How to spot a fake jersey!

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks bud. Figured as much.

No problem. It happens. If you stick around, you'll soon be able to tell the differences in material and be able to spot a fake from a mile away.

Never trust anyone who claims to get "authentic" jerseys cheap. They're fake, every time. But, as was already said, if you spend enough time here you'll learn to spot them instantly.

Never trust anyone who claims to get "authentic" jerseys cheap. They're fake, every time. But, as was already said, if you spend enough time here you'll learn to spot them instantly.

Once you stay on here, you will be able to get authentics cheap!

Once you stay on here, you will be able to get authentics cheap!

Only if you're an Islanders fan. I hear the value of a jersey declines exponentially after it's been shat on :P

Only if you're an Islanders fan. I hear the value of a jersey declines exponentially after it's been shat on :P

Next time I see Lundqvist, I should ask him how John Tavares' crap tastes because Johnny sharts all over the raggies!

It's true. JT also s***ts a lot at home while watching the Rangers in the playoffs.

Next time I see Lundqvist, I should ask him how John Tavares' crap tastes because Johnny sharts all over the raggies!

Wasn't JT supposed to be the best thing since Gretzky? More like Charlie Conway :P

It's true. JT also s***ts a lot at home while watching the Rangers in the playoffs.

Oh I'm sorry. Who did the rangers beat for the Stanley Cup last season?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, been doing some research - found and read through this thread - very helpful! I have been looking for a Flyers '12 Winter Classic jersey and came across this on ebay - is it real or fake? Some things seem off to me (patch stitching, threading, etc.) but I am not a huge hockey jersey collector. I have also requested more photographs from the seller of the shield, fight strap, inside back of numbers etc.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage3.aspx?gid=1771699ℑ=642269463&images=642269463,642269486,642269398,642269371,642269349,642269327,642269304&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0

Any help would be appreciated - thank you in advance!

Hi all, been doing some research - found and read through this thread - very helpful! I have been looking for a Flyers '12 Winter Classic jersey and came across this on ebay - is it real or fake? Some things seem off to me (patch stitching, threading, etc.) but I am not a huge hockey jersey collector. I have also requested more photographs from the seller of the shield, fight strap, inside back of numbers etc.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage3.aspx?gid=1771699ℑ=642269463&images=642269463,642269486,642269398,642269371,642269349,642269327,642269304&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0

Any help would be appreciated - thank you in advance!

That's a fake, easiest giveaway is the puffy/shiny numbers and crest. Also the general cut of the jersey is terrible.

And (correct me if I'm wrong) the 3 foot collar laces

The hang tags on the sleeve have some issues as well. Look at the print job of the NHL shield ... it looks dotted, not solid, missing sticker, how none of the pictures show the holograms.

This one has almost every typical error of a counterfeit boldly showing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chicago-Blackhawks-RBK-Jersey-Kane-Mens-52-NHL-Center-ice-Game-Used-Sweater-/140911268949?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cef75455

that's probably true for any game you go to. ranger games are spectacular for spotting ridiculous fakes. my brother used to joke that he thinks I went to games more to watch peoples jerseys than to watch the actual game.

• 4 weeks later...

It's difficult to be certain since the photo is low-res and lacks closeup detail. If you can post closeup pictures of the neck area with tags, and of the fight strap, it should be much easier to say for certain whether it's legit. Also, a better place to post this is in the "Is it good or not?" thread in the NHL section.

attachicon.gif001 (2).jpgcan anyone tell me if this is real or fake- so many things seem to check out but still not 100 percent sure

What is the price as you can get a 2.0 or even a 1.0 at Meigray and customization under 200.00 for a real authentic jerseys

I happened to see the listing for this jersey on eBay- it's totally fake.

• 1 month later...

Hi I need jersey help. I bought a Maple Leafs Third Jersey from National Sports in Ontario. I have been reading a lot about spotting fakes. Anyways this is the 2012 version with the Reebok word instead of logo. Anyways I noticed the NHL shield patch is not stitched into the collar insert in the front, but rather is heat pressed. Heat pressed seems to indicate fake, is it possible I bought a fake jersey from National Sports which is a reputable seller?

Hi I need jersey help. I bought a Maple Leafs Third Jersey from National Sports in Ontario. I have been reading a lot about spotting fakes. Anyways this is the 2012 version with the Reebok word instead of logo. Anyways I noticed the NHL shield patch is not stitched into the collar insert in the front, but rather is heat pressed. Heat pressed seems to indicate fake, is it possible I bought a fake jersey from National Sports which is a reputable seller?

Id be shocked if National Sports sold counterfeit jerseys. Does it have a fight strap? If not, its most likely a legit replica.

To be 100% sure post pictures

Didn't know where else to post this but an interesting video (on NFL fakes). If you want an even more interesting laugh read the comments and the people defending buying fakes and telling people they can't spot fakes and mostly everything on ebay is fakes

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8903129

I do agree that all the major sports charge way too much for their authentics and am sure we would cry if we saw their profit margins on them, I don't think that makes it right for someone to justify buy a fake item that was probably made by slave labor. I wouldn't be surprised if they could cut the cost by 2/3rds and still make profit...THAT would eat into the fake world a lot more. If the numbers are true that just last year about 100mil in jerseys where seized that is nuts and they'd be stupid not to try to lower prices. If your margin is 600% on an authentic but only sell 1k a year vs 100% profit margin and selling thousands it doesn't take a genius to see where the more money is.

Yeah and they will just continue to raise prices until they're not selling anything. In 5-10 years authentic prices will be even more insane. In the long run, its going to make gamers the most affordable jersey out there. I mean heck, most gamers can be had for less than a retail authentic + customization already.