That Ovechkin/Briere Incident?

Finny

Well did any of you guys see the hit on Briere?

I like Ovechkin for his talent but I do know he has a tendency to be very cocky and arrogant on ice. But I think after he hit him he knew he was in trouble. He just stopped skating. Funny to see the whole Capitals organization trying to protect their star, wasn't Hanlon out there fighting Gaustad? :) j/k

Well did any of you guys see the hit on Briere?

I like Ovechkin for his talent but I do know he has a tendency to be very cocky and arrogant on ice. But I think after he hit him he knew he was in trouble. He just stopped skating. Funny to see the whole Capitals organization trying to protect their star, wasn't Hanlon out there fighting Gaustad? :) j/k

I don't think the hit was as bad as it looked. Ovechkin held back and you could tell because he's a beastly hitter. You know I'm a Sabres fan and I still say Danny's partially responsible. Ovie was after him the whole way up the ice and Danny has to have known at least that (if not Ovechkin's proximity to him during the change). He shouldn't have just dumped it and gone off without looking out for himself at all. The hit was late, but until Briere turns, it's not from behind. Ovechkin should have seen it an not gone for the hit, but I don't place all the blame on him. One way or the other now though, I think we Sabres fans should just thank Ovechkin. He knocked Danny into high gear because Briere had a hat trick tonight.

I guess he didn't come that close to ending Danny's career afterall...

I haven't seen the video footage but after reading all the stuff I have read, I don't think Ovechkin tried to injure Briere.

Does anyone have a link to the video footage so I can see it for myself?

Here are plenty of links to see and hear about it.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...p;search=Search

JeffB

Looks to me like before Briere dumped the puck, Ovechkin committed himself to the hit. After the dump, Ovie had the time to stop, but he kept going and as soon as he hit Briere and regained his footing, he stopped and looked at the sky like he knew he just made a mistake, just before Gaustad jumped on him.

As far as the hit itself, had it not been at the open door, I might have called it boarding or roughing, but it could have likewise gone uncalled had Briere not hit the ice.

Yeah. It's hard to take into account when watching that Ovie has 5 inches and 40 pounds on Briere. I think he was committed to the hit before hand as well, but there wasn't the usual follow through for an Ovechkin hit, which on it's own says he laid off a bit, and if it had been another 6' 200lb guy, he probably wouldn't have gone down. I actually got angry at Briere because in seperate interviews he said

"I had dumped the puck and skated off to the bench and about 3-4 seconds after I turned around I got hit from behind. I wasn't ready for it."

What kind of crap is that? I'm a Sabres fan and love having the guy on my team, but it's not exactly like he skated to the bench and in the slow-mo replay barely more than 2 seconds elapse between him dumping the puck and getting hit. He's making it sound a lot worse than it is. On the other hand, Ovechkin, in his broken english said:

"I didn't want to injure. I don't want to injure because we are both players... hockey players... and I know he need to play hockey. It was a bad... my hit was not clean, uh... but I was shocked to get thrown out, but I agree with the ref so it's ok."

Considering Briere came back on the next play, Ovechkin was tossed and fined $1100, Briere had a hat-trick the following night, and what each of them have said on the incident, I don't even care that Ovechkin did it anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparantly Briere didn't like the hit all that much. Here is something that was caught in the next Sabres/Caps game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo3DXqPnqv4

Lost a bit of respect for Briere because of this.

• 1 month later...