2010-11 Jersey Design Changes

akteon

Reebok never said that they couldn't do horizontal striping. And if they did, then there's no way that Anaheim, Boston, Calgary, Carolina, Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, Montreal, New Jersey, both NY teams, San Jose, and Vancouver would have rolled them out in 2007 with horizontal striping on the body.

Teams were given the option of doing a complete redesign of their uniforms from top to bottom. The fact that a lot of teams were more interested in making something that looks like a practice jersey isn't really the fault of Reebok. Don't forget that Reebok wasn't around when the Islanders went all Gorton's Fisherman and Los Angeles rolled out the Burger King, so let's not underestimate the power of a boardroom full of pinheads.

Actually, Reebok did say that in an article. It was very early in the unveiling process of the Edge jerseys. It may have been in 06-07 when Buffalo

had the edge design but in a 6100 silhouette. I clearly recall reading it and knew it was b.s. I would have to dig up the article to clarify, because I may be paraphrasing.

It's a partnership and Reebok is responsible for the designs presented to the teams to choose from. So it starts with Reebok coming with a terrible design, ulitmately the teams fault for choosing one.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

new nucks third? if so. I like.

2em1m3o.png

These are fantastic. I'm not even a Nucks fan and I want one. Love the colors and the striping. The 40th Anniversary patch is the icing on the cake.

These are fantastic. I'm not even a Nucks fan and I want one. Love the colors and the striping. The 40th Anniversary patch is the icing on the cake.

I've got the 1970-1971 Canucks Mitchell and Ness home white jersey and I am very surprised how close it really is to these new ones the Canucks have shown us. At first glance, I thought they were identical, but I looked a little closer an could tell that they are obviously EDGE jerseys and have the EDGE modifications to them. I honestly believe the color scheme of navy blue, green, and white works REALLY WELL with these jerseys. And the fact the 40th anniversary patch incorporates those colors tops it off like you said.

Teams were given the option of doing a complete redesign of their uniforms from top to bottom. The fact that a lot of teams were more interested in making something that looks like a practice jersey isn't really the fault of Reebok.

That's not really true, there was a lot of pressure on the teams to redesign their jerseys. When asked about it, Lou Lamoriello said at a Devils fan club meeting something like, "You have no idea what we had to go through to keep our jerseys." It was not just up to the teams. Also, you can easily tell Reebok had a lot to do with the designs just by looking at how many teams have the exact same jerseys just with different colors...Lightning, Senators, and Penguins are all the same, as are the Oilers, Panthers, and Predators away jerseys. There's no way those teams independently thought up the exact same jersey design.

That's not really true, there was a lot of pressure on the teams to redesign their jerseys. When asked about it, Lou Lamoriello said at a Devils fan club meeting something like, "You have no idea what we had to go through to keep our jerseys." It was not just up to the teams. Also, you can easily tell Reebok had a lot to do with the designs just by looking at how many teams have the exact same jerseys just with different colors...Lightning, Senators, and Penguins are all the same, as are the Oilers, Panthers, and Predators away jerseys. There's no way those teams independently thought up the exact same jersey design.

That's understandable because, knowing Reebok, they would likely not put a jersey on the market that they didn't approve of. How lame is that? The team should have the rights to putting whatever logo / design on the jersey they want. Especially for teams that have had the SAME design for years - Detroit, New Jersey, Montreal, etc. Another point that shows how STUPID Reebok and merchandising in the NHL has recently become. :glare:

I did some freelance for Reebok and when I saw an early design for the Habs red jersey and the stripes

did not go all the way around to the back, I told them 'you can't do that.' They will riot in the streets if you change that'.

they just looked at me and said "really ??", just dumbfounded. I told them , you don't take the Yankee pinstripes off and you

don't mess with the Habs red jersey. They had no clue what they were doing, no knowledge of the game, the teams

or respecting the history and tradition.

As far as the Canucks jerseys go, Canucks.com specifically states that the jerseys will not have a name on the back. Names have been required in the NHL since the 70's but the Maple Leafs wore a jersey in 1996-97 that lacked names and because these are only being worn a few times I'm sure they got some kind of exception.

• 1 month later...

I spotted this on PuckDaddy and IceThetics ... the new Buffalo 3rds and road jerseys have been leaked.

2879378-8454398-thumbnail.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1283902816001

2879378-8454363-thumbnail.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1283902572074

2879378-8454463-thumbnail.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1283903084055

I kinda like the 3rds. As for the new whites, I personally think they need to lose the Edge piping and grey underarms and while they are at it go from navy back to royal.

I am in the minority though that I will miss the slug.

I spotted this on PuckDaddy and IceThetics ... the new Buffalo 3rds and road jerseys have been leaked.

2879378-8454398-thumbnail.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1283902816001

2879378-8454363-thumbnail.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1283902572074

2879378-8454463-thumbnail.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1283903084055

I kinda like the 3rds. As for the new whites, I personally think they need to lose the Edge piping and grey underarms and while they are at it go from navy back to royal.

I am in the minority though that I will miss the slug.

I love the whites. The alternates look too cheesy because of the wordmark. Why can't they just go back to the early 90's sweaters? Those were beauts.

Not bad in my opinion. I'm not a fan of the alternate blue, though. I just don't like the "Buffalo" script on the front with the miniature logo. Wasn't this jersey supposed to be to commemorate the Sabres 40th anniversary? The colors fulfill that, in my opinion, but not the logo. Personally, for this, the Sabres should have went back to the alternate blue they used to wear before the EDGE jersey era, and made that one their third. I would imagine the Sabres would wear royal blue helmets with their thirds now?

As for the road white, I like it. :thumbsup: Matches well with the home navy and I like how the Buffaslug is now, and hopefully officially retired. I agree with akteon that there needs to be a darker gray under the arms and the EDGE piping needs to disappear. Other than that, nice jersey! B)

Wasn't this jersey supposed to be to commemorate the Sabres 40th anniversary?

It's hard to see in the pic, but the logo underneath the Buffalo wordmark has "19 70" on it, for the 40th anniversary. Very subtle, but I like it compared to some of the over the top anniversary patches we've seen recently. Plus, as they said on IceThetics the jersey could be used in future seasons without alteration because it doesn't say "40" or have "1970-2010" etc.

I'm just glad the Slug is gone from the uniforms. Although it does remain on their official style sheet as an alternate logo for 2010-11, why??

• Alternate: I like the use of a script that has a historical reference, I don't like the striping pattern

that the Sabres never wore, they could have gone with a more 1970 thin three stripe pattern. It will be interesting to see if they go with one or two color numbers.

• Away: can there be anymore bedazzled junk on this thing? What a mess. Remove the pit stains, the silver piping and make the collar blue,

then you would have great looking jersey. Widen that girly piping along the shoulders, it's too wimpy.

I also wish they would have the alternate color striping on the hem and sleeves, like the original whites.

• Away: can there be anymore bedazzled junk on this thing? What a mess. Remove the pit stains, the silver piping and make the collar blue,

then you would have great looking jersey. Widen that girly piping along the shoulders, it's too wimpy.

I also wish they would have the alternate color striping on the hem and sleeves, like the original whites.

Yes there CAN be more bedazzled junk on it- they'll have the lame volleyball numbers on the front, too.

It's hard to see in the pic, but the logo underneath the Buffalo wordmark has "19 70" on it, for the 40th anniversary. Very subtle, but I like it compared to some of the over the top anniversary patches we've seen recently. Plus, as they said on IceThetics the jersey could be used in future seasons without alteration because it doesn't say "40" or have "1970-2010" etc.

I see what you're saying and I guess it opens the door for using it as a future alternate. I don't understand why the Sabres don't go with a third of their old black, red, and white jerseys with the goat head. Maybe they'll do that in the future. But I completely understand their third for 2010-2011. No complaints about the reasoning, just a few about how it looks. B)

Those are really nice, I had pictured in my head that the blue would have been lighter and I thought I read the white striping was suppose to be an off-white. Could just be the lighting in the photo too.

Everything I've read describes the white as "vintage" white ... so I agree it'll probably look much better in person.

I can't wait to see the official patch. It will probably be a while, they've already made Avery pull that picture from his personal site.

I like the Rangers new alternates. I think they will pair well with their standard home blue jersey. The "New York" diagonal lettering makes for a classic, vintage look and feel. Even though the jersey styles of today are "modernized" the best teams can do these days is model classic looks or bring them back. Credit to the Rangers on this one. I think this idea is much, much better than a remake of the "Lady Liberty" third jersey.

I can't seem to be able to check out the new Sabres home jerseys, but their away and alternate jerseys, and the Rangers new alternate jersey are all very nice in my opinion. Maybe five years ago I would have thought they were meh but after seeing the abominations that were bestowed upon us at the inception of the Edge program, anything that has horizontal stripes and actually looks like a hockey jersey is beautiful to me now.

I can't seem to be able to check out the new Sabres home jerseys..

The Sabres "new" home jerseys are their alternates from last year.

p4970218dt.jpg

How Come the Sabres never look happy when showing off new jerseys. I cant wait to hear all the complaints about improper customization on the Buffalo Alternate. :lol: