How to spot a fake jersey!

By looks good you mean it's real? I picked it up on eBay for $175 so I've been a bit suspicious, but I've researched it up and down, Reeboks site is NO help with what to look for with real jerseys. I was bit by the fake jersey last winter and thankfully I got my money back after complaining. From what I can see it all seems real. It's a Christmas gift got my wife this year (I'm a red wings fan). if others can chime in that would be great!

Thanks for your reply!

Yup, it is legit. You can tell by looking at the fight strap. Typically fakes do not have the twill (is that material twill?) over the fight strap.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I get a fake?

%100 authentic.

the NHL shield is perfect

Yup, it is legit. You can tell by looking at the fight strap. Typically fakes do not have the twill (is that material twill?) over the fight strap.

The fakes do have twill (or their fake version of it) over the fight strap on the inside, however they normally skimp heavily on the material used - instead of a rectangle, on the fakes it's usually a square not much bigger than the portion of the fight strap it covers.

The fakes do have twill (or their fake version of it) over the fight strap on the inside, however they normally skimp heavily on the material used - instead of a rectangle, on the fakes it's usually a square not much bigger than the portion of the fight strap it covers.

It isn't has shiny as the legit jerseys....Also, doesn't a fight strap have to be at least 10 inches?

Question: Wanting to buy a Flames jersey for my Dad (fav team) but there's no way I can afford a legitimate, authentic jersey. For the 40-50$ you spend on Ebay, is it worth getting? Can the untrained eye (like myself or my dad) really tell the difference?

First of all, supporting people who sell fakes and make a living out of ripping off legitimate companies is absolutely insane. Second, yes it is brutally obvious to anyone with eyes which jerseys are real and which ones aren't, these fakers cheap out BIG time and it shows. Please don't buy fakes. I'm sure your dad would be cool with an old CCM 550 that comes relatively cheap.

Question: Wanting to buy a Flames jersey for my Dad (fav team) but there's no way I can afford a legitimate, authentic jersey. For the 40-50$ you spend on Ebay, is it worth getting? Can the untrained eye (like myself or my dad) really tell the difference?

Please do not be a part of this problem. Buy a replica from Reebok for about 100. I had a pretty good idea the one I bought last year was fake and I had no idea until I randomly researched fake jerseys. It just isn't worth it.

You don't need to spend $300 or something on an authentic, you can get a nice Flames Reebok Premier replica for $88 here

http://www.sportsk.com/calgaryflames.html

trust me, for the extra $40 you spend over the china fakes you'll be glad you did!

Nothing wrong with a good replica, i'm sure your dad will love it!

Don't give your dad cancer: http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/business/toxic-cancer-causing-dyes-found-in-china-garments_100404766.html

I don't know about you guys, but I can spot a fake from a mile away. When I'm watching games with my wife in the room, I'll be pointing out jerseys on the fans in the crowd "That's a fake, that's a fake...", much to her consternation. Those Penguins 2008 Winter Classic abominations are especially awful.

That Hawks jersey is totally legit. Can't wait to get mine.....mine will have the tomahawks on the shoulders.

My jerseys

• 1 month later...

Not that it takes away from how pathetic the jersey and the customization is, it seems the jock tags found on replicas are making their way onto fake jerseys

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=251691266

Not to mention the lead paint the toys!

Anything to save a buck huh?

I am new to this site but from reading the posts prior to registering, I thought someone here could help me out. I don't know if I am posting in the right area, please redirect me if I should be posting elsewhere.

I bought this New York Rangers Scott Gomez Jersey and I am trying to determine if it is Authentic or a good knock-off.

Any help is much appreciated. Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks

If you need more pics or other information to help make your educated decision, please tell me.

Rangers.jpg

NHLLOGO2.jpg

NHLLOGO1.jpgCenterIceTag.jpgMadeInCanada.jpgFightstrapinside.jpgFightstrapoutside.jpgCareTag.jpgRBKLogo.jpgGomezNameplate.jpg

I just wanted to give some people a head's up on the Calgary Flames Heritage classic jersey. Having been to a few recent home games of the Flames, I noticed a lot of people sporting fakes. And i'm not exagerating, but the numbers of fakes I've seen is easily in the hundreds. If you're looking into ordering a customized authentic, here are 4 simple clues that show it is a fake. I will include pictures when I can get them up.

1. On the hem and sleeve cuffs of the fake jersey, the yellow stripe is close to 3 inches from top to bottom. It is also them same material as the rest of the jersey, rather than being seperate. On the real jersey it is about an inch on both the cuffs and hem.

2. The fake jersey's crest and customization are grossly incorrect. The jersey is unique in the fact that both crest and numbers are the faux felt vintage/creme white. On the fakes they are just straight up white twill over red. also on the crest of a true authentic, the faux felt with red trim is atop a yellow twill bottom. This yellow bottom is not present on most of the fakes. The sleeve number on the fakes is also much larger than that of true authentics.

3. The special Heritage classic patch on the right front breast of the sweater on the fakes is significantly larger than it is on ligitimates.

4. The reebok logo on the rear of the neck is not a patch and is however just embroidered onto the fabric, like pretty much all fakes in this instance.

I personally have an uncustomized replica of this sweater, but I have seen both a customized replica and authentic in person. Both were at local retailers Hockey Experts, The Fanattic and Jersey City. As far as I know, the only place to find a true authentic online back when I witnessed the plethora of fakes was NHL.com's official shop, and at the time, even local retailers had not yet begun selling authentics. Again, I will post pictures of both once I can get the pics online, but I do hope this will prove helpful.

Does anyone else get irritated when they can spot a fake jersey in the crowd when watching a game on TV? Some guys at the Blackhawks game last week were sitting in those primo "between the benches" seats, yet were sporting the most awful-looking Kane fakes (complete with "A"'s on the chest) I've ever seen. It angered me. Do I have a problem?

Ya I see tons of fake Sabres 40ths you can't miss them on TV the numbers are so shiny almost like tin-foil. I mean how could you bring yourself to buy one when its not even close?

Does anyone else get irritated when they can spot a fake jersey in the crowd when watching a game on TV? Some guys at the Blackhawks game last week were sitting in those primo "between the benches" seats, yet were sporting the most awful-looking Kane fakes (complete with "A"'s on the chest) I've ever seen. It angered me. Do I have a problem?

YES! and NO you don't!

I sit at real games looking at the jerseys instead of watching the Leafs loose now!.

It's almost more action then on the ice.

seriously, you watch any Flames home game these days on TV and you'll tons of fakes. Even the other night on Hockey Night in Canada against the leafs. During the post game images package, they showed a Flames fan in an Iginla Heritage jersey, and is fit all my descriptions on fakes. It made me laugh, even though it was horeshit.

I'll throw myself under the bus here to contribute. I have a knockoff Rangers jersey (yes I knew what I was buying) and I didn't realize how horrible it really was until I saw my friend's RBK Premiere jersey in person when we went to a game. I'll never wear that thing to a hockey game ever again. I'll post pics eventually, just to contribute to the thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a Flyers game earlier this year... some guy had a Pronger "authentic" Winter Classic sweater... didn't have the "A" and the black nameplate was obviously crooked with the wrong font. Found it funny.

I saw someone wearing one of those Koivu Ducks jerseys with the wrinkly logo and tan stripe during Ducks vs. Montreal the other week. I didn't think people would ever actually wear those.

• 2 weeks later...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Signed-Authentic-Steve-Mason-Jersey-Blue-Jackets-NHL-/370482271415?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item564276d4b7#ht_3633wt_1139

Fake or real? I say fake, the numbers and crest do not look right to me and the price also seems to be a dead give away.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Signed-Authentic-Steve-Mason-Jersey-Blue-Jackets-NHL-/370482271415?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item564276d4b7#ht_3633wt_1139

Fake or real? I say fake, the numbers and crest do not look right to me and the price also seems to be a dead give away.

The shiny, bubbly numbers scream fake.