NHL tags and tails guide

I don't know if this is more of a "how to spot a fake" question or a question for here. Did the Edge 1.0 size tags ever come with out the CCM above the jersey size? Basically did they ever make them like this:

Stitched Canadian Flag

Made in Canada

Fabrique Au Canada

Hecto En Canada

7187A

Versus:

Stitched Canadian Flag

Made in Canada

Fabrique Au Canada

Hecto En Canada

7187A

CCM

Edited by LessThanZero

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, they did. It wasn't just the 1.0's that had this tag, but also the gameworn 2.0's as well, until around 2010, when the CCM designation was dropped (at least for NHL 2.0's).

Edited by LAK74

Yes, they did. It wasn't just the 1.0's that had this tag, but also the gameworn 2.0's as well, until around 2010, when the CCM designation was dropped (at least for NHL 2.0's).

This is why I love this place. All this small nice to know info is killing me. Thanks again...

I should add that Reebok 1.0's and 2.0's are a blur to me. I really like the 6100 series jerseys along with the Pro Player and Nike.

Edited by LessThanZero

I recently picked up an authentic Rangers CCM jersey (hem logo), and that CCM logo has a small hole in the first C of the logo. Based on the look of it (clean, no 'burn' marks), it seems like it was put there on purpose. I vaguely remember someone posting on here about something similar. Any ideas?

I recently picked up an authentic Rangers CCM jersey (hem logo), and that CCM logo has a small hole in the first C of the logo. Based on the look of it (clean, no 'burn' marks), it seems like it was put there on purpose. I vaguely remember someone posting on here about something similar. Any ideas?

that was usually done to jerseys that were considered "factory second stock". There usually was nothing wrong with them.

If the jersey was rejected at the factory they would put the hole there. Impossible to know what the rejection was for but probably a sizing error if the jersey looks fine otherwise.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Were the Center Ice tags ever on any non-retail jerseys?

IHMlRxBm.jpg

Someone on Facebook is questioning whether a jersey is a GW or not and I've made the case that (while I could be wrong) the Center Ice tags were retail only. Someone is saying that I'm wrong.

I assume you're talking about that specific Center Ice tag stitched into the neck of the jersey, not the paper Center Ice tag hanging from the wash tag.

If so, they did appear in some game worn jerseys (but not most) during the 1990's CCM period.  They appeared on basically all game worn Starter jerseys from 1995-97, and on Nikes from 1996-98.  There are subtle differences in some details between Center Ice tags of different brands, but they all had the same general appearance.

Edited by LAK74

• 8 months later...

Hey guys, new to this site and to this whole detailed world of jerseys. And you guys seem to really know your s***.

But I've been looking for an authentic Sabres jersey from when they played for the Cup, orsame style. Just so many details that I'm unsure about. Was the only CCM logo they used the white blocks with the orange NHL shield, or does it just vary from year to year. And how do I know what tag is authentic? I know you guys were taking about attaching pictures of tags on this post, but I couldn't see them. Maybeim just missing a link or something, but if you guys could educate me, it'd be appreciated.

Welcome to the group!

If you're referring to the 1999 Cup Finals appearance, then I assume you want the "goat head" style jersey.  CCM versions of this jersey were made from 1996-99, and they all had the same large block CCM logo on the hem with the orange NHL shield.  For 1999-2000, the Sabres used the same style jersey, but switched to the ProPlayer brand.  At the turn of the century until the 2004 lockout, the entire league went with white jerseys made by CCM, and dark jerseys made by Koho- the brand logos moved from the hem to the back of the neck area, just under the collar.  The NHL shield on the hem was now black with silver letters.  This is how you can tell a 90's CCM goathead from a 2000's version.  In 2005-06, the last year of the goathead, the jerseys were made by Reebok.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "what tag is authentic."  For the goathead jersey, if there is an NHL shield on the hem, plus the CCM logo on the hem or under the back collar, that denotes that the jersey is authentic.

Edited by LAK74

Yeah, the jersey I was referring to had the block letters on the hem with the shield, but didn't have a tag inside the collar. Then I'll see some with the CCM logo next to another goat head on the hem, or the puck, which I saw in the thread that makes it a replica. I'll see tags in the collar that have the hockey rink or are black and blue. I'm more of a baseball jersey collector but have quite a few hockey jerseys and have been getting more into collecting them, and there's just so many details and I'm glad I found this site.

You are correct, if you see a goathead (late 90's) or puck logo (around 2000-06) on the hem, it's a replica.  Also the replica neck tags will vary depending on the year of production- the hockey rink and black/blue neck tags are typical of replicas from the mid-to-later 90's, and late 90's, respectively.  Most retail authentics from the late 90's will have tags that look like these:

CCM Sabres tags

Edited by LAK74

No, the authentic goatheads were airknit as well.  (Except for the ProPlayers, which were flo-knit.)

Edited by LAK74

Hey everybody,

I'm new to this forum, hope I'm in the right thread for my question.

Bought this Bure Panthers Starter Jersey for a good price, looks authentic to me, but I'm a little confused from the Name without a Nameplate.
Looking at the Starter tags I assume this is from Bures first Panthers season when he was not captain or assistant.
I found no photo matching on google for the back of the jersey so I hope that somebody here has more details, maybe even why there is no nameplate, for the age and so on.

Thanks!!!
Olli

35842615146_b8a1224fcf_c.jpg
35842614766_64593d3bf2_c.jpg
35714261592_2ccecef4e1_c.jpg
35883387345_90eb617307_c.jpg
35714264702_576d048438_c.jpg

You have a retail (not team-issued or game worn) jersey which was sold blank, and then a previous owner got it lettered.  Letterers make all kinds of mistakes, like forgetting to put on a nameplate when one is called for, putting on an inaccurate letter/number font, etc.  There's nothing unusual here about the lack of nameplate.

Bure's first season with the Panthers was 1998-99.  The jersey you have is a 1996-97 model, which has a different manufacturer's hem logo and different neck tags, so if you're a stickler for details, you can consider this a minor "foul."  But the base jersey itself, apart from what I mentioned above, is really the same between 1996 and 1999.

• 5 months later...

If you’re referring to the Reebok logo on the rear collar area, they first appeared on the 2011/12 jerseys.  The first time I remember seeing the newer Lextra NHL shield was on the 2011 All-Star jersey, but at that time the Reebok vector logo was still being used.  Nashville’s 2011/12 jerseys featured both the wordmark logo and the Lextra NHL shield.