It is good or not?

lafountain

Yes, it's legit. You are correct about it not being from 98-99 because of the double circle center ice tag.

So it's from the two years before that. You can even add a finals patch to that jersey if you wanted to.

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reasonably sure (but not 100%) that the jerseys produced for the 1996-97 season are the only ones with the "R" next to the NHL shield on the hem. The 1997-98's did not seem to have that, although you may see examples of leftover 96/97's with the R used during the 97/98 preseason or possibly regular season. So if you want to be really particular about the date, I'd say yours is a 96/97.

OK, thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it!

I'll look in to the 'r' beside the NHL logo - that together with a lack of the Konstantinov patch would probably pretty much nail that down I guess.

I'll look in to the cup patch possibility as well.

Thanks again!

I think LAK has it dead on with the 'r' beside the NHL logo in the 96-97 season only.

There seem to be a lot of later jerseys (double circle 98-99s) with '97 cup patches on them being sold on ebay!

As far as the patches go, it looks to me like the vintage ones have a nice sunburst with triangular rays coming from the sun behind the cup, while the repros tend to have little sticks coming from the sun instead:

Real (?): http://tinyurl.com/p2ffngu

Repro: http://tinyurl.com/oqe22k6

I'm inclined to buy the real vintage one linked above (if it looks good?), then have it sewn on by a good service ... it seems the website hosts here (icejerseys) are the way to go there?

Thanks again for helping out this poor nOOb .... !

EDIT: I'll post the patch bit here in the patch thread as well as it's probably better discussed there ...

Edited by albdarned

Just fyi, the "vintage" patch you posted is still a copy and not an original. The Conference letters are too thin (actually it's not even the same font), and it has the trademark "R" and "TM", which are not on the original. Many other differences in the embroidery exist as well.

Edited by LAK74

It just takes some experience and definitely some research to get good at differentiating originals from reproductions. Everyone has to start somewhere, so don't get discouraged.

This is a patch from a Flyers' gamer:

image_zpscnecpnsg.jpg

I just got back from a luncheon with Gretzky, and wanted to share these pics with you since it was this board and member that help make purchase of the jersey happen. I had Gretzky sign it less than an hour ago. Not the most ideal signature placement but I don't care because it will be framed and hanging on my wall.

post-23363-0-59094500-1434404147_thumb.jpost-23363-0-82591300-1434404816_thumb.j

Edited by airwalker

There's no such thing as a less-than-ideal signature placement when it's Gretzky signing it. I'd take his autograph on the cuff of a jersey's sleeve. It's Wayne F(&^*** Gretzky. He signed your jersey in person. That's priceless.

I'd like to give Wayne my autograph.

And by autograph of course I mean my fist in his teeth. Free of charge for Captain Weiner!

Id like to sign the toe of my steel toed boot and then kick him squar in the nuts with it. Him and that P.O.S. Kerry Fraser.

I'd like to give Wayne my autograph.

And by autograph of course I mean my fist in his teeth. Free of charge for Captain Weiner!

Id like to sign the toe of my steel toed boot and then kick him squar in the nuts with it. Him and that P.O.S. Kerry Fraser.

Any particular reason why?

I almost forgot how bad goaltending was pre 1995.

Sure, gretzky's hat trick in game 7 killed us but I'm referring to this.

Kerry Fraser can rot in hell for this and Gretzky can take a long walk off a short pier.

Yes, I'm still extremely bitter about this 22 years later

I get that Leafs fans remember that non-call but what about Macoun pulling down Rob Blake on a breakaway before that? Fraser didn't call that one either, and if Blake scores or the Kings score on a power play, maybe the Leafs never tie it and it never even goes to OT?

Rational thought and Leafs fans don't mix. We got hosed and that's all there is to it for us.

To this day I firmly believe we would have scored on the pp if it was called and gone on to beat the Habs for the cup. Only thing that will make that change is the Laughs winning and that's not happening anytime soon and maybe not in my lifetime.

Hey Guys, I would really appreciate any help you can offer on whether or not this jersey is authentic. The listing said it was purchased from the Penguins Team store at the Consol Energy Centre but then again, anyone can make up a story about anything. Any help in determining if this jersey is real or fake would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

http://s284.photobucket.com/user/rickjames_22/library/?view=recent&page=1

Hey Guys, I would really appreciate any help you can offer on whether or not this jersey is authentic. The listing said it was purchased from the Penguins Team store at the Consol Energy Centre but then again, anyone can make up a story about anything. Any help in determining if this jersey is real or fake would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

http://s284.photobucket.com/user/rickjames_22/library/?view=recent&page=1

Fake jersey

Yep... Very fake...