Does anybody wear their jerseys?

St. Patrick

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wear my jerseys, and I've only mucked up one...but I've done so much to it lol.

My first Edge jersey was my SCF Giroux. When I first had it customized, the sleeve numbers were wrong and so was the nameplate, so I had them both replaced. Sleeves left a bit of residue, but no biggie. BUT, the following has happened to this jersey:

-First day I wore it, my fingernail was I guess a bit abrasive and pulled a 2" pull.

-Wore it to school. Got caught in hurricane like winds and rain, which blew mud all over my jersey.

-Wore it to school again, walking out of my parking lot, the gate closed on my shoulder, marring the shoulder a bit and covering it in a dark substance.

-Still have no idea how this happened, but a black pen exploded on the front. I don't even use black pens.

-Wore it to a Flyers/Bruins game, some Bruins fan (after I heckled him, but not mean at all, just booing), decided to grow a pair, run up, and spike my mountain dew from my hand, exploding all over my jersey.

-Washed it, thread from the sleeve got caught on something and pulled out literally 1' worth of thread from the sleeve. Not a pull, just pulled a seam.

This thing is cursed. I've stopped caring about damage to it and nothing has happened since. It somehow still looks good...I guess I clean it well.

I always wear my jerseys, and I've only mucked up one...but I've done so much to it lol.

My first Edge jersey was my SCF Giroux. When I first had it customized, the sleeve numbers were wrong and so was the nameplate, so I had them both replaced. Sleeves left a bit of residue, but no biggie. BUT, the following has happened to this jersey:

-First day I wore it, my fingernail was I guess a bit abrasive and pulled a 2" pull.

-Wore it to school. Got caught in hurricane like winds and rain, which blew mud all over my jersey.

-Wore it to school again, walking out of my parking lot, the gate closed on my shoulder, marring the shoulder a bit and covering it in a dark substance.

-Still have no idea how this happened, but a black pen exploded on the front. I don't even use black pens.

-Wore it to a Flyers/Bruins game, some Bruins fan (after I heckled him, but not mean at all, just booing), decided to grow a pair, run up, and spike my mountain dew from my hand, exploding all over my jersey.

-Washed it, thread from the sleeve got caught on something and pulled out literally 1' worth of thread from the sleeve. Not a pull, just pulled a seam.

This thing is cursed. I've stopped caring about damage to it and nothing has happened since. It somehow still looks good...I guess I clean it well.

:blink: goddamn....guess all blackhawk fans around the world should kiss your behind, your jersey is for sure the reason why the flyers lost in the finals....... :lol:

:blink: goddamn....guess all blackhawk fans around the world should kiss your behind, your jersey is for sure the reason why the flyers lost in the finals....... :lol:

Lol, it's absurd dude. And guess when it came in? Right before Game 3. Gah.

Lol, it's absurd dude. And guess when it came in? Right before Game 3. Gah.

###### send that jersey to the HHOF. Those 1.0's sure take a beating!

When I first started collecting game worn jerseys I thought I would never wear them out.

I have my retail authentics to wear to games.

I have to say my attitude has changed and I rarely wear anything but gamers.

I have some I will never wear out, but the majority of mine I will wear to games.

I spent all that money to enjoy my jerseys and "just having them" isn't enough for me.

The ones I won't wear out I will eventually display in my home.

I guess my attitude changed when I saw so many other game worn collectors wearing their jerseys to games.

Also the line I read somewhere about players using the jerseys for foot mats kinda made me realize we aren't talking

about lace gowns here...they are hockey jerseys!

They are spilled on, spit on, sweated on, bled on, snotted on, stretched, pulled, ripped and teared.

What are you going to do to the jersey that hasn't already been done?

I can see where you're coming from, but wouldn't doing something to a gamer that wasn't done to it in a game, or even in the locker room, ruin the value of it if you go to resell it?

Good point and it should effect the value but how would we know? I guess you take a risk buying an older game worn jersey. You really cannot tell if some of the wear is from game use or from someone wearing or playing hockey in it. Unless you buy a gamer directly from MeiGray, Steiner, or directly from the team you take that chance. I am a firm believer that if you wear a game worn jersey it should be disclosed to the buyer. But who is actually going to be that honest? It's a crap shoot with the older gamers and any gamer obtained second hand loa or not.

I can see where you're coming from, but wouldn't doing something to a gamer that wasn't done to it in a game, or even in the locker room, ruin the value of it if you go to resell it?

I am no authority on the subject, just throwing out my two cents.

With few exceptions, the game worn jerseys are washed before made available.

So if an accident happened and you needed to wash the jersey, I don't see a problem.

You aren't going to wash out the wear on the jersey.

Now if you are buying your gamers with the intent of selling them down the road I absolutely would not wear them.

Then you do run the risk of damaging your "investment".

I didn't get into this hobby to flip jerseys, so that isn't an issue for me personally.

Many of the gamers I have purchased I did so with full knowledge that they were worn occasionally, I had no problems with it.

I am a firm believer that if you wear a game worn jersey it should be disclosed to the buyer.

I completely agree with this.

However, when you buy jerseys at auctions you have no idea if the jersey was worn out or not.

The same can be said of purchasing from Meigray. They can authenticate a jersey, photomatch it and

register it in their system. But there is no way they can tell if the original owner of the jersey wore

it for a couple of hours to a hockey game.

I'm not saying that I got in to gamers with the intent to sell them, but most people say that they buy a jersey and they're never gonna sell it, until something bigger and better comes along and the only way to "upgrade" is to sell what was previously on your no-sell list. Obviously you can photomatch (or try) wear or marks on a jersey, but if there's something extra there that you can't photomatch who is to say that it didn't happen in a game, and who is to say that it didn't happen when a person like you or me wore it somewhere?

I'm not saying that I got in to gamers with the intent to sell them, but most people say that they buy a jersey and they're never gonna sell it, until something bigger and better comes along and the only way to "upgrade" is to sell what was previously on your no-sell list. Obviously you can photomatch (or try) wear or marks on a jersey, but if there's something extra there that you can't photomatch who is to say that it didn't happen in a game, and who is to say that it didn't happen when a person like you or me wore it somewhere?

Good and valid questions...to which I have no answers.

I guess that is where integrity, trust and doing as much research as possible comes into play.

That is my point precisely. I would like to think that all of my gw jerseys went directly from the players back to my collection but it doesn't seem logical. I know some of them were probably worn to a game or around someone's house and I am ok with that.

When I collected retail authentics, I would get them home and be terrified to wear them because I thought that I might damage them in some way.

With the gw jerseys I figured hey I cant mess those up any more than they already are. Then I find out that wearing them is discouraged by most collectors.

I find that a previously used/worn retail authentic is the way to go for me and that is what I will wear to games etc. No worries.

Then I find out that wearing them is discouraged by most collectors.

Some yes, some no.

Most of the game worn collectors I have met personally,(granted only a handful), do not have any other jerseys but game worns.

I'm not a collector. I buy jerseys to wear. I wear an authentic to games. I wear replicas I've picked up cheap to play hockey.

Like an Islanders jersey? :lol:

It wasn't a knock, I wish the Flyers' would do such things, and I am already planning on taking a trip to pick up some cheap Phils scrub preseason gamers at their holiday sale. My thing is, I would buy an entry level gamer, I would wear it. I buy some of the gamers to my favorite childhood players and most of those are going straight into frames. Not going to chance messing up a Lindros/LeClair/Primeau gamer, but wouldn't think twice about wearing, if I won or purchased, say a Denis Tolpeko game worn jersey.

We wear our gamers to games all the time. We just make sure to be as careful as possible about food and drink spillage.

Jerseys are about the only thing that I collect so it's nice to show them off occasionally.

The only one I currently have that probably will not see another game is the Vintage Kings from last years season opener in Vancouver. It's the only true one-of-a-kind I own so I don't want it messed up.

I only buy jerseys to wear them (and I only buy authentics). I've never been afraid to wear them whether its been at a bar, a game, or my own house.

I remember sophomore year in high school I wore a hockey jersey nearly every day the first semester. Nowadays I pretty much just wear them to games or to a bar if I'm watching a big game. I'll wear them at home if it's a big game on TV. And since I have a collection (albeit smaller since I whittled it down), my friends usually ask to borrow a jersey when we go to a game. Although, with them I give them the ones I wouldn't mind if something happened to. LOL!

Correct, I will also bum out jerseys to pals but it will be my edge 1.0 with Sharp customization and Finals patch. Jersey like that is still easy to replace. They are not wearing the TBTC Barber Pole.

I honestly do not worry about it too much. I only really wear them to games or at bars for the game. Somebody spills on you, that is why Oxy Clean was invented.

I usually wear my authentics around the house or when I go out. If I am going to a restaurant or bar I try to be EXTREMELY careful with my jersey. I usually take it off when eating or I will strategically place napkins so that if I accidentally spill, the jersey will not feel the effects. At the moment I am playing with the idea of buying a "beater" jersey, a replica that I would wear out and not really care if it gets food debris or stains on it. Anyone else do this?

I am playing with the idea of buying a "beater" jersey, a replica that I would wear out and not really care if it gets food debris or stains on it. Anyone else do this?

*insert lewd joke here*

*insert second, almost as funny joke here*

*insert final joke here because we have time for it*

I really don't necessarily have a beater jersey to wear to games. I just wear what I would normally wear.

They are not wearing the TBTC Barber Pole.

Oddly enough, that's the one I loan out most often as I wear it the least, it's a 48 when I prefer 52, and it's darker colored which should't really show stains. For years that was considered my 'girlfriend' jersey because I'd always allow my girlfriends to wear it when I took them to a game.

http://images56.fotki.com/v124/photos/1/51621/9409627/CupLick-vi.jpg

http://images112.fotki.com/v386/photos/5/51621/4247351/IMG_23121-vi.jpg

http://images59.fotki.com/v1593/photos/5/51621/4247351/hawks-vi.jpg