How to spot a fake jersey!

LOL some assclown told Jigokusabre from JC that he doesn't know what he's talking about and there's no way to tell that a jersey is fake. People are so stupid it amazes me. I walked into my Con Law class today, turned left and IMMEDIATELY saw a moron wearing a fake NY Giants jersey sitting in the back of the class. I laughed at him. But yeah, there's "no way" to tell a jersey is fake.

Idiots.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just received a fake Minnesota Wild 3rd Martin Havlat jersey. NHL neck logo is a patch sewn on, which surprised me. I figured it would have been directly embroidered in. Numbers had the paper backing which was the first giveaway. Jersey has the notch cut into the sides, which I thought only the Premiers had. RBK Center Ice neck tag looks like it was cut out of another jersey and sewn into this one. Very sloppy. Cheapo fight strap sewn in. This seems like a converted Premier, but I can't find any trace of a removed jock tag. I bought this from scotty_dog34 on eBay for $65, so I can't complain too much. Apparently the Chinese have figured out the patch vs. embroidered shield and vector logos.

At least the seller allows returns, so you should be able to get your money back. If you mention that the jersey is counterfeit, which it clearly is, maybe you can even get him to cover your return shipping as well.

• 1 month later...

Hello all!

I really hope this is the right place to post this question.

My knowledge of jerseys is fairly limited, so I hope I don't sound too stupid when trying to explain what I'm looking for. Anyways, I've been looking into buying a Sharks jersey in the style they wore between the years 1998 and 2007. I'm pretty sure it was the CCM 6100 team jersey? So my question is, are the replica jerseys and the authentic jerseys any different when it comes to the material? As far as the authentic goes, they are made of polyester and look like this:

$T2eC16J,!zoE9s5nd0MhBRkn7)fwdg~~60_3.JP

But I'm not sure if the replicas look the same. On eBay, I find jerseys that have different material on the silver/ teal on the sleeves; it's really shiny.

$(KGrHqJ,!q!FG+Fm)ouCBRw15i3EPQ~~60_57.J

$(KGrHqZ,!qQFE6!pI5UnBRiD9CqI!!~~60_3.JP

$(KGrHqVHJ!8FGnLZKZ+qBRvd4wirDg~~60_57.J

(sorry the pictures are so big...)

So, are these last three fakes or are they replicas? Is the material supposed to be like that or should I basically avoid anything made with "shiny" material?

Sorry for dragging this out for too long, but I don't want to risk paying a lot for a fake.

First of all welcome to the forums, and don't worry, your questions are certainly not stupid.

All 4 of the jerseys you posted are replicas (not authentics), and they are all legit (not fake).

In the 1997-98 season, when that jersey design came out, the on-ice authentics were made by Nike, not CCM. In the 1999-2000 season, Nike left the NHL jersey scene and CCM took over production of the Sharks' on-ice jerseys. Even though CCM did not make the on-ice jerseys from 1997-99, they still made replicas for sale. The last three photos are all of CCM replicas made between 1997 and 2000. I'm not sure why the 4th jersey has the weird stripe pattern- I'm guessing it may be one of the earliest (prototype?) CCM replicas made when Nike was doing the authentics. The last 3 jerseys have shiny sleeve material which is similar to what the Nike and CCM authentics had during the late 90's, so in that respect at least, the replicas are actually consistent with the authentics. If you look at photos of the backs of the last 3 jerseys, you will see a CCM logo on the back of the hem.

Starting with the 2000-01 season, and up until the 2004 lockout, the on-ice jerseys for the Sharks were made by CCM (whites) and Koho (darks). Both companies produced replicas during that time. The first picture you posted is of a Koho replica made after 2000. These jerseys were made of a rougher, duller-surfaced air-knit polyester, which is why the sleeves on the first jersey are not shiny. The authentics during this period were also made of air-knit, so again, the replicas of this time are consistent with the authentics. If you look at the back of the first jersey you will see the Koho logo right under the neck, not on the hem. A post-2000 CCM jersey will also have the logo under the neck, which is one way you can tell pre-2000 and post-2000 CCM's apart.

So in summary, don't worry if the jersey has shiny sleeves. Whether it's an authentic or replica, they both are supposed to have them if they were made between 1997-2000. And both authentics and replicas made after 2000 (including the Reebok 6100's made from 2005-07) have the non-shiny air-knit sleeves.

Here are some gameworn authentics from various time periods that you can take a look at, which I think illustrate the points I was making in my earlier post. In the pre-2000 jerseys you can easily see the shinier, dazzle-type material, and in the post-2000 jersey the duller finish of the air-knit sleeves.

2001/02 Koho:

http://www.classicauctions.net/Default.aspx?tabid=263&auctionid=65&lotid=903

1999-2000 CCM:

http://www.gamewornauctions.net/products/1999_00_Marco_Sturm_San_Jose_Sharks_Game_Worn_Jersey_Photo_Match_Team_Letter-5586-141.html

1997/98 Nike:

http://www.gamewornauctions.net/products/1997_98_Jeff_Friesen_Sharks_Game_Worn_Jersey_Alternate-3057-89.html

Hey,

I posted this in another thread....but maybe I'll have more luck here. I'd like to know about CCM's "Vintage Hockey" line of jerseys, and how to spot fakes. I'm pretty sure I've seen fakes on wholesale sites when doing research about them.

-Were/are CCM "Vintage Hockey" jerseys sized in letters (S, M, L) or numbers (52), or both? I recall hearing that a CCM Vintage jersey with the number size is 100 percent fake, as they only sized them in small, medium, large, etc, is this true?

-Is a fight strap on a CCM "Vintage jersey" a sure sign that it is fake? I recall hearing that they were never produced with fight straps.

-I heard they were never manufactured with players names/numbers, and that the only non fake CCM "Vintage Hockey" jerseys with player name/numbers would have to be custom jobs. Is this true as well?

-Are there any other indications concerning the CCM "Vintage Hockey" line?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate any help.

• 4 weeks later...

At least the seller allows returns, so you should be able to get your money back. If you mention that the jersey is counterfeit, which it clearly is, maybe you can even get him to cover your return shipping as well.

Late update. I got my money back from the seller. I'm sticking to gamers now. Seems to kill two birds with one stone.

• 3 weeks later...

Just come to a flyers home game. 9 times out of 10 are fake jerseys

You aren't kidding. I've been to multiple bars in the Philadelphia/Bucks County area where some real shady people are selling "real" jerseys for only $60. My buddy bought a Courturier WC that he thought was legit and it looks horrible, but he wears it to every game. You will see so many Winter Classic jerseys at Flyers games that 1) showcase players that didn't partake in the weekend festivities and 2) have pieces of them falling off lol

ok, Vintage Authentics are good and bad, ya just gotta know what to look for.

If you see a Vintage Authentic, with an all GRAY tag and numeric sizing, it is fake. Also look for the horrid fight strap. always a dead give away.

If you see a Vintage Replica, meaning it has the all GRAY tag and letter sizing, it is 99.99% of the time legit replica. I don't say 100% because nothing is always a guarantee.

Vintage Authentics (and the most recent was picked up by Cygnus X1 and his sweet Rangers jersey) have the following.

Vintage Authentic tag, with BLUE going across the top and bottom of it, along with the numeric sizing. The fight strap is also what you find and attached to the CCM/Reebok 6100's.

I have found that real deal Vintage Authentics are hard to come by (at least in North Stars, not sure about other teams) and when they do show up usually command good money.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought there were not any retail authentic Bruins winter classic jerseys made:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSTON-BRUINS-2010-WINTER-CLASSIC-AUTHENTIC-REEBOK-EDGE-2-0-7287-JERSEY-SZ-56-/300959018487?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item46128e2df7

What do you guys think? He has a size 58 that's listed as team issued, but this one, and the other sizes all have the neck tags.

Well, it's definitely not fake, so apparently there are indeed retail 2.0's available. All the stuff he sells is legit, and he carries a lot of 2.0's that no one else does.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there! I actually JUST registered so I could ask a question in this thread.

I have a growing jersey collection. I absolutely refuse to buy any fake ones, so I need some help.

Anyone familiar with "pro-jerseys" on eBay? They have over 30k feedback at 100%. I'm specifically looking at these two jerseys and I'm not sure if they're fake or not.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CANADA-2002-Nike-Olympic-Throwback-Customized-Hockey-Jersey-/300970439609

and

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PAUL-KARIYA-Anaheim-Mighty-Ducks-2003-CCM-Throwback-Home-NHL-Hockey-Jersey-/300958953128

Thanks in advance!

Hi there! I actually JUST registered so I could ask a question in this thread.

I have a growing jersey collection. I absolutely refuse to buy any fake ones, so I need some help.

Anyone familiar with "pro-jerseys" on eBay? They have over 30k feedback at 100%. I'm specifically looking at these two jerseys and I'm not sure if they're fake or not.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CANADA-2002-Nike-Olympic-Throwback-Customized-Hockey-Jersey-/300970439609

and

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PAUL-KARIYA-Anaheim-Mighty-Ducks-2003-CCM-Throwback-Home-NHL-Hockey-Jersey-/300958953128

Thanks in advance!

Both legit replicas.

Emk194, I would be cautious about buying any CCM replicas from them, like the Kariya Ducks. What you see may not be exactly what you get. If you would like more details, feel free to PM me.

It's definitely fake. (Once you get a little experienced at this, you can tell right away.)

How about these? I'm not the most experienced with this.. the price I'd be buying from this guy isn't too expensive so I want to double check here..

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/2125/jzob.jpg

How about these? I'm not the most experienced with this.. the price I'd be buying from this guy isn't too expensive so I want to double check here..

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/2125/jzob.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img716/5208/qywu.jpg

Hard to tell from those pics, but the crest look very shiny and puffy. Also the cream on the coyotes crest should be like a felt material. I'm saying fakes.

Hard to tell from those pics, but the crest look very shiny and puffy. Also the cream on the coyotes crest should be like a felt material. I'm saying fakes.

Thanks for your thoughts, anyone else want to chime in?