How to spot a fake jersey!

Can someone post a high-res picture of what Ultrafil looks like...like good enough to see the detail of the double-knit? That'd be sweet...I'm trying to compare something to another.

IMG_4229.jpg

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a size 48 and I got it from eBay. Here's a shot of the hem tag. It just didn't seem right to me...

Yeah, that doesn't look right. The M&N mark should look like this:

88959865.jpg

Note the ampersand, the "ss", the flourish with the sharp point at the right.

And the neck tag should look like this:

mn2nz.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Cryswolf and Skates94 thanks for all the insight in regard to this issue. That being said what companies do you guys recommend? Nhl.com, IJ, anything else?

Cryswolf and Skates94 thanks for all the insight in regard to this issue. That being said what companies do you guys recommend? Nhl.com, IJ, anything else?

No one here would recommend NHL.com for custom jobs. They will trash your jersey but it will be real.

No one here would recommend NHL.com for custom jobs. They will trash your jersey but it will be real.

Thanks for the info. What stores do you recommend for custom jobs?

You sure are! We know you VERY well. :D

You're friends with my buddy Dan out in Arizona as well. He's always talking about you whenever he calls me about something.

I know this is off topic, well, just for the sport... but does anyone own a Mitchell & Ness authentic NFL jersey and can send me or post close up photos of it??? I never bought any, nor seen any before, their website shows the graphic pictures and not actual photos which I hate, and most I find on ebay etc are fakes and want to see the difference in quality from a real M&N NFL jersey... stitching, mesh material etc.... the bottom tags. Thanks

Goon, I was looking over your blog and I wanted to point out that just because a jersey is poorly customized doesn't necessarily mean it's a fake jersey, like that Probert Red Wings. It's a real jersey that's just poorly customized. And that '98 Canucks jersey is real, just inappropriately customized with Jovanovski.

LesNordiques, Have you looked at the Jersey Central Throwbacks forum? It's mixed sports, but there should be plenty of M&N NFL pictures if you poke around including a durene thread for the older styles.

F-Liars,

I couldn't agree with you more about the jerseys on ebay. I just bought one, Anaheim Ducks Selanne customized. The jersey was legit and I compared to some of the other Ducks ones I have. The problem was the letters and numbers were POOR quality. It looked like someone ironed on the numbers/letters. Here is the ebay item. Selanne Ebay Jersey 2xl Problem is the photo is at a distance, but I should have investigated more. I returned it and got my money back. The seller was surprised though when I did and said it was a legit jersey. I told him the jersey was good, but the letters were not authentic. This was the first time I didn't have the Duck store at the Arena customize a jersey and this is my last time. I only trust the team store for authentic customization.

What took you so long. You are kinda famous around here. :lol:

You can say that again! :stickhndl:

Goon, I was looking over your blog and I wanted to point out that just because a jersey is poorly customized doesn't necessarily mean it's a fake jersey, like that Probert Red Wings. It's a real jersey that's just poorly customized. And that '98 Canucks jersey is real, just inappropriately customized with Jovanovski.

I would have to see the hem on the Probert or under it to make that call but the neck tags are correct and in the right spots BUT that doesn't mean its legit. The fight strap looks good too.

The Jovi looks real too me also but again I need to see the hem or underside to know for sure.

Just a good rule of thumb for the jersey shoppers out there.

Famous? I've never heard of him before. :blink:

Shush. The Adults are speaking. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing I've noticed, is that if it's not an EDGE 1.0 or 2.0 and the size tag says 7187A it's definitely a fake. Just another small thing to look out for.

Something I just noticed today looking at a friend's knockoff. The fakes are starting to get the MyNHL tags now.

Something I just noticed today looking at a friend's knockoff. The fakes are starting to get the MyNHL tags now.

Friends don't let friends buy knockoffs.

Didn't they have them for a while with no hologram?

Didn't they have them for a while with no hologram?

First time I've seen the MyNHL tag on a knockoff. This one had the hologram though, so I don't know they're managing to fake those. I didn't get a chance to take a picture, but it was there.

This is pissing me off. Why? People on the Canucks forum are actually supporting fake jerseys.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/299287-fake-jerseys-why/

Any Canucks fans here a member of the Canucks forum?

That forum has a combined IQ of 6. I stay as far away from it as possible.

formyhunny I just sent you a PM regarding a message I'd like you to pass along to everyone. I forgot to copy it otherwise I'd post it here too.

Done. :thumbsup:

Although if it get ignored I'm posting it again and again until they shut up.

Hello all my name is Aaron and I am an avid hockey fan who is also avid hockey jersey collector. I am appalled by the comments of posters saying it is alright to rock a fake jersey at hockey games, and sadly cannot understand some of the sentiments taken by fans in this forum. I am not a member of this forum because I did not know of its existence, but I know the member posting this for me through a hockey jersey forum.

I would like to start off saying owning a Hockey Jersey is not a right it is a privilege and owning a jersey does not make you a better fan than someone else. I choose to spend money on expensive game worn hockey jerseys because it is a hobby and passion of mine. I am not here to judge anybody else's wallet because I am a humble college student and work for every penny that I spend, so I know how some people do not have the budget for a replica or retail authentic jersey. That being said if you choose to partake in the privilege to rock your team's colors, it is absolutely wrong to do so in an illegal and unethical way.

It is 100% and absolutely illegal to buy a fake jersey. There are technically "unlicensed" products, but that does not make them right. The NHL owns the copyrights for the manufacturing of jerseys, so using the word "unlicensed" to justify these jersey's existence is cowardly. These are not "fan" jerseys either. Some teams in Europe I know create "fan" jerseys through the team that are a little different than what the actual players wear. These jerseys are 100% legal and usually sold through the team stores. What these knockoff jerseys are, are illegal reproductions of NHL product of inferior quality. They usually are imported from other countries and are made in sweatshops. They have been linked to cancer causing materials and funding illegal organizations (I do not have the link regarding this, and I am not trying to use that excuse to create hyperbole).

While buying a fake jersey doesn't make you a lesser fan, it makes you a criminal. You are supporting illegal counterfitting organizations and look like an idiot by doing so. The better alternative would be to either save up money to buy real licensed product, or buy a cheaper alternative provided by the NHL. I understand the monetary argument, but hiding behind it in justification of this illegality makes you a coward and a fool in my humble opinion. Support your team the legal way, you'll be surprised how well the NHL jerseys hold up despite their high costs. Or sign up for a jersey forum such as http://forums.icejerseys.com or www.jerseycentral.org and look for collectors selling their jerseys at cheaper price. It is annoying to see so many collectors plead ignorance, when affordable hockey jerseys are out there, it just takes effort.

Thank you for hearing me out, and happy collecting."

That's what I said. I can't wait for their responses. God the Mets game needs to really F(&^*** start already I have too much free time.

Here's some responses.

And I be that your "friend" has never downloaded music before you in his life right? Do you know why most people download music? because the argument that it's killing the musicians is ridiculous. Most of proceeds from buying CDs goes to the record companies, retailers. It's killing the record companies, the big millionaires. Wasn't there a thread about the record company suing for trillions of dollars or something ridiculous like that here?? Very small amount actually goes to the artist.

Where do you think that most of the real jersey proceeds go to? To the millionaire hockey players and their owners? come on man, it's going straight to Reebok, Nike who pay miniscule amount of money to the chinese sweatshops. The actual amount of proceeds that goes to hockey organizaion is so small, I hardly think MG loses sleep over it.

This one is from my own post.

Sure, just like I have a self given right to walk on this earth and buy any jersey I feel like. Oh wait some dude that has an interest somewhere along the line told me I can't.

Because big business never anything illegal right!

I say we just start shooting people in the street and in the stands that are wearing fakes. That work for ya?