It is good or not?

lafountain

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Real? Fake? Obviously not game worn, but is it an authentic? Could be game issued?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wayne-Gretzky-New-York-Rangers-Jersey-Double-Starter-NHL-Logos-Gretz-set-tags-/161758272835

I've seen signed versions of this jersey with a limited production run -

Here is another one (old auction) - http://www.gamewornauctions.net/products/Wayne_Gretzky_New_York_Rangers_Replica_Jersey_1998_99_Final_Season-7598-175.html

Very common fake. Even the one you linked sold on GW Auctions is a fake.

Here's a run down of the issues previously noted with those fakes:

- The "G" and "S" in "RANGERS" on the front is wrong.

- The blue color is actually more cyan than the royal it should be

- The red color stripes are more magenta than the red it should be

- The lettering/numbers numbers are the cheap puffy vinyl-like material not twill

- The stitching on the lettering/numbers is not zig-zag, almost emroidered stitch

- The seam stitching for the stripes in the hem doesn't match an authentic

- The mesh material isn't exactly like that of a Starter authentic

- The size tag doesn't match the 52-R etc. standard for Starter (and Gretzky game jerseys didn't have a size)

- The set tag is a dead giveaway, even if it was a commemorative replica of his final game why have a fake set tag?

As for your comment that you've seen limited runs of these signed, unfortunately fake jerseys with legit signatures are regularly sold. The limited run numbering was for the signing, not the jersey.

If you were to hold one of these in your hands and compare it to a legit Starter authentic, you would easily see all of the issues described above.

Edited by akteon

It's legit but the letters and numbers are rather off. The alternate captain "A" is totally wrong.

True, that's a complete strip and re-do. Everything is wrong on it.

Very common fake. Even the one you linked sold on GW Auctions is a fake.

Thanks! I didn't realize there were common fakes other than the easy to spot Reebok fakes. Will have to be careful buying Starters too. Are CCMs generally safe?

Thanks! I didn't realize there were common fakes other than the easy to spot Reebok fakes. Will have to be careful buying Starters too. Are CCMs generally safe?

The blue double tagged Starter Gretzky Rangers jersey was the most common fake (in my opinion) prior to the Edge fake explosion.

I have seen CCM fakes, but I haven't ever seen a fake Rangers CCM (yet?). The older style fakes are normally of big name players (Gretzky, Lemieux).

Best advice, if it seems to good to be true it probably is. Blanks are substantially more safe than customized jerseys. If you're unsure, post it here :thumbsup:

It's definitely off, but Gilmour did wear that style A on the redesigned jersey.

When the heck was that A used on that style jersey? Never seen that before. Was it used for the entire duration of a set?

When the heck was that A used on that style jersey? Never seen that before. Was it used for the entire duration of a set?

The arm numbers are touching the sleeve stripes in that pic, and I'm pretty sure later sets had them further seperated, so likely early in the season, but in either event, I think the customizer probably just snagged an A from leftover stock and slapped it on.

I've also seen a few gamers that season that exhibit the older font, again, likely just using left over stock (for whatever reason)...

I'll have to check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure a have a pic of an early Felix Potvin gamer that exhibits the older font.

Slims right, the Leafs were all over the place in the early 90's with their fonts. The names were the same but the numbers and A could vary. I've seen two jerseys from the same season worn at the same time with different #7 fonts on each one.

That killer was probably from the preseason and early part of the 92-93 season.

From what I have got we have the font in the first of Slim's pictures with the numbers in the second.

The jersey in the listing is the home/away of the jersey in the second as well.

Would it be worth bidding? As for me getting it stripped and re-customised would be a lot of money.

This sucks. I'm going to have to think twice now before I make fun of screwed-up Leafs jerseys- they might actually be correct. :P

Just to be clear the jersey on eBay was not correct. The name was way to thick and the numbers were wrong all together. For the price it went for it wasn't worth the risk to strip.

Yes, the Leafs are hella messed up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201392119254?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2661&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

just trying to find out if the customization on these all star jerseys are correct ,I think the 7s are to far apart any comments would be appreciated

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201392119254?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2661&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

just trying to find out if the customization on these all star jerseys are correct ,I think the 7s are to far apart any comments would be appreciated

They should not be touching the orange stripe, but it is a size 44 and therefore has less material to place the numbers onto