2010-11 Jersey Design Changes

akteon

There's a great new article up on IceThetics regarding upcoming jersey changes for the 2010 season. Seems like this year he's received a good deal of early confirmation from Reebok on changes (not always designs).

Here's the article: NHL JerseyWatch 2010

Here's a quick synopsis with my comments ...

Anahiem

Ducks will add a new third, personally I loved the old vintage-style 3rd but it doesn't fit their current color scheme.

Buffalo

The slug is dead (I for one will miss it) and they are adding a 40th Anny 3rd that sounds "interesting" (in a bad way).

Calgary

Makes their 30th Anny jersey a permanent 3rd but unfortunately makes it an Edge cut (boo!)

Columbus

Adding a third using their cannon alternate logo - anything that doesn't have a neon-green insect is a win.

Dallas

They are swapping their 3rd and road white jerseys, to the surprise of no one.

Nashville

Preds switching their 3rd to be their new home and adding a companion road white. Not a fan of this.

NY Islanders

Supposedly adding a new white/road jersey. Rumors their vintage 3rd may become their home. I'm indifferent because I like their current home and their 3rd.

NY Rangers

This seemed to come from no where but the Rangers are adding a third, potentionally bring back the classic "NEW YORK" diagonal on their blue jersey. I love this - just wish it wasn't an Edge cut.

Philadelphia

I dunno something orange - I admit I just glossed over it. They boo'd Santa.

Pittsburgh

Tossing out the powder blues (yay!) and adding a new third that may be a darker blue from their past. I'm assuming their style from the late 70's. Is navy blue the new black?

Toronto

Bringing back previous pre-Edge striping and possible shoulder patch - undecided until I see it.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, thanks for posting this. I'm glad the Leafs will bring back the stripes and a shoulder patch. It just isn't the same without those two aspects on their jerseys.

why do teams have to changer jersey designs every ###### year i dont get it?? I never understood when boston changed there road uniforms in the late 90's the classic yellow b and black jersey was so nice. i dont get it just dont get it

Marketing. Make more money. That's the main reason they did the home and away colour swap.

I forgot to say that it is frustrating that they do jersey changes constantly but at the same time, its understandable as jerseys are a way to market the NHL because lets face it, average Joe who's a part time fan who sees a cool jersey and buys it can be turned onto that team more so or onto hockey more.

Marketing. Make more money. That's the main reason they did the home and away colour swap.

In a way it was. Coloured jerseys are far more popular than white jerseys. The money part of the decision was so they could reduce production on whites since white would no longer be the home jersey. The other part of the change was tradition. Coloured jerseys used to be the home jersey until 1970.

Now the NHL needs to make one more decison... Stop requiring one team to wear white! Why can't Toronto wear blue against Montreal wearing red? We don't have black and white TVs anymore. Soccer does fine with colour vs. colour. MLB does it occasionally as well.

As for frequent style changes, get used to it. I'll use soccer as an example again. Every season, teams change either their home or away jersey. There's nothing worn for more than 2 straight seasons anymore. There is a solid market set up and it's worked. Soccer jerseys aren't that much cheaper than hockey jerseys either.

Edited by Van27

I'm really interested to see what the new Leafs will look like especailly the new shoulder patches. I for one welcome new jersey designs and see it as an opportunity to pick up the older styles at a huge discount.

I'm really interested to see what the new Leafs will look like especailly the new shoulder patches. I for one welcome new jersey designs and see it as an opportunity to pick up the older styles at a huge discount.

You are a mind reader!!!

When I read this, all I could think of was this:

Insect_overlords.jpg

:D

It's pretty much money making and marketing as to why teams keep changing logos / designs. Teams think, wow we got X fans to buy this 3rd jersey, so why can't we have X more fans buy a NEW jersey.

I don't understand why the Penguins are going back to ANOTHER blue. I think they should try one of the early 90s black and golds from when the won the cup. Or they should go back to the Sunday Gold jersey from the early to mid 1980s. I really hope they don't go to that 1977 road navy blue. Please! Anything but THAT one! Why not go with the ORIGINAL blue jersey, the one from 1967 with "Pittsburgh" diagonally down the front. Classic, in my opinion. :thumbsup:

(Hence why it's on my favorites to the left.)

Ducks should go to an alternate orange jersey. :lol: It could be the Wildwing of the 2000s. :P:lol:

Stop requiring one team to wear white! Why can't Toronto wear blue against Montreal wearing red? We don't have black and white TVs anymore. Soccer does fine with colour vs. colour. MLB does it occasionally as well.

The problem with that is if the two teams facing each other have the relative same colour. Having the Leafs wear blue while playing the Rangers wearing their blue would be silly. Plus teams use it as intimidation at home games now like seeing a sea of one colour especially when it comes to the playoffs and having the opposing team wearing their whites. Plus soccer or how it should be properly referred to as football does do colour against colour but when Man U plays Liverpool or Chelsea plays Everton, they both don't wear the same colour.

Theres a mini article about road and home jerseys in The Hockey News' Greatest Jersey of All Time issue which people should go and buy. It's pretty interesting. Its been out since geez... September but on stands until June 2010 haha.

Brilliant! great Simpsons reference.

And I just realized how cool it would be for the Rangers to bring back the New York jersey. Always dug on the Rangers jersey and having it say New York gives it a nice hometown touch

How about teams actually try something new. As i have said many times on this board, im sick of the straight up retro jerseys as thirds. If the Nhl wants to make money they need to do a Turn Back the Clock Program. Choose a couple nights a season for TBTC games. Then actually have new thirds.

NHL profits from more marketing with retro jersey plus new thirds, Fans get more jerseys and get to see what they want. If you dont like the jerseys then dont buy them.

Thats my plan and im sticking to it.

i think the alternate JERSEYS for the most part are completely and utterly ridiculous. I have no issue with teams having a third jersey what i have an issue with is when teams who have amazing jerseys change them. The sabres Blue and gold buffalo jersey was very nice . they for some reason changed it to the gay buffalo face and then to the slug. The bruins had no need to change there jersey and decided to create some abominations. The oilers did the same thing till they reverted to the old style jersey and the list goes on and on. The other thing that is ridiculous is allowing a team to have 6 jerseys ike the canadiens have had. I am a montrealerbut i recognize this was nothing more then a cash grab and not a salute to old school canadiens uniforms or the history of the franchise.

The nhl can still market jerseys but listen to the fans!!!! no one wanted the buffalo slug and no one wanted the oilers to change there uniforms but they did anyways. Oh and dont get me started on the newer teams like the ducks or the predators or even phoenix YIKES!!!! BUILD A BRAND BEFORE YOU CHANGE THE ###### LOGO 100 TIMES

Edited by sungod661

Well the Ducks and the Coyotes kind of had to change their logos. Their logos were insanely dated and if they didn't change it, no one would buy their merchandise. That original Coyote? *shutters* Every time I looked at it, I thought I was on acid...

Why can't the Islanders just accept their original jersey is THE ONLY ONE the public will tolerate and just stick with it. How many times do they have to bring it back in some form, only to go away from it and then recreate it as an alternate and them promote it to the primary before the circle of madness ends?

Islanders, look across the river at the Rangers and Devils. Figure it out. Your classic jersey is the one you stick with. Case closed, end of story. <_<

Why can't the Islanders just accept their original jersey is THE ONLY ONE the public will tolerate and just stick with it. How many times do they have to bring it back in some form, only to go away from it and then recreate it as an alternate and them promote it to the primary before the circle of madness ends?

Islanders, look across the river at the Rangers and Devils. Figure it out. Your classic jersey is the one you stick with. Case closed, end of story. <_<

I mean they are the Islanders...

The problem with that is if the two teams facing each other have the relative same colour. Having the Leafs wear blue while playing the Rangers wearing their blue would be silly. Plus teams use it as intimidation at home games now like seeing a sea of one colour especially when it comes to the playoffs and having the opposing team wearing their whites. Plus soccer or how it should be properly referred to as football does do colour against colour but when Man U plays Liverpool or Chelsea plays Everton, they both don't wear the same colour.

I never said teams should only wear their colours. I said that the NHL should stop requiring one team to wear white for every game. Soccer teams only wear their "away" uniforms when they have to.

I never said teams should only wear their colours. I said that the NHL should stop requiring one team to wear white for every game. Soccer teams only wear their "away" uniforms when they have to.

I would love to see the Leafs in their blue play against the Canadians in their red. That's old skool and the NHL should allow it if the teams want to do it. I can imagine how cool it would be to see my hometown Caps wearing red while the Pens wear their black. It would a cool sight to see.

Haha, apparently I've liked every ugly jersey in history...Mighty Ducks, Old Coyotes, Fisherman Islanders...sigh.

There's a great new article up on IceThetics regarding upcoming jersey changes for the 2010 season. Seems like this year he's received a good deal of early confirmation from Reebok on changes (not always designs).

Here's the article: NHL JerseyWatch 2010

Here's a quick synopsis with my comments ...

Anahiem

Ducks will add a new third, personally I loved the old vintage-style 3rd but it doesn't fit their current color scheme.

Buffalo

The slug is dead (I for one will miss it) and they are adding a 40th Anny 3rd that sounds "interesting" (in a bad way).

Calgary

Makes their 30th Anny jersey a permanent 3rd but unfortunately makes it an Edge cut (boo!)

Columbus

Adding a third using their cannon alternate logo - anything that doesn't have a neon-green insect is a win.

Dallas

They are swapping their 3rd and road white jerseys, to the surprise of no one.

Nashville

Preds switching their 3rd to be their new home and adding a companion road white. Not a fan of this.

NY Islanders

Supposedly adding a new white/road jersey. Rumors their vintage 3rd may become their home. I'm indifferent because I like their current home and their 3rd.

NY Rangers

This seemed to come from no where but the Rangers are adding a third, potentionally bring back the classic "NEW YORK" diagonal on their blue jersey. I love this - just wish it wasn't an Edge cut.

Philadelphia

I dunno something orange - I admit I just glossed over it. They boo'd Santa.

Pittsburgh

Tossing out the powder blues (yay!) and adding a new third that may be a darker blue from their past. I'm assuming their style from the late 70's. Is navy blue the new black?

Toronto

Bringing back previous pre-Edge striping and possible shoulder patch - undecided until I see it.

Some of this is fairly accurate, while some is way off.

Some of this is fairly accurate, while some is way off.

I assume you meant the rumored changes listed on Icethetics - or are you saying my opinions are way off? ;)

Either way its a tease to tell someone the information is wrong then not prove their point to why they feel the same. :thumbsup: So lets get a little more information Crywolf, even though you said you couldnt tell. We wont tell anyone.

I, for one, ever since the switch to the "new" design, have always kind of thought the Caps road jersey was an afterthought, made only because they were required to have a white jersey to wear on the road, and either want it redone or done away with. I also think it was a bit silly-looking when the Caps went into Pittsburgh in the playoffs last season and they were having a "white-out" for the fans, but the Pens wore their black jerseys since they were the home team. In that case, the Pens looked ridiculous and should have worn white with the Caps in red even though the Caps were the road team. When you go to a college football game or basketball game and they have a "gold rush" or "black-out" for the fans, you don't expect the team to be wearing white, and they don't- they wear whatever color matches the T-shirt given out to fans that night. The Caps extremely successful all-encompassing "Rock The Red" marketing campaign to get fans to come to games in red and buy red merchandise worked so well because the team wears red on the ice at home. It worked so well that as a result, the baseball Nationals added red jerseys and pretty much based their "NatsTown" marketing campaign on it.

I assume you meant the rumored changes listed on Icethetics - or are you saying my opinions are way off? ;)

I was referring to the rumored changes :)

Either way its a tease to tell someone the information is wrong then not prove their point to why they feel the same. :thumbsup: So lets get a little more information Crywolf, even though you said you couldnt tell. We wont tell anyone.

I really can't divulge any information - as we cherish our solid relationship with Reebok. I can give a bit of a teaser though: The proposed Penguins third is quite a radical design. I have a feeling it will generate strong opinions in either a "love it / hate it" position.