It is good or not?

lafountain

Well, the autograph may be real but the jersey absolutely is not. Avoid that one like the plague.

Really, that's curious. My cousin saw this and asked me to post it here. I thought it was a real one because

a. The fight strap has the white cap

b. The jersey has the velcro strip on the right side where the jersey would normally be tucked in

c. The WGA card says this was custom made the the name "Gretzky" in the neck, the set tag, and the velcro strip.

So I thought that this would be "real" in the sense that it was made by Starter. I would also assume that WGA would not buy fakes to use for signings.

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, that's curious. My cousin saw this and asked me to post it here. I thought it was a real one because

a. The fight strap has the white cap

b. The jersey has the velcro strip on the right side where the jersey would normally be tucked in

c. The WGA card says this was custom made the the name "Gretzky" in the neck, the set tag, and the velcro strip.

So I thought that this would be "real" in the sense that it was made by Starter. I would also assume that WGA would not buy fakes to use for signings.

Yeah those tags inside the Hem are ALWAYS fake. Plus, it didn't really look like real starter mesh.

Those fake Gretzky Rangers jerseys are all over the place. I've seen tons of them with apparently legitimate signatures as well. I guess Wayne doesn't discriminate what he signs.

If you see one up close, the mesh is really close to the Starter mesh - similar weight, but feels similar. What I noticed is that is seems a bit more shiny than the Starters and the blue is a bit more cyan than royal. It's really noticeable if you put it next to a legit blue Starter. Another thing to note is that the stitching is almost over-done on the numbers. It's not really a zig-zag stitch, more of a straight embroidered stitch.

As others said, if it's got a "set tag" and it's not an actual gamer, then it's a fake.

Another quick one here guys. Price, lack of pictures, and the fact he's selling 3 of the same make me weary. Customization looks good though. I asked him to post more pictures so hopefully I can have a more definitive answer by the time it finishes

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...sid=p2759.l1259

Those fake Gretzky Rangers jerseys are all over the place. I've seen tons of them with apparently legitimate signatures as well. I guess Wayne doesn't discriminate what he signs.

If you see one up close, the mesh is really close to the Starter mesh - similar weight, but feels similar. What I noticed is that is seems a bit more shiny than the Starters and the blue is a bit more cyan than royal. It's really noticeable if you put it next to a legit blue Starter. Another thing to note is that the stitching is almost over-done on the numbers. It's not really a zig-zag stitch, more of a straight embroidered stitch.

As others said, if it's got a "set tag" and it's not an actual gamer, then it's a fake.

Yeah, I have the fake version of Gretzky's farewell game (I have it posted on my webshots album). I also have the real thing (the blank I mentioned in asking for a fight strap). You can definitely tell the difference in colour, and the size of the word "starter" on the hem. Also, the starter and NHL logos on the back hem are not embroidered all the way through the hemon the fake, just the first layer. My real one has it all the way through both layers of the hem.

I just thought this might have been made by starter for WGA and done to look like a Gretzky gamer. The COA card even states that this was "custom made" with said gamer attributes (set tag, velcro strip, and "gretzky" name tag in neck).

Combine that with the fact that this is Wayne's own company and I thought that maybe this was not an asian knockoff, but something custom done for WGA.

Also, what made me think this more was the fight strap has the white cap (not so on my fake) and this had the velcro strip (my fake doesn't have that either)

Got another one for you guys. I've been looking for an Islanders Authentic from 95-98 for a while now, and think I may have hit on one. It looks fine to me, with the 25 year patch and correct tagging, considering this type of jersey was worn in 1996-97. Regardless, I figured I'd ask some experts. Thanks in advance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-NHL-CCM-New-...=item2304f1bf05

Got another one for you guys. I've been looking for an Islanders Authentic from 95-98 for a while now, and think I may have hit on one. It looks fine to me, with the 25 year patch and correct tagging, considering this type of jersey was worn in 1996-97. Regardless, I figured I'd ask some experts. Thanks in advance.

Looks good, but I think you need to change the crest to the Gorton's guy to make it completely accuarate

Looks good, but I think you need to change the crest to the Gorton's guy to make it completely accuarate

Idk. I think this was one of the in between years, where they kept the jersey design but changed the front crest to stop the fans from complaining for a little while.

It's good.

I have a white version that was used in the preseason, and I do have this one saved on my eBay list.

Idk. I think this was one of the in between years, where they kept the jersey design but changed the front crest to stop the fans from complaining for a little while.

Yes sir! That jersey is, as Nathan said, 100% legit. That was from 1996-97 when the fans got tired of the Gorton's guy so the Isles put the original crest back onto the wave jersey. They actually wore all four versions throughout the year that year. Then, they added the 25th anny patch. The fisherman ones were okay but I REALLY dug these when the old crest came back. If you can get the accurate font for the back, that one will look fantastic.

Gonchar isn't at the top of my list of players I'd want a jersey of, but Sergei is one of those players who I hate that the Caps let get away- to have both him and Mike Green would be pretty cool. Anyway, how legit is this one? I'm not so sure on the lettering on the back. This one's finally in a good size for me and the #17 numbering does look much better than the 17 on the Ridley that was on a while back, but I can't tell about the lettering: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=200429541996.

I was waiting for you to ask about that jersey.

Jersey and seller are legit, I have bought a blank Caps screaming eagle jersey from him before. If I was getting this jersey I would definitely strip it because it doesn't have a name plate and the numbering is totally off.

I was waiting for you to ask about that jersey.

Jersey and seller are legit, I have bought a blank Caps screaming eagle jersey from him before. If I was getting this jersey I would definitely strip it because it doesn't have a name plate and the numbering is totally off.

I was thinking there seemed to be a nameplate missing too- maybe that's why I thought the lettering was off without looking at a closeup of the lettering. Ironically, the best view of that is where it seems the seller is trying to show the collar tag (second pic from bottom). I'd be really nervous to strip it, I've never really tried other than to inconspicuously see what was glued/sewn to that nightmare Premier, and the last thing I'd want to do is ruin one that is legitimately from back then if I screwed up. It would definitely be easier to strip if there were a nameplate. From what I've read on here, it takes lots of patience and sometimes a bit of luck to get it. I don't get why it was so hard for them to get the number 17 right- the numbers on the Ridley were too narrow, this one now that I look again at it I think they're a bit too wide...

hey guys, I remember seeing this site being discussed on IJ, just wanted to know if you guys have experience with them and if they're legit, do good work or not, & etc.

http://stores.classicmnhockey.com/-strse-J.../Categories.bok

just came across this forumn so i registered. i was doing some internet digging on rivercity sports and found an old fourrm from july 09. wish i read it earlier. i have had nothing but trouble with rivercity sports. bought a toronto alt pro kessel jersey . the number size was wrong and i was and still am being told every line in the book. rob is the customer rep i am dealing with. this has been going on since the middle of october.

hey guys, I remember seeing this site being discussed on IJ, just wanted to know if you guys have experience with them and if they're legit, do good work or not, & etc.

http://stores.classicmnhockey.com/-strse-J.../Categories.bok

I was thinking about giving them a shot. Since they told me shipping will be $20 for maximum 5 kits to Canada, so I am gathering my listing of kits for them to have a shot at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Chicago-Blackh...=item23051ea32b

anyone know anything about jerseys this old?

Whoa...that is a real beauty. Those multi-layered numbers and the Goodman & Sons tag probably puts it back in the mid 70's. The only thing is I've never heard of the Hawks wearing mesh at that time. It was all durene up until the CCM ultrafil in 1983. That being said, I can't POSSIBLY see anyone trying to fake a Goodman & Sons Hawks jersey. I would say that might be a retail jersey from that period or even something wackier like an individual jersey needed for a player while on the road. I don't know...but what I do know is that is absolutely beautiful and you should go for it.

What about this.....

Crosby Blue Third

It doesn't have the winter classic patch as most fakes do, and the closeup of the number 7 looks like real twill. Maybe some other eyes can help me out

What about this.....

Crosby Blue Third

It doesn't have the winter classic patch as most fakes do, and the closeup of the number 7 looks like real twill. Maybe some other eyes can help me out

I don't see anything obvious but I do question the size 54 - I thought these days that was a rare size (like a 58 etc.) that normally was only found in GIs etc. not normally found for retail?

What about this.....

Crosby Blue Third

Auto looks fake as well