Jersey You Wouldn't Be Caught Dead Wearing

Mach_9

Well - I thought this would be an interesting topic. Not necessarily which jersey do you think is ugliest or needs to be changed... just what jersey (or jerseys) would you never wear. You can just give us the team or go with specific players. I know I'd never be caught dead in a 'Canes or Stars jersey (exception maybe Jokinen for Dallas), and definitly not a Tucker jersey. I would also never wear a Tim Connolly jersey, as proved himself to be a real jerk, right in front of me, on a couple of occasions when he was with the Islanders (yes - he's with my Sabres and I like when he contributes to the team, but I witnessed him being a real moron with very young fans and it made me lose respect for him entirely).

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently we'd all wear any jersey in NHL history. My topic starting ability is horrible...

Apparently we'd all wear any jersey in NHL history. My topic starting ability is horrible...

Not necessarily true, in my case I just haven't really thought much about it. I will have some opinions on it though.

Well - I thought this would be an interesting topic. Not necessarily which jersey do you think is ugliest or needs to be changed... just what jersey (or jerseys) would you never wear. You can just give us the team or go with specific players. I know I'd never be caught dead in a 'Canes or Stars jersey (exception maybe Jokinen for Dallas), and definitly not a Tucker jersey. I would also never wear a Tim Connolly jersey, as proved himself to be a real jerk, right in front of me, on a couple of occasions when he was with the Islanders (yes - he's with my Sabres and I like when he contributes to the team, but I witnessed him being a real moron with very young fans and it made me lose respect for him entirely).

For me, a rangers or a redwings jersey and that has nothing to do with the design of the jersey. I like the 1977 rangers and the lady liberty jersey, but there's no way I would wear those. Well, you asked. B)

Players? Keith Tkachuk. Never again. :noway: Even the sight of Tkachuk jerseys at Coyote games still turns my stomach.

So why the Rangers and Wings? I'll add Florida, Los Angeles, and St. Louis to my previously mentioned Carolina and Dallas. It's rare that a warm weather team finds a way to my heart. I'd add Tampa Bay to that list as well, because I think they have the worst uniform in the NHL and are due for a change/update, but I'd probably still were a LeCavalier jersey. Maybe if he gets traded I'll cross them off. All of these jerseys I wouldn't wear, I'd still own and display if I ever have a room of only hockey memorabilia and stuff. I'd love a jersey - maybe a captain - from each team in there.

The Mustard Yellow Nashville jersey of course just because of it's looks. Though if I had a Kariya one, it could hang in the back of my closet, but it would never be worn.

As a Red Wings man, my choice for "never in a million years" is the Colorado Avalanche.

Yeah, yeah - you didn't even need to answer. :lol: Just like Wolf doesn't need to say Leafs, I could have guessed you'd say Colorado.

I'm the same way. I won't base my wearing of a jersey on its look but what team it is. I'll never own the following:

Islanders

Flyers

Penguins

Devils

Bruins

Canadiens

Ducks

No chance in hell of me ever purchasing or wearing one of those jerseys.

So why the Rangers and Wings? I'll add Florida, Los Angeles, and St. Louis to my previously mentioned Carolina and Dallas. It's rare that a warm weather team finds a way to my heart. I'd add Tampa Bay to that list as well, because I think they have the worst uniform in the NHL and are due for a change/update, but I'd probably still were a LeCavalier jersey. Maybe if he gets traded I'll cross them off. All of these jerseys I wouldn't wear, I'd still own and display if I ever have a room of only hockey memorabilia and stuff. I'd love a jersey - maybe a captain - from each team in there.

I grew up an Islander fan, therefore I have a built-in hatred for the rangers. And boy, did it steam all the ranger fans when the DENIS POTVIN and Isles won the Cup in 1980 (and 1981 and 1982 and 1983!). :thumbsup:

I didn't really have much against the redwings until I went to a game in 1997 at America West Arena, where I had to encounter their legion of fans. I know that a good amount of them are from Michigan, but many just root for them because they win, sort of like the yankees' following.

So, Mach_9, just what do you have against the warm-weather teams?

I have no morals. I'll wear anything if I think it will get me on TV!

I usually give my friend a Wild jersey and then I'll wear something from the visiting team just to get on the tube. Works great too.

The only jersey I would really, really feel like a idiot wearing is the Duck Wild Wing alt from 95-96.

Try not to lose your lunch looking at this one...

395024687CNUKrL_th.jpg

Click on the photo to see it larger, and don't forget to check out the font used on the back. Sheesh.

I have no morals. I'll wear anything if I think it will get me on TV!

I usually give my friend a Wild jersey and then I'll wear something from the visiting team just to get on the tube. Works great too.

The only jersey I would really, really feel like a idiot wearing is the Duck Wild Wing alt from 95-96.

Try not to lose your lunch looking at this one...

395024687CNUKrL_th.jpg

Click on the photo to see it larger, and don't forget to check out the font used on the back. Sheesh.

I can honestly say that is quite hideous. I had not seen that one before.

I'm surprised you hadn't seen that Laf. Reminds me of that lame cartoon with the Ducks hockey player super heros. I think that goalie was a character from it. Sad time in Ducks history. As lame as the new duds might be, they look so much more respectable now.

I'm surprised you hadn't seen that Laf. Reminds me of that lame cartoon with the Ducks hockey player super heros. I think that goalie was a character from it. Sad time in Ducks history. As lame as the new duds might be, they look so much more respectable now.

I have one of those, which I found on a clearance rack for $20 at Sports Authority in 1999. I did wear it a few times, not to a game, goodness, no! As bad as it is, the rarity makes is hold a place in my collection. Wow, someone remembers that hideous cartoon. :lol:

Yeah, yeah - you didn't even need to answer. :lol: Just like Wolf doesn't need to say Leafs, I could have guessed you'd say Colorado.

Am I that obvious? :)

I didn't really have much against the redwings until I went to a game in 1997 at America West Arena, where I had to encounter their legion of fans. I know that a good amount of them are from Michigan, but many just root for them because they win, sort of like the yankees' following.

That's very true, even in Detroit. Now that the Wings' future is totally uncertain, people are starting to wake up from the 12 year dream, and even though the arena is still technically sold out, there are TONS of empty seats. The trickle of people trying to sell off or give away their season tickets will increase as the season wears on, and the Wings don't definitively take first place in everything like they had in years past.

The sense of entitlement is starting to wear out, and it'll be driven home after the new year, when Yzerman's banner is raised, and Shanahan continues tearing up the league in goals (the "sad to see you go" will turn into "you abandoned us, you jerk!!" like it did for Fedorov).

When a player leaves of their own accord, our fans can turn on them pretty quickly (like Feds). If a player is sent away or leaves the team not of their own accord, they still have a contingent of loyal fans (Hull, Fischer, even the occasional Joseph and Legace jerseys show up every now and then; there were many Vernon jerseys in '97-98, including quite a few Vernon Sharks jerseys -- not often that the Conn Smythe winner gets traded that summer). I know I was tempting fate when I considered getting an Osgood St. Louis jersey (that's the Blues jersey with Osgood's name, not like Martin St. Louis' unknown cousin :lol:).

I think the Ducks only wore it for the one season, in 95-96. They had some BAD styles third jersey wise that year...

That was the same year the L.A. Kings had their terrible third (the off-kilter swooping thing with the Burger King in the corner).

When I went to the Kings-Coyotes game last week, I spotted someone on the other side of the arena wearing one of those King Vitamin jerseys. I should have bought one when they were available, just to have one. The Southern California teams were way out in left field when it came to the alternate jerseys of 10 years ago.

When I went to the Kings-Coyotes game last week, I spotted someone on the other side of the arena wearing one of those King Vitamin jerseys. I should have bought one when they were available, just to have one. The Southern California teams were way out in left field when it came to the alternate jerseys of 10 years ago.

This is the exact reasoning that means you ALL need to run out and buy yourselves a Dallas Stars Alternate Mooterus jersey today! Ten years from know those ugly suckers are going to be just as sought after as the Wild Wing, Burger King and Gorton's Fisherman.

They go from "Ugly and Unwanted" to "Out of Date and Discontinued" to "Vintage and Collectable". It's a pattern we've seen before.

Being a part-time Flames fan I SHOULD reply to this thread saying that I would never wear an Oilers jersey but I really like their alternate design. I dunno what the heck that thing is sposed to be...[anyone wanna explain it to a clueless aussie]...but its cool looking and I want one.

Anybody got a picture of these mysterious Kings jerseys? I'm trying to jog my memory but can't seem to find it in there.

Here you go:

launiforms9596.gif

Now imagine anyone taking Wayne Gretzky seriously while wearing THAT monstrosity.

(from www.nhluniforms.com)

Being a part-time Flames fan I SHOULD reply to this thread saying that I would never wear an Oilers jersey but I really like their alternate design. I dunno what the heck that thing is sposed to be...[anyone wanna explain it to a clueless aussie]...but its cool looking and I want one.

The gear is supposed to represent the working-class nature of Edmonton, the oil drop for "Oilers" and the 5 bolts represent their Stanley Cups. I only vaguely remembered this from when they first unveiled this design.

Here is how Todd MacFarlane described the logo on the third jersey after it was unveiled (MacFarlane designed the logo).

Sharp, blade-like shapes signify both the blades of a hockey skate and the fast-paced, exciting tradition of Edmonton Oilers Hockey.

The Five Rivets that form around the oil drop represent the five Stanley Cups won by the Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club since its entry into the NHL in 1979. There are also ten gear teeth on the primary mark; five on the large outer gear, and five on the inner gear. Each gear tooth represents each of the previous team captains in the Edmonton Oilers NHL History.

Inner and outer gear shapes signify strong and formidable force while reinforcing the concept of teamwork and industriousness. They provide the stability upon which the 'well-oiled machine' is built. Gears, like team members, need to be strong and work together in order to succeed. They operate in a dynamic environment and always need to be ready to perform when called upon.

The Oil Drop is derived from the original Edmonton Primary mark. It has been turned on its side to accommodate and reinforce the speed of the new primary mark. It has also been given a highlight to help define and distinguish it from the rest of the logo. The Oil Drop creates the transition between the tradition of the original Edmonton Oilers logo and the launch of the new one for the third jersey.

These elements provide the perfect mixture of the rich tradition and history of the team, its players, and its legacy blended together into a brand new modern hockey logo. Of course, there's always room on the logo to add extra rivets.

I really like that third Edmonton jersey too. That may be my next one...

This is the exact reasoning that means you ALL need to run out and buy yourselves a Dallas Stars Alternate Mooterus jersey today! Ten years from know those ugly suckers are going to be just as sought after as the Wild Wing, Burger King and Gorton's Fisherman.

They go from "Ugly and Unwanted" to "Out of Date and Discontinued" to "Vintage and Collectable". It's a pattern we've seen before.

Did anyone ever see the alternate Blues jersies that were supposed to come out that season? Now THOSE were interesting too!

I actually liked the fisherman logo, and everytime I look on Ebay those things are always getting a lot of attention and I don't think I have a chance at em.