How to spot a fake jersey!

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the mall kiosks and temporary stores are getting ridiculous. Every mall has one it seems like and I have to bite my tongue so hard not to say something when I see some terrible fakes. They are primarily football jerseys, but there are other sports involved too. At my workplace, a lot of customers have come in over the past year and are like, "Hey! Check out my jersey. I got it for only like $35 on eBay, and it's authentic too, everything is sewn on and everything!" That's another tongue-biter.

I wonder what the best way to report those stores and kiosks selling the stuff is...? Any ideas?

I'm a firefighter and I have a lot of buddies in the police force. Most governing bodies i.e. NCAA, NHL, NBA and NFL have a division that deals in counterfits. Recently one of my buddies on the police department was paid by the company that has the exclusive jersey rights for the University of Utah to go to the game and be undercover with one of their employees to confiscate from vendors any jerseys that were fake. He said they kept very busy and took a lot of merchandise. So I would say you could definately contact either your local police department with your suspicsions or the league.

P.S. I'm now officially hooked on this jersey thing. My whole life I've wanted these things and now I finally have saved up some money and have the means to buy stuff. I've got my eye on a game issued or rookie camp gameworn jersey. (not actually gameworn from regular season, not THAT RICH yet) But maybe someday I'll pop on a bigger named player regular season gameworn sweater.

Thanks for all your help on spotting this stuff!!

got my first fake. seems obvious to me, but I thought I would post here before confronting the seller. This is supposed to be an authentic 2004 western conference all star. it's nothing like any CCM jersey that i own.

I'll just post the closeups:

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

I agree - I'm not seeing anything bad in those pics. And the NHLPA logo embroidered on the hem denotes it's a game issue.

Where do they sell the fakes in such quantity that so many people have them?

Ebay. Kijiji.

I saw an entire fake jersey store in St. Jacobs outlet mall near Waterloo, Ontario.

CLEARLY a piece of trash. Can I have it?

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies, all. :blink:

I opened it and just immediately thought it was fake. No center ice patch in the neck, just a size tag. I even looked here for tells and thought I saw one in the embroidered NHL on the hem. I thought that was a dead giveaway for a fake?? Add that even the NHLPA thing looks kind of poorly done. It's also very thin, and I expected it to be heavy. The stars are sewn with criss/cross patters and the front letters are felt. The fight strap seems goofy and stiff compared to my other authentics, but I admit I don't have anything else from this era.

So you guys are telling me this is real, and not only that, perhaps better than a retail authentic??? :stickhndl:

I also realize this shouldn't be in this thread at all now, so I apologize for the hijack.

To be serious its a game issued jersey from the 2004 NHL All Star game. Very nice find!

To be even more serious. Its trash rage give it to me.

Not fair I said rage dibs time infinity so

I WIN!

Pretension alert, self quote coming through :P

dsc11032.th.jpg

This jersey is just full of fake-alarms, but the dead give-away in this picture is the horrible looking Stanley Cup centennial patch.

To follow up on this jersey, which I thought was fake, I guess I was wrong... I got an email back from a M&N rep saying that he believes that it is an official Mitchell and Ness jersey. If that is the case, then M&N makes reproductions teeming with red flags. Does anyone else have an M&N jersey that could give me something to compare to?

Pretension alert, self quote coming through :P

To follow up on this jersey, which I thought was fake, I guess I was wrong... I got an email back from a M&N rep saying that he believes that it is an official Mitchell and Ness jersey. If that is the case, then M&N makes reproductions teeming with red flags. Does anyone else have an M&N jersey that could give me something to compare to?

Is this the jersey you have?

My link

You could also compare with this.

Can you tell us where you got the jersey? What is the size? Can you show pictures of the M&N tags and back hem logo?

Can someone post a high-res picture of what Ultrafil looks like...like good enough to see the detail of the double-knit? That'd be sweet...I'm trying to compare something to another.