Stripping a Reebok Edge Jersey

MountainKing

I've done some searching and found minimal information, and perhaps that's because nobody has done it but I figure I'd approach the topic one more time. I'm generally not a fan of getting current players names on jerseys, however with the current Blackhawks team and some pretty big good long term contracts I've decided I probably should get a couple of current guys done up. I've got 3 jerseys done with my name and I'm looking to strip 2 of them:

th_100_0946.jpgth_100_0949.jpgth_100_0944.jpg

One is an Edge, one if a replica and one is the 6100 cut...perferably I'd like to do the Winter Classic & the Edge jersey. I'm worried about the Edge jersey & the material, how well does it do on stripping? I've never actually stripped a hockey jersey before, but I have done a ton of baseball jerseys with minimal issues, but the Edge material just seems like it'd fall apart if you apply any kind of force to it. Has anybody done this with any success...beyond moving really slow is there anything else I should keep in mind or are these jerseys like ultrafil where I should not bother....

Just for reference, Triple Threat did the customizing on these...they do a good job on putting the numbers on pretty clean, they've always been the easiset numbers to strip on the baseball side of things.

I have stripped two. One with single layer numbers and the other with 3. Both jerseys were the first i had attempted to strip. The single layer came out pretty good. The fabric on the arm is the most difficult part. On the whole jersey you have to make sure all the threads are cut before attempting to pull the lettering off. I would attempt doing this one again my self. As far as the 3 layer. you better have a lot of patience. I would never attempt that again.

I have stripped two. One with single layer numbers and the other with 3. Both jerseys were the first i had attempted to strip. The single layer came out pretty good. The fabric on the arm is the most difficult part. On the whole jersey you have to make sure all the threads are cut before attempting to pull the lettering off. I would attempt doing this one again my self. As far as the 3 layer. you better have a lot of patience. I would never attempt that again.

The Winter classic is just the 550 replica so that should be fairly easy..I hope.

The Edge is 2 layer but TTS only sews one layer to the jersey, keeps things real clean. When you stripped did you find the number left an outline behind with the Edge material and was it easily ironed out? That's my biggest concern with the 7 since I would most likely turn this one into a Toews because of the C already on the front.

It depends. The Coyote single layer came off and looks brand new. The Avalanche jersey still has a bit of an outline and this is after goo-goning the numbers and ironing.

Here is the way I strip jerseys and have never had a problem.

1. Use a seam ripper to remove all the threads off the letters/numbers. If only the bottom layer is stiched to the jersey then just remove the stitching from that layer etc. Rip the stitches from the top of the twill side not the jersey side and be careful not to damage the jersey material with the seam ripper.

2. Once that's done get yourself some goof-off adhesive remove. Turn the jersey inside out and apply the goof-off to the stuff you want to remove. Let it sit for a few minutes. Goof-off stinks to high hell so if you use it do so in a well ventilated area and leave the jersey outside if possible once done to air out.

3. Start to peel off the letters/numbers slowly. If they are still sticking to the jersey then use more goof-off, you don't want to rip the numbers/letters off if they're still stuck because you can damage the jersey and the new numbers you put on may not cover up the damage. Once you have everything off if there is still some glue residue hit it with more goof-off and use a soft brush to remove it. Don't scrub too hard because again you can damage the jersey material.

4. If everything is off and there are no noticable marks/stains/outlines etc. wash the jersey once the smell from the goof-off goes away. If the old stuff left dye outlines or stuff the goof-off couldn't remove then take the jersey to the dry cleaners and let them remove the rest. You'll be surprised what they can get out.

One word of caution do not touch the jersey with an iron until all stains/outlines/glue residue is removed. If you touch the jersey with an iron while that stuff is still on it you will only set them in and make it a lot harder to remove.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Use a seam ripper to remove all the threads off the letters/numbers. If only the bottom layer is stiched to the jersey then just remove the stitching from that layer etc. Rip the stitches from the top of the twill side not the jersey side and be careful not to damage the jersey material with the seam ripper.

2. Once that's done get yourself some goof-off adhesive remove. Turn the jersey inside out and apply the goof-off to the stuff you want to remove. Let it sit for a few minutes. Goof-off stinks to high hell so if you use it do so in a well ventilated area and leave the jersey outside if possible once done to air out.

3. Start to peel off the letters/numbers slowly. If they are still sticking to the jersey then use more goof-off, you don't want to rip the numbers/letters off if they're still stuck because you can damage the jersey and the new numbers you put on may not cover up the damage. Once you have everything off if there is still some glue residue hit it with more goof-off and use a soft brush to remove it. Don't scrub too hard because again you can damage the jersey material.

4. If everything is off and there are no noticable marks/stains/outlines etc. wash the jersey once the smell from the goof-off goes away. If the old stuff left dye outlines or stuff the goof-off couldn't remove then take the jersey to the dry cleaners and let them remove the rest. You'll be surprised what they can get out.

One word of caution do not touch the jersey with an iron until all stains/outlines/glue residue is removed. If you touch the jersey with an iron while that stuff is still on it you will only set them in and make it a lot harder to remove.

I stripped the Edge jersey yesterday, the back numbers came off fine with no residue left over...I cut the seams on the arm and ripped off one of the 7's, it was a little difficult and it left behind a little bit of glue which was fairly easy to get out. For the other numbers I tried your method of putting on goff off before taking the numbers off, I'm sure you have had success but this process made a mess out of my jersey...after a few minutes the numbers fell right off but all the glue residue was left behind on the jersey. As of this moment I'm still not able to get any of it off.

So I went and stripped my edge Hawks jersey, it went great until I got to the arms, the adhesive stuck and stuck in a bad way. I've tried Goof Off and taken the thing to several cleaners but this is the best it's gotten

100_1119.jpg

100_1118.jpg

Are there any other ideas anybody has or is this just an expensive mistake?

Anybody possibly need any nameplats for black Edge jerseys?

So I went and stripped my edge Hawks jersey, it went great until I got to the arms, the adhesive stuck and stuck in a bad way. I've tried Goof Off and taken the thing to several cleaners but this is the best it's gotten

100_1119.jpg

100_1118.jpg

Are there any other ideas anybody has or is this just an expensive mistake?

Anybody possibly need any nameplats for black Edge jerseys?

I think your last option is acetone...

There is another chemical that Stahls referred me to a few years back but that one is way too strong and it will bleach the colour pretty bad...

Acetone failed as well...funny enough the one thing that did the best job was what everybody suggested against...the iron. I figure I had nothing to loose so I put a shirt over the glue and ironed it, about 80% of it stuck to the shirt and came off so I may be able to salvage it yet.

I think it may be good enough to turn into a Toews since I'm not stripping the C, it's still a little wet cause I just washed it...i used a lot of steam when I took the iron to it.

100_1121.jpg

100_1122.jpg

• 2 months later...

So does the first step in your process just apply to authentic jerseys since the names / numbers would be sewn on? Do the authentics require goof off to remove anything? I've never stripped a jersey and was considering to try it.

So does the first step in your process just apply to authentic jerseys since the names / numbers would be sewn on? Do the authentics require goof off to remove anything? I've never stripped a jersey and was considering to try it.

If the numbers/letters have been glued down then you need an adhesive remover to get them off. Since I've posted this I've learned not to apply goof off directly onto jerseys (especially edge jerseys because they will stain). I'm really not an expert so there are probably other people that can give you better advise.

If the numbers/letters have been glued down then you need an adhesive remover to get them off. Since I've posted this I've learned not to apply goof off directly onto jerseys (especially edge jerseys because they will stain). I'm really not an expert so there are probably other people that can give you better advise.

What are the best types of adhesive removers that we can use for jerseys and their advantages/disadvantages? So far I've heard of Goof Off, Acetone, and Goo Gone.

What are the best types of adhesive removers that we can use for jerseys and their advantages/disadvantages? So far I've heard of Goof Off, Acetone, and Goo Gone.

goof off is the best I've used but you have to be super careful with it. Some things I've learned the hard way using it are;

• never, ever, pour it directly onto the jersey. Always put some on a white rag or old white t-shirt and then rub out the stain you are trying to remove.
  • always put a rag or something inside the jersey directly under the stain you are removing so the goof-off doesn't get into the crest or other parts of the jersey and cause them to bleed.
  • always use it in a well ventilated area because the stuff smells terrible.

• 4 months later...

just stripped off a letter on the front of an edge jersey with a pair of tweezers and some nose hair clippers :) aside from being somewhat time consuming, it came off fine. im guessing it was easy because the jersey was only recently customized and was never washed

there's no actual glue stuck to the jersey, however, there is a very faint outline mark where the A was.

should i just try washing or do the ironing thing?

any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

I use a seam ripper and methylene chloride solvent to remove the adhesive. It evaporates fast and it is what the pros use. It's kind of like rubber cement thinner but stronger and more expensive.

if anyone cares, i ironed over the outline with towels above and below and it lightened it considerably to the point where it's barely visible now.

im assuming it will be gone completely after i toss it in the wash

Hey guys. This is my first post here and this is the topic that led me to these boards. I've recently come to the conclusion that I've got too many jerseys and want to narrow my collection down to a choice few, plus a go-to jersey for Rangers games. The problem is, if I'm going to do that, I want my one go-to jersey to be an authentic, but I also want it to be Ryan Callahan. Unfortunately, I currently have a Cally replica and a Gaborik authentic. I've thrown the Gabby up on ebay and craigslist, but it's virtually brand new (picked it up at the end of the season last year, wore it to one game, displayed it in my apartment) and I don't want to let it go for too much less than I paid for it 6 months ago, so I haven't had much luck. I've started to think about the potential of stripping the Gaborik jersey, but I'm very afraid of damaging the jersey. I've inspected the stitching and I'm pretty sure that it's also glued down. I've read through the thread and seen all the tips that have been provided so far but I'm still hesitant to go ahead with it because if I damage the jersey I'll be worse off than I started. What do you guys think? Is it a difficult task or does it just require patience? The nameplate seems like it should be the easiest (logically) but looks difficult as the stitching looks pretty tight and kind of embedded in the jersey material. Any more advice or techniques you guys have learned since this thread was started?

If I don't end up stripping the jersey I may throw it in the trading post section someday. Do you guys have a lot of success trading and selling your stuff in there? It seems like since this is a place for jersey enthusiasts you might find people more willing to pay for authentics and understanding the difference than you do on places like craigslist.

If I where you, I would just send it out and have it stripped by the pro's. Then just have them put your favorite player back on. One less thing for you to worry about.

Well, if you bought it pre-customized, odds are that it won't come off clean. They usually seal that stuff up pretty hard before stitching it on. If the numbers DO come off, there might be some serious scarring underneath. I'd say try to sell it rather than risk ruining it.

If I where you, I would just send it out and have it stripped by the pro's. Then just have them put your favorite player back on. One less thing for you to worry about.

Who reliably strips AND customizes that I could send it out to? I've had jerseys customized from a few sites including IJ but I don't know who strips and customizes (I didn't even know whether or not anybody did stripping).

Well, if you bought it pre-customized, odds are that it won't come off clean. They usually seal that stuff up pretty hard before stitching it on. If the numbers DO come off, there might be some serious scarring underneath. I'd say try to sell it rather than risk ruining it.

I've been trying to just sell it, but unfortunately at over $350 barely 6 months ago and with virtually zero wear and tear or signs of age/use, I wouldn't really want to let it go for less than probably $250 or so and I haven't found anybody willing to shell that out.