NHL tags and tails guide

I've been compiling images of just about every single tag and hem logo ever worn by an NHL team in the history. Hopefully, these can assist any with questions of the era of their jersey! I'm having a little more trouble with the tags though so I will add them as I find more of them. We'll start with the tails though. Let me know if I missed anything!

NOTE: Not all teams wore one brand of jersey at any given year up until 1989 when CCM bought all contracts. Starter(became Pro Player in 1999-2000) and Nike joined in 95-96 and 96-97 respectively and then CCM bought them all again in 2000.

Sandow Sport Knit

1979-80 until 1982-83: Sandow SK logo screened onto right side of tail

197980sandowsk-vi.jpg

Maska

1979-80: small Maska logo embroidered on very edge of right tail(front and back)

197980maska1-vi.jpg

Canadiens wear set with Maska logo on both sides of front tail

http://www.dropthepucks.com/sotg/images/M%20T%20New/75-76%20Mon%20hm%20Nyrop%20frt.JPG

1979-80 and 1980-81: small embroidered Maska logo on right tail

198081maska-vi.jpg

1981-82 until 1983-84: slightly larger embroidered Maska logo positioned more towards center tail

(Some teams wear Maska logo more centered during this time)

198283maska-vi.jpg

H.S.I.

1981-82 and 1982-83(?)(PHI only): http://images53.fotki.com/v1609/photos/2/255242/8580490/1980sHSI-vi.jpg

Nike

1982-83: (EDM only)Nike wordmark over swoosh screened onto right tail

198283nike-vi.jpg

1983-84 until 1988-89: (EDM only)Nike wordmark over swoosh screened onto left tail

198384nike-vi.jpg

1996-97 until 1998-99: (Nike swoosh logo and orange NHL shield embroidered onto right tail

199697nike-vi.jpg

Pedersons

1983-84(MIN only) and 1984-85(NYI only): Pedersons wordmark embroidered onto right side of tail

http://www.dropthepucks.com/Fredericktown/images/Minn/Hartsburgphotomatch.JPG

Rawlings

1984-85(STL only): Rawlings script wordmark screened onto right side of tail

198485rawlings-vi.jpg

Eagle

1984-85 and 1985-86(PHI only): Eagle script wordmark embroidered onto right side of tail

198586eagle-vi.jpg

Cooper

1985-86 and 1986-87(PIT only): Cooper logo embroidered onto right side of tail

198586cooper-vi.jpg

To be continued...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starter

1995-96: (COL only)Starter S-star and wordmark logo and orange NHL shield inside individual boxes embroidered onto right side of tail

199596starter-vi.jpg

1996-97: (select teams)Starter S-star and wordmark logo and orange NHL shield embroidered onto right side of tail

199697starter-vi.jpg

1997-98 until 1998-99: (select teams; home jerseys)S-star logo and orange NHL shield embroidered onto right side of tail

199798starterhome-vi.jpg

1997-98 until 1998-99: (select teams; road jerseys)Starter wordmark and orange NHL shield embroidered onto right side of tail

199798starterroad-vi.jpg

Bauer

1998-99: (NSH only)Bauer wordmark and orange NHL shield embroidered onto right side of tail

199899bauer-vi.jpg

Pro Player

1999-2000: (select teams)Pro Player logo and silver NHL shield embroidered onto right side of tail

19992000pp-vi.jpg

CCM

1982-83 until 1985-86: CCM logo patch sewn onto right side of tail(some patches had ® on right side)

198485ccmpatch1-vi.jpg

1983-84: (select teams)CCM logo screened onto right side of tail(actually Sandow SK jerseys minus tail logo)

198384ccmscreened-vi.jpg

1986-87 until 1988-89(select teams until 1989-90): CCM logo embroidered onto right tail in different colors for different teams)

198687ccm-vi.jpg

1989-90(first-half): CCM three-block logo embroidered onto right tail

198990ccm-vi.jpg

still continued...

1989-90(second-half) until 1998-99: CCM three-block logo and orange NHL shield embroidered onto right tail(at some point; perhaps 1994 or 1995, the CCM font gets slightly bolder)

199091ccm-vi.jpg

1999-2000: CCM three-block logo and silver NHL shield embroidered onto right tail

19992000ccm-vi.jpg

2000-01 until 2003-04: CCM/KOHO patch sewn onto back of neck and silver NHL shield embroidered onto right tail

200001ccm-vi.jpg

200001koho-vi.jpg

200001ccmkoho-vi.jpg

2003-04: (CCM Vintage jerseys only)CCM patch sewn and orange NHL shield embroidered onto right tail

200304ccmv-vi.jpg

Reebok

2005-06 until 2006-07: Reebok vector logo patch sewn onto back of neck and silver NHL shield patch sewn onto right tail

reebok-vi.jpg

200506rbkshield-vi.jpg

2007-08 until current: Reebok vector logo patch sewn onto back of neck and silver NHL shield patch sewn onto neck piece

reebok-vi.jpg

200708rbkneck-vi.jpg

• 1 month later...

Could we add the inside neckline tags to this thread? It would come in handy when buying jerseys off ebay.

• 1 month later...

I thought I had an anomaly with a '92 Ultrafil Maple Leafs Clark I own, done by Gerry Cosby NY, that features a late 80s ccm block logo, but also a '90 (and beyond) NHL shield embroidered right beside it. I figured maybe it was a NOS jersey that had been kicking around in the backroom for a few years and then had the shield added after the fact, but after some extensive digging, I also came across a few buffalo sabres jerseys (from game worn auction sites), as well as the attached pic of an '88 Messier that features the same old, small-block ccm logo, with the NHL shield just beside it. The confusing part is that I can understand if an older jersey had been sitting around at ccm, and later had been dug out and customized after the fact, but the Messier pictured is a true '88, not just because of the anniversary patch, but because it is a rare mesh ccm that they only produced that one year to replace the NIKEs. We also see a lot of NIKEs recycled with the logos covered up, but that's another story.

Although I can't explain my leafs or the sabres I've seen, other than to think it's simple NOS, another question comes up with the Oilers jerseys; were they ever produced prior to 89-90 with an NHL shield? I know by the end of 89-90, Bruins v Oilers, most if not all nhl teams had adopted the ccm seperated big block logo w/ the nhl shield, but why are we able to find gamer oilers jerseys that are seemingly recycled from the 88-89 season, such as these two currently being sold on ebay right now -

http://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

both are ccm airknit, and both have the shoulder adhesive covered up where the 88-89 patches were from the previous season...although we can't see an nhl logo on the lamb, we can see it on the Maciver, and on both the written set date also indicates they're from the first part of the season...

Any insight on this, jersey experts?

blink.gif

post-1089-128228108518_thumb.jpg

Well, first off, those gamers are mine. :D

In 1988, CCM purchased the league contract for all the game jerseys and, as far as I know, the retailed jerseys as well. The only team that didn't make the switch was the Oilers, who were still in their contract with Nike for one more year. From what I've heard, CCM made up all the Oilers jerseys for the 1988-89 season complete with the 10th anny patch before realizing that they would still be wearing Nike that year. So, the CCMs got stored away, the Oilers wore Nike in 88-89, then ended up wearing the very same CCM jerseys from 88-89 for the 1989-90 season and even beyond that. The patches were removed and the glue was covered up with fabric.

That explains the gamers...now here's my attempt at the retail jerseys. Bare in mind, I don't know this for a fact but it kinda works out so here we go! Once CCM took over the retail aspect from all other brands, they probably just either rebranded Nike's old stock, OR they simply reproduced their design for simplicity and consistency once they found out about Edmonton's inability to get out of their contract.

That's what I think may have happened. It might be right or it might not be.

Well, first off, those gamers are mine. biggrin.gif

In 1988, CCM purchased the league contract for all the game jerseys and, as far as I know, the retailed jerseys as well. The only team that didn't make the switch was the Oilers, who were still in their contract with Nike for one more year. From what I've heard, CCM made up all the Oilers jerseys for the 1988-89 season complete with the 10th anny patch before realizing that they would still be wearing Nike that year. So, the CCMs got stored away, the Oilers wore Nike in 88-89, then ended up wearing the very same CCM jerseys from 88-89 for the 1989-90 season and even beyond that. The patches were removed and the glue was covered up with fabric.

That explains the gamers...now here's my attempt at the retail jerseys. Bare in mind, I don't know this for a fact but it kinda works out so here we go! Once CCM took over the retail aspect from all other brands, they probably just either rebranded Nike's old stock, OR they simply reproduced their design for simplicity and consistency once they found out about Edmonton's inability to get out of their contract.

That's what I think may have happened. It might be right or it might not be.

Yeah, I knew they were yours; you've always got nicer stuff than me rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the info. Any idea on my Clark or the Sabres ones I've seen? I'll try and find those pics again to display them as well...

I've seen those too. I've even owned a couple of those...one of which just happened to be a Leafs jersey too. From what I've read elsewhere, they were just leftover jerseys from that era that had the NHL shield embroidered on them to be somewhat updated for the 1990 selling season. It does make sense too that CCM wouldn't want to just trash all the jerseys they had leftover during that transition so I could definitely see them just slapping the shield on for aesthetics sake. It doesn't make the jerseys any less nice though right? I've even seen a gamer version like that actually. One of Alexander Mogilny's rookie jerseys(which happens to be owned by my buddy Ross) has the older logo with the shield on it.

I found a few other Oilers Gamers some time ago. The Oilers seemed to have quite a few branding variations in 89-90.

Both jerseys show the same CCM tagging in the hem but only the Fuhr jersey has the 10th anniversary patch and I'm assuming that all the lettering is twill (with mesh nameplate of course). The Eriksson jersey has the Nike era style name on it as you can tell by the "S". I used the Fuhr jersey as a reference to my Messier.

89-90EdmontonOilersPeterEriksson_02.jpg

94402503fGkXiH_fs.jpg

2671877950054115799S600x600Q85.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I would assume that was for the 2004-05 season, which we all know was the greatest one in the history of the NHL!

Despite my sarcasm, that would be my guess because after 05 the NHL changed its shield.

What year did Reebok have the NHL shield reading from top left to bottom right in silver?

EXAMPLE

Wow, thats weird. I wonder if they put a patch over it. I only know of CCM/Koho doing that. Especially when Reebok hit the scene officially in 2005.

Burnaby has some like that and I think I did/do have one or two like it as well. Neck is tagged RBK and has the new NHL shield on the neck tag, but the hem is the old style.

It was just leftover stock that was re-branded as Reebok. I have a few of them too. I think they were mostly used in the pre-season but there were definitely some retailed ones that got out. I actually got a Tampa Bay jersey at the MeiGray expo that had the Reebok vector on the neck, but the old shield on the hem the older style collar tags AND a born-on date of 2003! Clearly an old CCM jersey that was converted to save money.

It was just leftover stock that was re-branded as Reebok. I have a few of them too. I think they were mostly used in the pre-season but there were definitely some retailed ones that got out. I actually got a Tampa Bay jersey at the MeiGray expo that had the Reebok vector on the neck, but the old shield on the hem the older style collar tags AND a born-on date of 2003! Clearly an old CCM jersey that was converted to save money.

It's as simple as handing over the keys to a warehouse full of blank jerseys to RBK when they bought the rights.

Change a machine or two and add new necks tags, and presto!

More then likely the blank jerseys already had the shields on them.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Here is HSI tail logo from Philadelphia's 1981-82 - 1982-1983 seasons that you have been looking for.

Hello, I'm new to Ice Jerseys and I recently purchase a Starter Jersey with this Logo.

ScreenShot2012-01-05at111452PM.png

Welcome to the boards.

That should be from 1996-97. You have successfully found the flaw in Brilliant's guide - he shows the 97-98 picture twice, instead of the the 96-97 picture (which would match what you have).

Here's the pic he meant to show for 96-97:

199697starter-vi.jpg

However, in the picture you provided the detail looks a little thinner in the "STARTER" lettering and the "NHL" wordmark. There have been some Starter fakes in the past, maybe you can post more pictures of the whole jersey in the "Is it good or not" thread and we can provide some more info.

• 1 year later...

I have a question. I recently got a Colorado Avalanche jersey from a friend of mine and it is a Pro Player from 99-00, I looked that up on nhluniforms.com. It's authentic in the sense that it has the reinforced elbows and shoulders and the logos are stitched on, but there is no fight strap. The back hem on the right side has the Pro Player logo/wordmark and the Western Conference logo on it. The Pro Player logo is also on the left arm on the cuff.

The question is, exactly what kind of jersey do I have and why can I not find any pictures of what I have. Any help would be great.

You have a replica. Pro Player replicas don't have fight straps but has all the other qualities of authentics (sewn patches, double elbows etc)

• 1 month later...

Can someone show me what the neck tagging for an authentic pro player jerseys should look like? What kind of sizing tags did they use? Also this guide shows pro player with a silver NHL shield, did any of the teams have the black and orange shields?

Would also appreciate a picture of a pro player fight strap if someone could post it. Thanks in advance for any help.

• 2 months later...

it appears the links for quite a few pictures are no longer working. can we get an update?

Brilliant....you still have the pics for the missing pics? I am looking to compare some of the missing pictures