USA Hockey 1960 throwback jersey

akteon

I'm basing it on hannuvirta's first hand account of seeing one in a store - it was navy and had the patch without AHAUS.

From what hannuvirta's is describing, I believe what he saw. I thought the pictures of the 2010 replica third looked off to me and when footballfanatics had both jerseys in stock with different sku's I was worried there was a difference. So I ordered what looked like the 2008 version. I bought it at the time because I want it more like the 2008 IIHF World Championship version. I just assumed the jersey that USA was going to wear on Sunday would be Navy like the replica's. Nike is really botching their Olympic jerseys. First they released customized jerseys missing shoulder numbers, now this.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went back and bought one for giggles, can always return it right.

2371283290103761653S425x425Q85.jpg

2103909020100337552S600x600Q85.jpg

Hmm, looks kind of hard to tell if the 2010 version has a darker blue than the 2008

So have we decided if the 2008 World Championship jersey is closer to the one worn last Sunday? Or is the Olympic replica correct, minus the patch. If the former, where can 2008 IIHF WC jerseys be had?

My understanding so far (please let me know if I'm wrong here) is that the 2008 and 2010 Nike replica versions are pretty much the same with the difference being the color of the blue (royal/2008, navy/2010). Both appear to have the Swift cut. Both have the same USA patch (neither have AHAUS on the patch). Both don't have the arm stripes go all the way around (side effect of the Swift cut I assume). Someone mentioned the shoulder bar on the 2008 was angled down from the tie-neck, but I couldn't tell if that was just the picture and a result of the Swift cut.

Right now I'm really disappointed. I don't think Nike will make an authentic version of this at this point. According to ordering page from USA Hockey, the jersey will only be worn that one game - so why would Nike waste their time producing an authentic of the jersey at this point? The 2008 version is slightly close to what was worn on the ice, simply by having royal instead of navy - but it's still the wrong cut with the wrong patch.

sorry my pic isn't as bright as Jeff's, but I will reiterate that what I bought is a true navy blue, nowhere near

the royal blue they wore the other night. It probably matches the regular navy USA jersey.

I called RCS and spoke with someone who said that the 2008 version they

have in stock is "more of a royal, not navy". I bit the bullet and ordered one with Miller 39.

I asked them about nameplate material and they said they did not have swift material, instead they

use the reverse side of airknit and it matches fairly well. Also, this 2008 version would not

have the IIHF patch on the back hem. We'll see what I get in a few weeks.

Would anyone be up to try making this jersey DIY style?

I was looking around for blank jerseys and found this: (Check out V219)

k1vline2.gif

I have seen DIY's to add gromets and make a lace-up collar and already have the patch about 80% done in terms of a CAD file for it. I was working on that anyway in case I ended up purchasing one of these down the road and wanted to switch out the incorrect patch. Does anyone have a way to precision cut twill, and maybe have the know-how to help people with sewing stuff onto the jersey?

I think this would be a fun project as its a bit more complicated and the next logical step to jersey creation once I finish my 1950 US World Cup US soccer jersey.

On another note, if people just wanted to create a straight replica of the blue 1960 jersey which can be seen here: http://www.forgottenmiracle.com/

The Rangers' old blue with lace up collar matches really well. Then it's just a matter of adding the USA which is just two layer twill, and the patch.

Anyone willing to help out with some twill cutting expertise?

Would anyone be up to try making this jersey DIY style?

I was looking around for blank jerseys and found this: (Check out V219)

k1vline2.gif

I have seen DIY's to add gromets and make a lace-up collar and already have the patch about 80% done in terms of a CAD file for it. I was working on that anyway in case I ended up purchasing one of these down the road and wanted to switch out the incorrect patch. Does anyone have a way to precision cut twill, and maybe have the know-how to help people with sewing stuff onto the jersey?

I think this would be a fun project as its a bit more complicated and the next logical step to jersey creation once I finish my 1950 US World Cup US soccer jersey.

That is an awesome idea. I really like to make the blue versions they wore in the pictures on the forgotten miracle homepage. I wonder how hard it would be to get some reproduction patches of the shield made?

That is an awesome idea. I really like to make the blue versions they wore in the pictures on the forgotten miracle homepage. I wonder how hard it would be to get some reproduction patches of the shield made?

It shouldn't be too hard, no harder than getting the letters cut. I currently have a CAD file I made from the Ryan Miller pic on NBCOlympics.com game photos from the US/Can game.

I was hoping a member here might have a connection to do something like this. I am game for sewing on my own, but I'd feel way more comfortable if the pieces could be laser cut to prevent fraying and allow us to just heatseal/iron the patch together.

k1vline2.gif

The stripes look wrong - no white between the red and blue and they seem a little low on the arm. Also the shoulder bar doesn't cut off at the arms like the ones they wore in the game.

Granted, there are places can could probably make you one that was fairly exact, just depends on if they can do singles or if you're looking at a minimum order of a dozen or so.

Well we could get 20 guys and each guy gets a player from that 1960 team? That would be bulk right :)

Random Company worried about copyright stuff: "So, your men's league team wants to wear the 1960 USA jersey and has name/number requests that happen to coincide with the 1960 roster?"

Me: "Yes, we are all descendants of the team."

And though, this template might be a little off, if we were able to hammer out a solution to all the twill cutting, then I'd definitely spend hours scouring the internet to find the perfect match, or at least the best one that we could all agree is closest.

Well we could get 20 guys and each guy gets a player from that 1960 team? That would be bulk right :)

Count me in if this is going to happen. From looking at the picture, I wonder if the laces were really blue. It looks like they colored a black and white photo. I wonder of the Hockey Hall of Fame has an example of this blue jersey?

EDIT: in THN's Greatest Hockey jerseys special, They have a pic of the white 1960 jersey. On the shield, it has the Olympic rings and not AHAUS.

So doing a bit more research. The only issue with the blue Rangers jersey that I can tell is the bottom stripes are all the way at the bottom, technically there should be about another 2-3 inches or so of blue jersey below the stripes. If this bothers people, I wonder how much it would cost to have a local tailor chop out some blue above, re-sew the stripes and then add that blue to the bottom, making it more accurate. Another thing is maybe, but I am not 100% sure, is that the sleeve stripes look a bit low on the arm.

I think I decided that I want a blue one since, from the video, they clinched Gold in the blue shirts. If anyone finds good templates post some images up so we can compare. Don't post the site you got it from since I don't want to step on IJ's toes with other jersey manufacturers' stuff.

So far the best I have found is the old Rangers' blue jersey but has the issues I stated above:

(for Reference borrowed from IJ)

Rangers_Dark.gif

You mean something like this?

2207787200100337552S425x425Q85.jpg 2523324030100337552S425x425Q85.jpg

2635807690100337552S425x425Q85.jpg

Seems doable... :D

Haha, should have known. How did you end up doing the patch and twill cutting?

Also, is this the old Rangers' blue jersey you started with? Have you ever thought of fixing up the bottom stripes? I truly don't think that it would bother me, but its definitely something to look into; and, will we be seeing this jersey on Saturday's post?

That is awesome. It would be a great project to produce a batch run of this jersey. Could you help with the specs for the USA lettering and the patch?

I just bought it off ebay, so I have no insights into how and were they got that shield patch made. There's a twill patch on the back which is obviously covering up a CCM logo. They started out with a blank Rangers jersey as suggested, that much I'm sure.

http://www.footballfanatics.com/Olympics_USA_Hockey_Jerseys/Nike_2010_Winter_Olympics_Team_USA_White_Tackle_Twill_Hockey_Jersey

Football fanatic has small jerseys in stock. What is interesting is the pics, they clearly show pictures of the IIHF on the back hem and the blue is navy and not royal.

Okay first of all it seems like there are alot of Ranger fans here so for the record I can't stand the Rangers I live on Long Island. Lets go Islanders!

Okay now that, that is out of the way lol! I love this USA jersey and it should have been the main jersey for the Olympics. I ordered one off of USA Hockey but all they had was small. I own a small Islander Reebok Edge jersey so I figured it would be about the same. 5'7 180ish. Just got this jersey and the Nike is quite a bit smaller. I do fit in it but I wouldn't mind a little longer material and just a tad bit more room in my gut lol. Problem now is I don't think I can exchange it at all which sucks royaly. Does anyone know if I can still find it in a Medium somewhere?

They seem to have a few of these on ebay, if any of you are still looking for one. I just bought a Large Kane. Hopefully, everything is genuine once it arrives.

Most of the Kane Olympics jerseys I've seen on eBay are fakes and pretty bad ones at that.

Do you have a link to the auction you won?