2011 Winter Classic Double Dip

According to TSN there will be two outdoor games next season, the Caps vs the Pens at Heinze field on Jan 1st and the Habs vs the Flames at McMahon Stadium.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=322828

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette confirms the Pens part and says Bettman will announce during a press conference today in Chicago.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10147/1061265-100.stm#ixzz0pAW2kvNc

According to TSN there will be two outdoor games next season, the Caps vs the Pens at Heinze field on Jan 1st and the Habs vs the Flames at McMahon Stadium.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=322828

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette confirms the Pens part and says Bettman will announce during a press conference today in Chicago.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10147/1061265-100.stm#ixzz0pAW2kvNc

new jerseys you think? or the same old baby blue.

I definitely think the Pens will introduce another jersey for the WC. Personally I'd love to see the Sunday Gold come back and stop with this blue non-sense.

82Gold_display_image.jpg?1269020361

If they feel compelled to stick with blue, go with their inaugural jersey.

67home_display_image.jpg?1269019461

As for the Caps, there's really only one choice and it's a good one. I'd love it if they could wear red, but being the away team, I bet the Pens will take the opportunity to wear a non-white jersey since they tend to sell better.

94-95-hunter-front.jpg

I'm kinda "meh" on the Flames and Habs. The Habs have a ton of style to choose from, but have worn most during their never-ending 100th Anny celebration.

Are you kidding me? Do you think? $$$ Thats all professional sports leagues think about. Of course they will have "new" jerseys...REVENUE... The Penguins introduce new jerseys every time Mario has a bowel movement... Sorry 'bout being so graphic but this is the direction sports are heading. Not that I don't like the old throwbacks...I just dont like the fact that the "Winter Classic" patch pretty much doubles the price of a team jersey at the venue...So the Pens have 3 jerseys now, 4 next year, drop one style the following and introduce 2 new styles the next...No wonder nobody can afford season tickets anymore. They've spent so much keeping in style!

Bettman makes the official announcement: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=322914

I found this annoying:

"We are excited to participate in not only the 2011 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic but also are pleased that the NHL has agreed to play a future outdoor game in the D.C. area," Capitals owner Ted Leonsis said.

I get the ratings thing with the Pens/Caps. I think it sucks that the Pens have been in two of the four classics, but now they are promising to let the Caps host it "in the next few years". What about all of the other teams? Spread it out a bit.

I'm not just complaining because the Rangers haven't been in one. I know due to the size of the market there will be a New York winter classic with the Rangers/Isle or Rangers/Devils sooner than later. I think it sucks for some of the smaller market teams - sure an outdoor winter game in Florida between the Lightning and Panthers wouldn't get national ratings, but they still deserve a shot. I think the Avs vs. the Wild would be great. They move the draft and the all-star game around somewhat fairly, why not do the same with the Winter Classic?

• 2 weeks later...

So are both of them being referred to as a "Winter Classic", or just the game in Pittsburgh?

So are both of them being referred to as a "Winter Classic", or just the game in Pittsburgh?

The Pens Caps is the "Winter Classic"

and the Flames Habs is the "Heritage Classic"

The Heritage classic if you recall was the name of the initial Oilers Habs game.

I think it sucks for some of the smaller market teams - sure an outdoor winter game in Florida between the Lightning and Panthers wouldn't get national ratings, but they still deserve a shot. I think the Avs vs. the Wild would be great. They move the draft and the all-star game around somewhat fairly, why not do the same with the Winter Classic?

Couldn't agree with you less on this.

It's the Winter Classic, not the Outdoor Classic. The name implies snow, cold weather, outdoor pond hockey, etc. There's just no way it works anywhere south of Washington (and even that is iffy). There're less than a dozen American teams (and it will always be two American teams) that could realistically host such a game.

I'm sorry, but this idea that everyone deserves to play in a Winter Classic is bunk. It's the same reason you won't see Pirates/Reds on opening night, and why it's always Lakers/Cavs on Xmas. It's more an event than a game, for the marquee teams. Besides, what have Florida or Tampa even done to deserve such a game? Embarrassingly low attendance, a history of mismanagement? Get used to the WC being in either Boston, Philly, NY, Buffalo, Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis or Denver, cause it probably won't ever be anywhere else. Maybe Columbus or St. Louis, I guess...but still...

Edited by Robert Ullman

The Pens Caps is the "Winter Classic"

and the Flames Habs is the "Heritage Classic"

The Heritage classic if you recall was the name of the initial Oilers Habs game.

Ah, yes... makes sense. Thanks!

Paul

www.PensJerseys.com

Edited by Paul

Word is that the Pens are not going to be wearing the current baby blue uniforms again and will be introducing a new 3rd jersey next season. I have heard that it is likely also going to be a blue throwback, possibly in the late-70s style. I would assume that they would be wearing that at the Winter Classic as well -- or perhaps even introduce it there. I hope they don't introduce two new throwbacks next year... that would be a little much.

Paul

www.PensJerseys.com

Edited by Paul

Word is that the Pens are not going to be wearing the current baby blue uniforms again and will be introducing a new 3rd jersey next season. I have heard that it is likely also going to be a blue throwback, possibly in the late-70s style. I would assume that they would be wearing that at the Winter Classic as well -- or perhaps even introduce it there. I hope they don't introduce two new throwbacks next year... that would be a little much.

Paul

www.PensJerseys.com

According to this, the Pens are holding off getting rid of the baby blues for atleast one more season.

http://www.icethetics.info/blog/2010/4/21/pens-sticking-with-powder-blues.html

Akteon is correct, the current Penguins baby blues they wore for the previous two season are going to be retired for 2010-2011.

Based on other material I have read, the new Penguins third is going to be a darker blue jersey, not another powder blue. I also understand that jersey will not be unveiled until the Winter Classic. But here's what confuses me: Are the Penguins only going to have ONE new jersey next season? Will their new third ALSO be their Winter Classic jersey?

Personally, I would like to see them have two new jerseys for next season, one solely for the WC and one just as a third. I agree with Akteon, I would LOVE the Pens to bring back the Sunday Golds, which were eventually their home jersey for a few seasons before they were retired after the preseason in 1984-1985 - right in time for Mario's arrival.

My guess for the new third would likely be the Penguins 1977- Jan. 1980 road blue jersey, the last blue style jersey they wore before switching to black and gold.

My guess for the new third would likely be the Penguins 1977- Jan. 1980 road blue jersey, the last blue style jersey they wore before switching to black and gold.

For those interested, here is a link to a pic on my website that shows the jersey style that Sluggermatt15 is referencing:

http://www.pensjerseys.com/gameworns/Penguins77-78RoadMalone.html

Paul

www.PensJerseys.com

It is my best guess the Penguins would use the 1977-1980 navy blue road jerseys as their new third.

Penguins09.png

But I could be wrong. They might, and hopefully will, select a jersey they wore in the mid 70s when they were transitioning from powder blue to the navy blue. My favorite blue Penguins jersey of all time was worn on the road from 1975-1977, right before they switched to the navy blue:

Penguins07.png

Plus, I think the blue pants and blue helmets go well with this style jersey. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

I wasn't aware those have been out for a few weeks now....I just found them....

THat being said, if the patch on the jersey is accuarate, they're calling it the Heritage Classic this year?

I thought the NHL was selling this yearly game as the winter classic? Isn't this cannibalizing the original Oilers/Habs game?

THat being said, if the patch on the jersey is accuarate, they're calling it the Heritage Classic this year?

I thought the NHL was selling this yearly game as the winter classic? Isn't this cannibalizing the original Oilers/Habs game?

2879378-7885925-thumbnail.jpg

The 2011 Winter Classic is the Pens/Caps at Heinz field.

2879378-7996918-thumbnail.jpg

The 2011 Heritage Classic is the Flames/Habs at McMahon Stadium.

I wonder if they will continue to have both going forward.

I wasn't aware those have been out for a few weeks now....I just found them....

This is what the NHL is doing

WC = USA

HC = Canada

2879378-7885925-thumbnail.jpg

The 2011 Winter Classic is the Pens/Caps at Heinz field.

2879378-7996918-thumbnail.jpg

The 2011 Heritage Classic is the Flames/Habs at McMahon Stadium.

I wonder if they will continue to have both going forward.

Geez talk about being out of the loop....I wasn't aware of the two games, thought there was just one.....

I'm assuming the Heritage Classic will also coincide with the annual Hockey Day In Canada braodcast.

I just wonder how long they'll keep the HC going ... not offense to my Canadian cohorts, but there's just not as many teams if the HC is kept Canada only.

I just wonder how long they'll keep the HC going ... not offense to my Canadian cohorts, but there's just not as many teams if the HC is kept Canada only.

As long as I get a Senators Heritage classic game then I will be happy.

I don't think there should be a Heritage Classic game. There should just be the yearly winter classic, which is a great idea.

The heritage classic seems like the red-headed stepchild of the equation here. Is this something happening every 7 years?

Plus the Heritage Classic is remembered as the Oilers/Habs game, leave it at that....

Hopefully that will be motivation to get more teams back to Canada. Hopefully in Winnipeg and Quebec city.

Montreal will wear their current away (white) jersey which will also contain the 2011 NHL Heritage Classic patch on the front, right chest. Modifications to the player numbers on the jersey will reflect the numbering color combinations worn on their white jerseys throughout their history, specifically how the numbers appeared during both the 1986 and 1989 Stanley Cup Final series against the Calgary Flames.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=535487

So the Habs Jersey will be the current white RBK Edge jersey with just the numbers being changed (removal of the inner white band) and the patch added... Correct me if I am wrong... but boring is that...?

I would have preferred something like this:

The 1911-1912 or 1935-1938 ones...

I understand that the Habs played the Flames wearing the chosen jersey but still...