Winter Classic thoughts

OK so there are 18 teams that could realistically host a Winter Classic

The Sabres, Blackhawks, Oilers, and Bruins have all hosted the game.

This leaves the following teams that could actually host it and places that it could be held.

Devils (New Meadowlands Stadium)

Penguins (Heinz Field or PNC Park)

Rangers (Yankee Stadium)

Flyers (Citizens Bank Park or Lincoln Financial Field)

Islanders (Yankee Stadium)

Senators (Frank Clair Stadium)

Canadiens - (Percival Molson Memorial Stadium)

Maple Leafs (Rogers Stadium with Roof Open)

Red Wings - (Comerica Park)

Blue Jackets - (Ohio Stadium)

Avalanche - (Invesco Field or Coors Field)

Flames - (McMahon Stadium)

Wild - (Target Field)

Canucks - (?)

Most of these would not have an issue as there are either baseball or football teams that play outdoors already, the only one that would really be a problem would be Vancouver as I am not sure they have an outdoor stadium large enough for the event. The baseball stadiums provide a better option as they don't have to worry about conflicts with the NFL scheduling in terms of the playoffs.

I know a lot of Stars fans have mentioned wanting to see a Stars at Wild Winter Classic.

Capitals-Rangers at Yankee Stadium next year. Make it happen...also because I want to get my season tickets to it. :D

I wouldnt mind the game move back out west to Coors Fiel with the Av's. I dont know who they would face or what jersey they would wear, "no nordiques jerseys allowed".

See, I don't agree with bringing in a team that has only been around for 10 or so years. How do you give them a retro jersey then? The Avs aren't gonna use Nords jerseys and may not even be able to if Quebec still has rights to everything. If it goes west, I want Dallas-Minnesota in Target Field. You could give the Stars the old 1992-93 North Stars jerseys and give the Wild the 1974-75 green and gold version. That would be AWESOME.

Also, no repeat teams for quite a while...so that would eliminate PIT, DET and PHI.

If Bettman has any brains in his head, he'll have the next one in New York involving the Rangers; no matter what it takes. It's the biggest US market and the team carries a huge following all over the country so people would tune in for it. I'd like Caps-Rangers or Leafs-Rangers or even Isles-Rangers...despite the fact that the rest of the country wouldn't really care about that one.

Down the road a Pens-Flyers game at Beaver stadium would be awesome. 110,000 people at a hockey game would be insane. Detroit-Columbus at either Ohio Stadium or Michigan Stadium would be sweet too.

I read something about using the Rideau Canal in Ottawa as a venue, I guess erecting temporary bleachers.

I think football stadiums are a better choice than baseball stadiums, just because at Wrigley and Fenway there was all that space from the rink to the outfield bleachers.

And for jerseys for newer teams they would probably just create something retro-ish, like the Wild have done with their home and alternates.

See, I don't agree with bringing in a team that has only been around for 10 or so years. How do you give them a retro jersey then? The Avs aren't gonna use Nords jerseys and may not even be able to if Quebec still has rights to everything. If it goes west, I want Dallas-Minnesota in Target Field. You could give the Stars the old 1992-93 North Stars jerseys and give the Wild the 1974-75 green and gold version. That would be AWESOME.

Also, no repeat teams for quite a while...so that would eliminate PIT, DET and PHI.

If Bettman has any brains in his head, he'll have the next one in New York involving the Rangers; no matter what it takes. It's the biggest US market and the team carries a huge following all over the country so people would tune in for it. I'd like Caps-Rangers or Leafs-Rangers or even Isles-Rangers...despite the fact that the rest of the country wouldn't really care about that one.

Couldn't agree with you more. When talking about "what ifs", there are great matchups but you have to think of it from the NHL standpoint.

You need a major market team and need to bring in a Canadian team. Rangers v Leafs is my bet for next year. Original 6 at Yankee Stadium.

Have the Leafs take the train down, like the old days and go the whole nine yards with the nostalgia.

I know it isn't really doable, but put the Stars in the new Cowboys Stadium in Dallas. Figure the place can hold 100k for a football game, don't think they would sell that many tickets, but it would be fun to see, of course they would have to figure something out about the ice conditions.

Also this would allow me to go to the game.

HA!! That's wishful thinking right there! Remember when the NHL held a pre-season game in Las Vegas between the Kings and Rangers in 1991 and how AWFUL the ice was? It would probably be on par with that. Jerry would probably have to put the A/C down to about 25 degrees for about 3 weeks just to hold the temperature!

I know it isn't really doable, but put the Stars in the new Cowboys Stadium in Dallas. Figure the place can hold 100k for a football game, don't think they would sell that many tickets, but it would be fun to see, of course they would have to figure something out about the ice conditions.

Also this would allow me to go to the game.

I don't know about other people here, but I would be VERY VERY upset if the Winter Classic is held in a location where it isn't cold and does NOT snow. It's called the "Winter" Classic for a reason and this also gets me upset why they have NHL teams in states where it doesn't snow - Florida, Arizona, southern California (except Los Angeles), and Texas. No offense to fans whose teams play in those states. To me, if they did that, the WC would lose ratings.

Also, I agree with some of the posts above stating the need for a Canadian team in the game. It's true and I think the next WC should have a team from Canada. I also believe a team like New York with a huge media market would benefit this and either Canadiens-Rangers or Leafs-Rangers is a distinct possibility.

A Stars-Wild WC in Minnesota is a nice idea too. But what would the Wild wear for their jerseys? The Dallas Stars could wear the vintage 1970s jersey because they were the Minnesota North Stars at one point. The Wild are just a new expansion team and don't have roots to the old North Stars. So that's kind of troubling when picking a vintage jersey to wear.

But I really wouldn't mind these for 2011:

Canadiens-Rangers @ Yankee Stadium or @ the New Giants Stadium

Leafs-Rangers @ Yankee Stadium or @ the New Giants Stadium

Islanders-Rangers @ Yankee Stadium

Canadiens or Leafs-Capitals @ Fed Ex Field

There are a lot of possibilities, but I guess we will see which city / team has proper conditions to host the game, as deemed by the NHL.

• 2 weeks later...

They can't use Yankee Stadium for the next few years because they are hosting an irrelevant bowl game there starting next college football season. There will be a shitstorm if they don't pick the Rangers for a NYC Metro game but the only real viable venues are smack in Isles and Devils territory. They probably wouldn't do a game within teams from the NYC Metro market because they would want more than 1 major market involved.

Until you start seeing Canadian teams on the NBC games, there isn't going to be a Canadian team in a Winter Classic game here. They were the reason the Caps got screwed of the game at Fenway this year because NBC wanted the Flyers, because you know, NBC would be the network that knows exactly what people want to see. Serves them right that the ratings went down this year.

• 1 month later...

I forget, but does anybody know when the NHL announces who will play in the 2011 Winter Classic? I would imagine after this season is over.

OK so there are 18 teams that could realistically host a Winter Classic

The Sabres, Blackhawks, Oilers, and Bruins have all hosted the game.

This leaves the following teams that could actually host it and places that it could be held.

Devils (New Meadowlands Stadium)

Penguins (Heinz Field or PNC Park)

Rangers (Yankee Stadium)

Flyers (Citizens Bank Park or Lincoln Financial Field)

Islanders (Yankee Stadium)

Senators (Frank Clair Stadium)

Canadiens - (Percival Molson Memorial Stadium)

Maple Leafs (Rogers Stadium with Roof Open)

Red Wings - (Comerica Park)

Blue Jackets - (Ohio Stadium)

Avalanche - (Invesco Field or Coors Field)

Flames - (McMahon Stadium)

Wild - (Target Field)

Canucks - (?)

Most of these would not have an issue as there are either baseball or football teams that play outdoors already, the only one that would really be a problem would be Vancouver as I am not sure they have an outdoor stadium large enough for the event. The baseball stadiums provide a better option as they don't have to worry about conflicts with the NFL scheduling in terms of the playoffs.

I know a lot of Stars fans have mentioned wanting to see a Stars at Wild Winter Classic.

For Canucks - (?)

It's looks like B.C. Place is going to get a retractable roof in the near future.

No conflicts for football as Grey Cup (CFL) is at end of November.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard on this yet. Why would you give a team a SECOND Winter Classic opportunity before giving other MAJOR franchises any shot at one? This league really is being run by absolute morons.

• 10 months later...

From a marketing standpoint there is only one place where it hasnt been done where it should be..That's in NY with the Rangers. If they cant use Yankee Stadium, there's Citi Field as well that can be used. As a local, ideally a Rangers-Islanders would be the scenario but that would only appeal to NY (plus the islanders suck big time at the moment)...so the opponent for them I dont know at this time (an original 6 team like toronto or boston would be ideal here and would probably be best for the overall appeal for the game).

From a marketing standpoint there is only one place where it hasnt been done where it should be..That's in NY with the Rangers. If they cant use Yankee Stadium, there's Citi Field as well that can be used. As a local, ideally a Rangers-Islanders would be the scenario but that would only appeal to NY (plus the islanders suck big time at the moment)...so the opponent for them I dont know at this time (an original 6 team like toronto or boston would be ideal here and would probably be best for the overall appeal for the game).

My idea was Citi Field (even though I prefer the Meadowlands, but you can have the ice set-up for a month and do public skating, etc.) and have Isles-Devils on 12/30 or New Year's Eve for the local fans and then the next day have rangers-Leafs.

Rangers should definitely be involved, but how can the NHL/NBC/ESPN justify putting the Devils or Isles in the premier game. Both teams are a joke right now with no immediate hope. I wouldn't be surprised that if NBC/Comcast has the rights that it will involve Comcast teams, except maybe the Rangers.

I said have a game between the Isles-Devils a day or two earlier so no Isles/Devils owners/staff/players/fans have hard feelings abount not playing outdoors when the rink is in their backyards and that the NHL gets more revenue from tickets/jerseys. The game could be on NHL Network/Vs. Nowhere did I say either should be involved in the premier game on New Year's Day.

How many players smaked Mario in the butt?!?? and why!! lol

I sware the alumini on the caps had a line up forming behind him.

I stopped taking you seriously when you suggested there should be a Canadian team in the Winter Classic. :lol:

I thought they have one comming in Feb with the Habs and Flames or is that just a Tim Horton's only thing?

I stopped taking you seriously when you suggested there should be a Canadian team in the Winter Classic. :lol:

Haha. NBC will never do it. Flyers-rangers will probably be the game :angry:

My idea was Citi Field (even though I prefer the Meadowlands, but you can have the ice set-up for a month and do public skating, etc.) and have Isles-Devils on 12/30 or New Year's Eve for the local fans and then the next day have rangers-Leafs.

That's so funny because its not like the football stadium is used all 16 weeks for 2 football teams, and could be a logistical nightmare! But yeah let's take away a week and use it for public skating!!!

EDIT: Forgot there are 17 weeks in the season :doh: BUT The winter classic falls after the bye weeks, so yeah. My point still stands.

Too harsh?