer count on the page, and makes it look like I'm being unreasonable.

Its not my fault if someone wants to be a jackass and act like what I'm selling is worth pennies on the dollar. Sorry, but I'll never agree with that mentality.

I disagree.First of all, I don't use the auto reject feature because I feel like its actually a negative thing. It stops some buyers from even making another offer because they think "oh the auto reject is set really high" or it ups the offer count on the page, and makes it look like I'm being unreasonable.Its not my fault if someone wants to be a jackass and act like what I'm selling is worth pennies on the dollar. Sorry, but I'll never agree with that mentality.

The point is not whether you agree with the mentality. The point is, you can avoid it.

The auto reject would never stop people from making a reasonable offer if you utilize it correctly. You'd only be blocking out those bids that you deem low enough to be a lowball offer. By your logic, you wouldn't want to deal with those bidders anyway. Plus, how does someone making a blocked lowball bid make them think the auto reject is too high? You just set it just below what you think is too low, and try to get the people who come close to come up. If you sell a $150 jersey and someone offers $8, there is no possible way you logic regarding the auto reject being set too high would ever come into play.

If you list an item with the Best Offer feature, and you don't restrict it, then you open it to all offers, those you'd accept and those you wouldn't.

The point is not whether you agree with the mentality. The point is, you can avoid it.

The auto reject would never stop people from making a reasonable offer if you utilize it correctly. You'd only be blocking out those bids that you deem low enough to be a lowball offer. By your logic, you wouldn't want to deal with those bidders anyway. Plus, how does someone making a blocked lowball bid make them think the auto reject is too high? You just set it just below what you think is too low, and try to get the people who come close to come up. If you sell a $150 jersey and someone offers $8, there is no possible way you logic regarding the auto reject being set too high would ever come into play.

If you list an item with the Best Offer feature, and you don't restrict it, then you open it to all offers, those you'd accept and those you wouldn't.

I'm aware that I can use the auto reject feature. We just disagree that that "avoids the problem." As I said, it hurts more than it helps in my opinion. Buyers only get a limited number of offers and may use them all up or stop trying because they think that an auto reject is set ridiculously high. I know I've seen that happen before. And again, having several people submit offers that get auto rejected can make it look like I'm being unreasonable and deter buyers. Using an $8 offer is an obviously massively extreme example. Yea, I can set the auto reject to $10 or under and "avoid those idiots" but that's not at all the point here.

I get that you don't agree or understand what I'm saying, but that really doesn't matter. Its not "my fault" that I deal with lowballers. Or anyone's fault. Lowballers are the problem, not the people who are trying to sell something for a fair price. If you don't agree with that mentality, I'm sorry but I can't help you, lol.

Edited by dsl135

I'm aware that I can use the auto reject feature. We just disagree that that "avoids the problem." As I said, it hurts more than it helps in my opinion. Buyers only get a limited number of offers and may use them all up or stop trying because they think that an auto reject is set ridiculously high. I know I've seen that happen before. And again, having several people submit offers that get auto rejected can make it look like I'm being unreasonable and deter buyers. Using an $8 offer is an obviously massively extreme example. Yea, I can set the auto reject to $10 or under and "avoid those idiots" but that's not at all the point here.I get that you don't agree or understand what I'm saying, but that really doesn't matter. Its not "my fault" that I deal with lowballers. Or anyone's fault. Lowballers are the problem, not the people who are trying to sell something for a fair price. If you don't agree with that mentality, I'm sorry but I can't help you, lol.

I do understand what you're saying, It just doesn't make any sense. It is your fault you deal with them, because you don't avail yourself of the feature that helps eliminate them. Lowballers present absolutely no "problem", you just find it annoying to deal with them, while not using the tool that would permit you to not deal with them.

Your auto reject would only make you look unreasonable and deter buyers if you don't know how to use it. If the auto reject is set in such a manner that it eliminates only those offers that you consider too low or insulting and annoying, then it wouldn't deter any legitimate buyers. If you think that if you are selling a $200 item, you'd accept $150, and a guy who bids $20 might come up to your price and you don't want to deter him by having a properly set auto reject, then you are living in a fantasy world.

And I don't need any help, but I agree you have nothing to offer me.

Edited by mfitz804

Ok man, its like talking to a wall... move along. Like I said, we don't agree. Its as simple as that.

You can think what you want. I don't care.

Move along? That's kind of a rude way to try to back out of a conversation when you've taken an obviously unsupportable position.

Move along? That's kind of a rude way to try to back out of a conversation when you've taken an obviously unsupportable position.

I'm not sure why you're so desperate to harp on this. Its not being rude. If anything, your "you have nothing to offer me" remark was by far the rudest thing said so far.

We don't agree. Its as simple as that. I said this already... which is why I'm saying the conversation is basically over. We don't agree and I'm tired of both of us repeating ourselves. Its ok to have differing opinions. If you want to make mine out to be unsupportable despite the amount I've already explained it and with perfectly sound reason, then I'm not sure what else you want from me. I'm not going to sit here and keep saying the same things back and forth.

We. Don't. Agree. And. That's. Ok.

Edited by dsl135

I'm not desperate to harp on anything, message boards are designed for conversation. I was genuinely interested in why you would choose to entertain lowball bids while simultaneously being annoyed by them. I thought by discussing it maybe I would understand your position. But your justification for not blocking lowball bidders was not deterring reasonable bidders, which doesn't make any sense if you set the auto reject at an appropriate number.

I'm still trying to figure how that could be possible, and I'm coming up with nothing.

I don't want to get involved with the argument here, but one point about the automatic blocking feature of lowball offers is that you don't even know that an offer was made.

I sold jerseys like that for a while on eBay, and I would wonder why some jerseys would seem to go forever without even receiving an offer. Turns out, there were several offers, just below (and not by much) my reserve price.

If I decided to list anything on eBay in that manner again, I wouldn't use the automatic decline feature either.

Edited by thebiggoalie

I don't want to get involved with the argument here, but one point about the automatic blocking feature of lowball offers is that you don't even know that an offer was made.

I sold jerseys like that for a while on eBay, and I would wonder why some jerseys would seem to go forever without even receiving an offer. Turns out, there were several offers, just below (and not by much) my reserve price.

If I decided to list anything on eBay in that manner again, I wouldn't use the automatic decline feature either.

I'm not talking about using it for an amount close to what you would accept. Like so:

Jersey is listed for $200.

I would take $150.

I consider anything less than $80 to be a complete insult and an affront to all jersey sales in the history of the world. I'll be totally annoyed if anyone offers me less than $80.

If I set the auto reject at $80 (or $75 even), I won't get the insulting offers and I won't be annoyed.

If anyone offers me $81 (a dollar more than annoying) or more, I can counteroffer to try to push them up toward $150. If we can't get there, or I don't decide to take less than $150, then we don't make a deal.

Reasonable bidders can't be deterred, because anyone bidding below the blocked threshold (the amount you would be annoyed to receive an offer of) is not a reasonable bidder.

As I said from the outset, if you set the auto reject low enough to block everyone who bids way too low, but leave yourself enough room to try to bring up the bids of people who are low but not quite to an insulting level, you can't lose out on a sale that you would ever possibly accept. And you don't have to get annoyed by the fact that someone made an insulting offer.

In thebiggoalie's scenario, the auto reject was set too high. It can't be that close to a number you would accept, it has to be close to (or slightly below) the number you would NEVER accept.

If you don't know how low you'd ultimately be willing to go, then setting an auto reject wouldn't make sense.

Edited by mfitz804

Sorry to have caused a shitstorm.

I've had good luck with low-balling and it usually results in a lower negotiated price. This is the first time that I observed a negative reaction from the strategy.

I am going to agree with those here that the auto-decline feature is no good. Had it not been for that feature, I could have easily sold one of my jerseys to a rapey Caps fan for less than half of what I eventually sold it for.

SR0BQVs.png

Main reason why I do not use the auto reject feature on offers is that I actually do want to see those really low ball offers. Gives me a chance to see who the flippers and the jackasses are so I can block them from ever bidding on my stuff again. too many times these people end up being the ones causing you headaches down the road if you make a deal with them so like I said I like to know who they are.

Main reason why I do not use the auto reject feature on offers is that I actually do want to see those really low ball offers. Gives me a chance to see who the flippers and the jackasses are so I can block them from ever bidding on my stuff again. too many times these people end up being the ones causing you headaches down the road if you make a deal with them so like I said I like to know who they are.

Finally, a valid reason for not using that feature!

Of course, if you do block someone for low balling, you take the risk that later on, you may have an item they REALLY want and they may not be able to make a non-lowball offer.

I have made some lowball offers (not stupid low, but significantly less than the asking price). I have also bid multiple hundreds of dollars, like I did on a vintage Devils jersey recently. NOBODY was beating my bid.

That being said, there is a big difference between my lowball and a guy that just repeatedly offers 5% of your ask on all of your items. In that case, you can be reasonably sure you'll never get a decent bid and you can block him.

I do run that risk, but it's a risk I am willing to take. Almost always I do not immediately block them, but present them with what I think is a fair counteroffer. If they send me a nasty message back or send me another lowball offer, then to the block list they do. These buyers tend to end up being the nightmare ones that I would rather not deal with. eBay has millions of buyers so even if I block a few hundred buyers I still like my chances.

Also when I am talking about lowball, I am not talking about someone offering me $20 for a $50 item with free shipping that I have. That is at least something I think we can work with. I am talking about the ones offering me $3, $5 and $10 that said item. I wish these examples were rare, but unfortunately they are not. Sorry, but I doubt any of these buyers would dare offer something for 20% or less of asking price at a real life flea market.

Finally, a valid reason for not using that feature!

Of course, if you do block someone for low balling, you take the risk that later on, you may have an item they REALLY want and they may not be able to make a non-lowball offer.

I have made some lowball offers (not stupid low, but significantly less than the asking price). I have also bid multiple hundreds of dollars, like I did on a vintage Devils jersey recently. NOBODY was beating my bid.

That being said, there is a big difference between my lowball and a guy that just repeatedly offers 5% of your ask on all of your items. In that case, you can be reasonably sure you'll never get a decent bid and you can block him.

Edited by Devilsguy

I think plenty of people gave perfectly valid reasons (you just wanted to agree with a Devils fan... and to be clear, I'm not being a jerk, that's just a fun joke!)

If you were so steadfast against it because you thought I was lumping you in with the idiotic lowballers then I apologize as that wasn't my intention.

The important thing to remember here is that neither the Flyers nor the Devils made the postseason this year.

:P

The important thing to remember here is that neither the Flyers nor the Devils made the postseason this year.

:P

You sonuvabitch!

I think plenty of people gave perfectly valid reasons (you just wanted to agree with a Devils fan... and to be clear, I'm not being a jerk, that's just a fun joke!)

If you were so steadfast against it because you thought I was lumping you in with the idiotic lowballers then I apologize as that wasn't my intention.

You completely missed the point. The question wasn't why you hate lowballers. The question was, if lowballers bother you, why not block them?

It was a serious question which you had no answer to. Devilsguy, aside from his obvious high intelligence in choosing the proper alliance, actually explained his position rather than declaring the topic over because someone disagreed.

It's ok though, was just trying to understand your position on the topic, sometimes a meeting of the minds just doesn't work out.

Edited by mfitz804

You completely missed the point. The question wasn't why you hate lowballers. The question was, if lowballers bother you, why not block them?

I didn't miss any point, lol. You just don't agree, and can't see how you could possibly be wrong, or frankly can't even see how anyone could possibly have a differing opinion. And its just ridiculous.

And this is precisely why I tried to end the conversation last night. You've said all of this nonsense before. What do you think this is adding to the conversation to just keep repeating yourself at me and acting like you're right and I'm wrong? Even now that others have supported my "unsupportable position" and repeated what I was saying all along, you're still trying to argue over it. I give up dude. This isn't a conversation at this point, so I'm not going to respond to this anymore. You win.

Edited by dsl135

dsl and I have mutually decided this conversation is going nowhere so I'll just say sorry for going so overboard on what isn't really that important of a matter.

Edited by mfitz804