How to spot a fake jersey!

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is so helpful. Good to have for reference. Glad I found it lol

Tell your friends.

Fake jerseys beware!

I'll throw myself under the bus here to contribute. I have a knockoff Rangers jersey (yes I knew what I was buying) and I didn't realize how horrible it really was until I saw my friend's RBK Premiere jersey in person when we went to a game. I'll never wear that thing to a hockey game ever again. I'll post pics eventually, just to contribute to the thread.

Bahahaha, just had to laugh at you on here.

Also, I know that this thread is really good at telling NHL fakes from real jerseys, but what about other leagues like AHL/OHL/CHL etc? I know that the jersey makers are different in some leagues, so is there a list somewhere of what companies make what type of jersey for each league?

Also, I know that this thread is really good at telling NHL fakes from real jerseys, but what about other leagues like AHL/OHL/CHL etc? I know that the jersey makers are different in some leagues, so is there a list somewhere of what companies make what type of jersey for each league?

With all due respect, who is gonna fake minor league jerseys???

The only Minor Fakes I see is the Rimouski Oceanic, we all know why...

And that's the end of that. Stay on topic.

new to the forums, and this might be an "oddly specific post" but for people looking at Wild sweaters, there are a few key things you can do to spot a fake right on the spot.

Red Homes-- look at the neck, is it all flat material or is ruffled?

if you have a ruffle, then you are good to go. The string is also round and not flat like a shoe string. Also, ask any seller to show you the front patch/crest too. 9/10 times the green on the crest of the reds is lighter than the greens on the rest of the jersey. Even in pictures it is easy to spot.

Green 3rd Jersey's-- same principal applies to the alternates released by the Wild. The neckline is all very telling right from the get go.

Happy hunting!

It looks like 'elbow-padding' has made it into fake jerseys. The one I got has stitching on the elbows to make it seem like they are padded.

Pictures?

Does anyone else get irritated when they can spot a fake jersey in the crowd when watching a game on TV? Some guys at the Blackhawks game last week were sitting in those primo "between the benches" seats, yet were sporting the most awful-looking Kane fakes (complete with "A"'s on the chest) I've ever seen. It angered me. Do I have a problem?

Late to the party, but I hate this too. And you're right, a lot of people with fake jerseys who claim they can't afford $300 jerseys can ALWAYS afford club seats or glass seats. I hate to judge, but there's a lot of irony in that to me.

And I also agree with the others with the amount of fakes you see at games. I see soooo many it's unbelievable. I wish I could explain to people that they're not getting the great deal they think they are, but of course, this politically correct society disallows that. Oh well, such is life.

Late to the party, but I hate this too. And you're right, a lot of people with fake jerseys who claim they can't afford $300 jerseys can ALWAYS afford club seats or glass seats. I hate to judge, but there's a lot of irony in that to me.

And I also agree with the others with the amount of fakes you see at games. I see soooo many it's unbelievable. I wish I could explain to people that they're not getting the great deal they think they are, but of course, this politically correct society disallows that. Oh well, such is life.

Where do they sell the fakes in such quantity that so many people have them?

^all you gotta do is google NHL whole sale jerseys and you will get a ton of sites to get bootleg sweaters.

some look good, some ok, and others like complete a**. the buyer is taking a gamble and hoping what they are getting is accurately represented in the pictures.

Ebay has a ton of them too. Authentic Reebok's going for $70 and under. "if it's too good to be true...."

I was at the Rangers/Kings game on Thursday and I had a ton of Kings fans sitting in front of me, and almost every single one of their jerseys looked fake. So easy to see the puffy shiny numbers. I couldn't help but laugh, but I'm obviously not going to say anything. Even with all of the fake Rangers jerseys I see at MSG, it's just upsetting. I end up spending downtime during the game and almost all of the intermission just looking at jerseys trying to spot fakes and real ones and unique jerseys. You usually get a few people wearing jerseys from overseas leagues, probably tourists. I hope that one day I'll have a good enough collection that I can wear unique jerseys to every game I go to and people will be able to look and say "that's not something you see every day"

^all you gotta do is google NHL whole sale jerseys and you will get a ton of sites to get bootleg sweaters.

some look good, some ok, and others like complete a**. the buyer is taking a gamble and hoping what they are getting is accurately represented in the pictures.

Ebay has a ton of them too. Authentic Reebok's going for $70 and under. "if it's too good to be true...."

Sounds like basically online, then, and the NHL isn't able to police it. It's gotta be a high-margin product for the NHL, making me wonder how low they could price legitimate stuff, and make close to the same profit, by selling a lot more.

yeah a majority of it is online, but spreads to local markets when people buy a ton of them for $35 shipped to your door, and flip them for $50-100 on ebay, craigslist, and i have seen guys at kiosks in malls around here

Yeah, the mall kiosks and temporary stores are getting ridiculous. Every mall has one it seems like and I have to bite my tongue so hard not to say something when I see some terrible fakes. They are primarily football jerseys, but there are other sports involved too. At my workplace, a lot of customers have come in over the past year and are like, "Hey! Check out my jersey. I got it for only like $35 on eBay, and it's authentic too, everything is sewn on and everything!" That's another tongue-biter.

I wonder what the best way to report those stores and kiosks selling the stuff is...? Any ideas?

Yeah, the mall kiosks and temporary stores are getting ridiculous. Every mall has one it seems like and I have to bite my tongue so hard not to say something when I see some terrible fakes. They are primarily football jerseys, but there are other sports involved too. At my workplace, a lot of customers have come in over the past year and are like, "Hey! Check out my jersey. I got it for only like $35 on eBay, and it's authentic too, everything is sewn on and everything!" That's another tongue-biter.

I wonder what the best way to report those stores and kiosks selling the stuff is...? Any ideas?

You could always call or email the NHL office and ask.

I know this forum is a great help for spotting fake hockey jerseys, but how do you spot fakes from other sports?

NFL can be a little harder because the NFL shop too has been known to reuse old stock of their jerseys and put current players on there as well. so it can be tricky to tell if it is legit or not.

Well that sucks. But I mean, like what would be the telling signs? It's obvious on hockey jerseys if the numbers look wrong, or if the vector and NHL shield on an authentic aren't sewn, and stuff like that. I would just like to know what to look for when it comes to other sports, cause I don't just limit myself to hockey jerseys.

Well that sucks. But I mean, like what would be the telling signs? It's obvious on hockey jerseys if the numbers look wrong, or if the vector and NHL shield on an authentic aren't sewn, and stuff like that. I would just like to know what to look for when it comes to other sports, cause I don't just limit myself to hockey jerseys.

Well on the tags many words are misspelled for example "Natinal Foetball League" or something like that. Also in the MLB the real jerseys have the MLB logo sewn on the back neck. Although for the NBA I don't know.

for NFL, the biggest thing i guess is the NFL shield on the front. I guess the NFL switches small things year to year on those. And coloring too, I saw some pretty bad knock off Viking's jerseys this year with all sorts of different shades of purple.