How to spot a fake jersey!

The following article was written by Tyler of NHL Digest. The article was prepared using information provided by IceJerseys.com, as well as information from the IceJerseys BB (with a big shout out to our very own tb426, and his great forum article found here: http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?sho...800&hl=fake.. The original article can be found on NHL Digest here.

As embarrassing as it is, over the past while several friends (and myself), have been duped into buying knock-off RBK Edge NHL jerseys. Sometimes these jerseys can be easy to spot, but there are several companies that are making very good quality knock-off jerseys (typically manufactured in China or Korea). After being bamboozled myself, I thought I’d go to some professionals for some tips and then write about it so you don’t make the same mistake that I did.

I asked my friends on twitter (@icejerseys) from IceJerseys.com to help out in identifying some key things to look for when buying jerseys. Hopefully, this will ensure that you don’t get caught with a knock-off like I did!

5 Things To Look For First:

1. Does the web site look professional? When it comes to online shopping, your first impressions are important. If the site doesn’t look professionally designed, has poorly written content, or has a checkout process that is less than simple…be cautious.

2. Does the site offer multiple methods to contact the company?A reputable website will always provide a full physical address on its contact page, as well as Telephone (toll-free is even better), and often live chat. In addition, they also may offer product reviews and site performance ratings to provide feedback from past satisfied customers. If all the site provides is a simple contact form or an email address, then it is likely that they don’t want you to find them too easily – for a reason!

3. What types of shipping methods are used? If they don’t use one of the major North American courier companies such as UPS, FedEx, Purolator or US or Canada Post, then it is likely that your package is coming from very far away – if it comes at all.

4. Where is the company based? If you do find a physical address (or other evidence) that the company is based offshore (especially Asia), then it is pretty much a sure bet that the jersey you are getting is a knock-off. All Reebok Authentic jerseys are manufactured in Canada, so there is no reason that a company in China would be selling Canadian-made authentic jerseys!

5. Is the price too good to be true?If the listed price is significantly below the typical retail price, that should be an obvious warning flag. An Authentic Edge Jersey with real pro customization like will usually go for $350-$400USD, so if you see a seller advertising the same product for anywhere from $75 to $200USD, you can be sure you aren’t getting the real McCoy!

Inspecting The Jersey for Authenticity

The following are some key things about the jersey’s construction to look for. As mentioned, it’s been some time since the introduction of the RBK Edge jersey, and many fakes are now very close to being identical to the authentic so be very thorough in your investigation!

1. The very first thing to note is the coloring of the jersey. Many knock-offs are good with the main colors of Black and White. However, you may be able to notice marked differences in Blues and Reds upon comparison to authentic jerseys.

2. Check the logos and numbers for the correct detail. Again, the knock-offs are getting better at the detailing, but some NHL team logos have detail that can be hard to duplicate. Pay particular attention to the sizing and spacing of the letters and numbers on the jerseys. The letter and spacing are likely to be larger or smaller than the authentic version.

3. Patches and stitching are also very important to compare. Compare the location of the stitching around the armpits and back of the neck to make sure the construction is authentic. In addition, the NHL and RBK trademarks on authentic jerseys are actually patches and not embroidery. This is one good comparison to make when shopping for a jersey on E-bay. You can see this clearly from the image posted below:

NHL-Jersey-Neck-Patch.gif

(h/t User TB426- IceJerseys forum)

If you want to see more great photographic examples of Counterfeit vs. Real RBK Edge jerseys and more things to look for, please read the IceJerseys forum thread below.

This forum thread is packed with great examples of what to look for on even the most authentic looking counterfeits!

http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?sho...00&hl=fakes

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all,

Just over a month ago I was discussing a Reebok Premier Replica I purchased with a friend/co-worker. At this point he told me he had a guy who could get Authentic On Ice "Real Deal" Jerseys for incredibly cheap $60.00usc. So of course I bit..... but I knew deep down I would most likely be getting a fake. I had spoken to several other co-workers who bought jerseys through him and they all believed what they received to be the "Real Deal". Well it finally came in and my gut instinct was right..... so here are some pics of what I got....... I'm posting these for reference purposes for anyone who wants a little more knowledge of what to look for in a fake:

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

Good post skates. Thanks for the images.

I've noticed that aside from the fight strap, the letters/numbers tell you everything you need to know. They don't even look close and are generally all puffy looking. Typically the crest looks that way as well on a fake, but that one looks pretty decent.

The dead give-away is always the fight strap, though. How weak.

• 1 month later...

Fakes are not equal quality from one supplier to the other. Somme are really bad (your example) and some I got are good quality. You have to choose the right supplier.

Fakes are not equal quality from one supplier to the other. Somme are really bad (your example) and some I got are good quality. You have to choose the right supplier.

wow...

How about NOT buying fakes at all from ANY supplier!

A good fake is still a fake!

don't be a part of the problem.

Fakes use sub-par materials and therefore will never match the quality of the authentic jerseys. The level of detail on fakes is horrible because there are no standards in the shops that produce them. The makers of fakes will cut every corner they can to make more money.

You're getting a mega-facepalm bro. Not cool

• 5 weeks later...

wow...

How about NOT buying fakes at all from ANY supplier!

A good fake is still a fake!

don't be a part of the problem.

Well said.

Has anyone ever contacted ebay to try and maybe make an 'authentic' or 'original' category, or to better organize how jerseys are searched? Possibly adding a specific category where users can only post original jerseys. I realize that everyone will still post their fake jerseys as authentics, but maybe placing more emphasis on seperating jerseys by timelines would be helpfull, like they do for comics -

Modern Age (1992-Now)

Bronze Age (1970-83)

Silver Age (1956-69)

Copper Age (1984-1991)

It would at least seperate the older knockoffs that are so much easier to tell apart, than the newer ones...

...just a thought.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, I found a Roy cup jersey that looks real, but I think the patch might give it away - see pic :)

A co-worker told me he could get any pro jersey for 50 bucks! Of course I was like, sweet I want Lemieux! Well I knew deep down that it would prob be a knock off but I wanted to see for myself...The jersey came today: It was one of the better fakes that Ive seen...quality material, all stitched...but there is a Stanley Cup finals patch in the upper right portion of the jersey and instead of "Stanley Cup" it stays "Stanlby Cup"! Darn! Good thing I planned on having it framed with the back name and number showing... but he dropped the price to 40 bucks so i'm not too bummed. But for any other jersey that I intend to wear, I will not be buying any more knock offs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Great message board you have here. I cannot believe it took me this long to find it!

This thread is very helpful in educating about the finer points of authentics and fakes. I bought a few CCM authentics in the 1990s (Belfour white and Bure road), but haven't bought any jerseys in a while. I'm looking into a new Hawks EDGE, and ebay is way shady. Thanks for the tips.

Also ,if anyone has any 1990s CCM authentic ultrafil jerseys, I am always looking. Especially for the 1991 TBTC barbepole Hawks jersey.

Josh

1991 TBTC barbepole Hawks jersey.

Get in line :( I've been looking for a year with no luck. Well I found one once but missed my opportunity by a day. It was only about 120 dollars too :(

Get in line :( I've been looking for a year with no luck. Well I found one once but missed my opportunity by a day. It was only about 120 dollars too :(

Oh, well at least I'm not the only one! They are gorgeous. I wanted one in 1991, but I was just too small! That, and I was 13, and didn't have cash to spend on jerseys.

The best way to tell a fake Hawks jersey is in the stitching. Authentic Blackhawks jerseys have the "chain stitching" that makes the feathers and shoulder patches look like the stitching is done in loops. If it doesn't have that, it's fake.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this thread and board focuses on hockey jerseys, but since I assume most of us also follow other sports, here is a great site about how to spot NFL fakes:

http://www.thumper300zx.com/jersey/fake_vs_real.htm

Edited by mmajeski06

Awesome thread guys. Thanks for dropping all the knowledge.

Good post skates. Thanks for the images.

I've noticed that aside from the fight strap, the letters/numbers tell you everything you need to know. They don't even look close and are generally all puffy looking. Typically the crest looks that way as well on a fake, but that one looks pretty decent.

The dead give-away is always the fight strap, though. How weak.

Definitely with ya on the fight strap thing, though I have a couple fakes (White Selanne Jets, Flames Cammalleri), that have fight straps identical to that on my game worn and true authentics, HOWEVER, the material that attaches the fight strap to the jersey is different, on the real jerseys it is more like the material the numbers are made from and on the fakes it is just another piece of fabric like the jerseys themselves are made from, but in most cases, the fight straps on those knock-offs are brutal.

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...

Looks very good :thumbsup:

By looks good you mean it's real? I picked it up on eBay for $175 so I've been a bit suspicious, but I've researched it up and down, Reeboks site is NO help with what to look for with real jerseys. I was bit by the fake jersey last winter and thankfully I got my money back after complaining. From what I can see it all seems real. It's a Christmas gift got my wife this year (I'm a red wings fan). if others can chime in that would be great!

Thanks for your reply!