NHL Team Customizers

What are your guy's thoughts on getting a early 90's CCM Blackhawks jersey done at either Triple Threat Sports or City Sports Lettering? I know CSL is the official Hawks customizer but, I've also heard good things about TTS...

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on who did their stuff during that era, which i'm not sure of

I talk to both places and they cost exactly the same and both said no problem with matching vintage number/lettering.. TTS said they could provided either the 75th NHL anniversary patch or a 92 Stanley Cup patch for the right front shoulder depending on if I want a regular season look or Stanley Cup look.. CSL said I would have to provide either of those patches as they don't have them available...

• 2 weeks later...

Question for friends in the GTA region: Who would you recommend as a local customizer?

I have a bunch of blank jerseys to customize and I don't want to send them to EPS as it's quite expensive. What are some of good options in town?

I only know of:

• Sports Lettering Company
  • Silver Crystal Sports

Is there anyone else?

Thanks!

If your not picky about 100% accuracy then both those places are very good and both have the NHL/NHLPA license. I had a bunch of stuff done at Major League Lettering back in the day but haven't been in contact with them for a few years and couldn't tell you if they are still open or not. They were in Vaughan right around the corner from Frozen pond.

Did you like the work they did at Major League lettering?

Yes, their work was good. I honestly only had them do Leafs jerseys and they were fine with those but other members had them do different stuff and were happy. Again, if your not concerned with 100% accuracy they can be a good option. Also, they didn't have much in the way of nameplates back then so you might have to provide your own. Not sure if that's changed since I last had them do work for me.

Has anyone ordered a kit from Bobcat Athletic before? What did they charge? I know to send it in and have it stitched is $60.

Has anyone ordered a kit from Bobcat Athletic before? What did they charge? I know to send it in and have it stitched is $60.

EPS charges the exact same thing for just a kit, I wouldn't be surprised if bobcat did as well.

EPS charges the exact same thing for just a kit, I wouldn't be surprised if bobcat did as well.

Other places I've been to before don't do that, but I know some do.

Yeah sorry I couldn't answer your actual question, never used bobcat.

I just know that it's frustrating that if I want to do my own work it still costs me the same amount. Hopefully bobcat doesn't do that.

Bobcat does do kits alone. I don't know what they would charge you because I don't order them by mail, I just deal with Bob personally. In the few instances I ordered just kits, he charged me much less for the kit alone, so I doubt they would charge the full customization price for just the kit.

I've read through most of the thread and the NYR comments seem to be a bit old. Where would you send a blue Liberty jersey for customization?

A reddit thread mentioned the following

Check out the ice jerseys forums. Lots of Rangers fans who could probably tell you the best place as Rangers jerseys can be confusing (arched vs radial letters or something). https://www.reddit.com/r/hockeyjerseys/comments/3edupb/just_bought_a_rangers_lady_liberty_and_want_to/

Does anyone know who has been customizing Montreal jerseys since the late 90s? Do they do them in house? I haven't been able to find anyone who can exactly match some of their numbers, I've gotten close enough from other customizers but am always looking for better.

Bobcat does do kits alone. I don't know what they would charge you because I don't order them by mail, I just deal with Bob personally. In the few instances I ordered just kits, he charged me much less for the kit alone, so I doubt they would charge the full customization price for just the kit.

FYI, I don't know if I got a different answer because I'm trying to order kits by mail, but Bob told me they don't do kits as it's a violation of NHL/NHLPA regulations.

Interesting. I know various members here who ordered kits by mail, including someone who just got one a couple of months ago. Come to think of it though, all of them were either in Canada or Europe- not sure if that makes a difference.

I had an interaction with Josh at EPS a month ago or so and he mentioned they were considering not selling kits anymore, but I got the impression it was more of an EPS policy thing than a regulation change. Huh.

I have to say if that is indeed a regulation change then that kinda bugs me.

Edited by thecapn

Here's a question I've been wondering about: what is the range of prices per jersey between the various teams' customizers? Right now I send all of my jerseys to EPS since they're just replicas so I'm not terribly concerned about 100% accuracy but when I can finally make the move up to collecting authentics, I'm going to send the jerseys to the proper companies for customization. What kind of costs would I be looking at? I know EPS ranges from $60-$80 depending on the jersey. Is that average compared to other customizers?

Here's a question I've been wondering about: what is the range of prices per jersey between the various teams' customizers? Right now I send all of my jerseys to EPS since they're just replicas so I'm not terribly concerned about 100% accuracy but when I can finally make the move up to collecting authentics, I'm going to send the jerseys to the proper companies for customization. What kind of costs would I be looking at? I know EPS ranges from $60-$80 depending on the jersey. Is that average compared to other customizers?

Yea, that's typically average, because they don't use different numbers for authentic jerseys.

Some places charge by number of colors (2-color, 3-color numbers, etc.) and some are just flat rate.

I've had experiences with Blake's Sports Lettering (Dallas) where it was only $45 (1-color numbers though) and then Philly Express (have to go through the SkateZone) is typically $60.

There are some that are more expensive (Edmonton and Boston come to mind) that are actually $100+, so it does vary a bit sometimes.

Boston being more expensive doesn't surprise me. I imagine doing three-color names, whether they're kiss-cut or layered, isn't particularly easy.

Pro Knitwear for the Penguins is $95

I just had them do a 2014 Team USA Olympic jersey as Kessel for me

I had an interaction with Josh at EPS a month ago or so and he mentioned they were considering not selling kits anymore, but I got the impression it was more of an EPS policy thing than a regulation change. Huh.

I have to say if that is indeed a regulation change then that kinda bugs me.

Josh told me they don't like selling kits because it's basically making things easier for their competition. Makes sense, they want you to pay for the sewing too.

But they charge the same for kits and do less work. How is that a bad thing for them?

^ That's what I thought. Don't they charge only about $5 less for the kit only? Saves them a lot of work and they still make about the same amount.

On the flip side, I just got back some stitch jobs from them (I provided the kits), and they charged me just $5 less for each job than if I had ordered both the kit and stitching. I ended up paying almost double for the kits and stitching together, but I had to do it that way because the kit maker didn't have the right nameplate material, and I didn't like the way EPS cut the letters.

• TMLFAN unpinned and locked this topic