Modern Name Bar Question HELP!

Thelonious Sphere Monk

Small question about Name bars. I'm sure its came up but I can't the info I need

I talked to a local sower (thread not seeds!) that does the pro kits for jerseys and such and they claim that the NHL only supplies them with pro-TWILL name plates for jerseys not Air-knit or Ultra-fill.

All my retro jersey are either air-knit or ultra-fill.

Does that mean all Modern RBK edge jerserys are Twill plates? or is this sower full of you-know-what.

I do not own a twill name plate jersey other then the robo pens i'm about to strip.

Small question about Name bars. I'm sure its came up but I can't the info I need

I talked to a local sower (thread not seeds!) that does the pro kits for jerseys and such and they claim that the NHL only supplies them with pro-TWILL name plates for jerseys not Air-knit or Ultra-fill.

All my retro jersey are either air-knit or ultra-fill.

Does that mean all Modern RBK edge jerserys are Twill plates? or is this sower full of you-know-what.

I do not own a twill name plate jersey other then the robo pens i'm about to strip.

Not true at all. Just look at pictures of game worn edge jerseys and you'll see they use jersey material for the nameplates. Get the kit or work done at a NHL/NHLPA certified shop like EPS and you will get the proper material for the nameplate.

From looking at gamers you can see they use Edge material for the nameplates. On rare occasions I've seen airknit used, but I've never seen twill used with the Edge jerseys on a gamer.

I have heard that it can be incredibly difficult to get Edge nameplates for some retail customizers.

Not true at all. Just look at pictures of game worn edge jerseys and you'll see they use jersey material for the nameplates. Get the kit or work done at a NHL/NHLPA certified shop like EPS and you will get the proper material for the nameplate.

Ya. I already knew this going into the place but he tried to convince me they are all twill now after pulling out my ultra-fill and Air-knit authentics and kits.

I just had to be sure. They did a great sowing though. I will use them again just for the sowing only. I think ill stick to getting the kits myself :).

I have heard that it can be incredibly difficult to get Edge nameplates for some retail customizers.

Thats the problem I face right now with my Edge jerseys!

Which is also the same reason I wondered into that guys place to find out.

I can comment on the Avalanche side of things. Hope this helps at least a little. The Avs have used different combinations throughout the years on their Edges.

Sakic 08-09 Game Issue, Air Knit plate.

Sakic08-09Set3GInameplateleft.jpg

I also have a 07-08 Ian Laperriere white gamer that has an Air Knit nameplate.

Avs white jerseys from the 08-09 and 09-10 seasons have an Edge material (X Trafil) nameplate.

Scott Parker 08-09 white gamer

ScottParker2008-2009PreseasonwhiteGamernameplate.jpg

The thirds and the burgundys still have Air Knit plates.

David Koci 09-10 Game Issue

DavidKociAlternateGInameplate.jpg

I believe the switch to X Trafil plates on the white and not the burgundys or alternates has to do with the shine on the material. The white doesn't show the shine at all, while the darker colors show it pretty well. That's just my guess anyways.

The Flyers used white twill nameplates on the orange gamers in 08-09. I have a Coburn gamer I bought from Meigray in 2009. I was a little surprised that they used twill and not the edge material. Not sure what they used last year on the orange jersey.

Checked Meigray site and it looks like the Flyers used white twill nameplates on the orange jerseys in 09-10 also. I know they used the edge material on the white and black gamers. Winter classics are a whole different story. The material is like ultrafil. Probably because black twill would have given off too much of a shine in the daylight during the winter classic. That's my guess at least.

Edited by rob77ta

The Flyers used white twill nameplates on the orange gamers in 08-09. I have a Coburn gamer I bought from Meigray in 2009. I was a little surprised that they used twill and not the edge material. Not sure what they used last year on the orange jersey.

Checked Meigray site and it looks like the Flyers used white twill nameplates on the orange jerseys in 09-10 also. I know they used the edge material on the white and black gamers. Winter classics are a whole different story. The material is like ultrafil. Probably because black twill would have given off too much of a shine in the daylight during the winter classic. That's my guess at least.

Thanks for that info, I am very happy to hear that, when I finally get an Edge orange, I want it done on-ice style.

I wonder if that goes back to the original Flyers jerseys. Maybe those old white nameplates on the orange jerseys were really twill rather than fabric. That would be a pretty good reason for the current ones to be twill. That's also pretty strange because the only other team to EVER use a twill nameplate during the regular season was the Winnipeg Jets.

I wonder if that goes back to the original Flyers jerseys. Maybe those old white nameplates on the orange jerseys were really twill rather than fabric. That would be a pretty good reason for the current ones to be twill. That's also pretty strange because the only other team to EVER use a twill nameplate during the regular season was the Winnipeg Jets.

That's another thing I am not so sure about, I think the Flyers have used white twill before on-ice as I found an 80's game worn mesh jersey, one of the Sutters I believe, with a twill nameplate. Give me a bit and I will try to round up a picture. But I also know that I've seen the same jerseys from that era with matching mesh nameplates.

They did wear a twill white nameplate in the 1970's on the orange and white jerseys due to some kind of rule that the players had to have names on the back of their jerseys for nationally televised games. My guess on the white twill nameplate nowadays is because it is more solid than the edge material and provides a better background for the name. Imagine white edge material over that bright orange edge material. You would probably see some of the orange right through the nameplate.

That's another thing I am not so sure about, I think the Flyers have used white twill before on-ice as I found an 80's game worn mesh jersey, one of the Sutters I believe, with a twill nameplate. Give me a bit and I will try to round up a picture. But I also know that I've seen the same jerseys from that era with matching mesh nameplates.

That may have just been a quick fix at the time or maybe the team did not have the mesh or air-knit material to do his name on. In my short time collecting I've learned that the Flyers have done some strange things to their on ice jerseys. I have CCM/Koho air-knit gamers with Nike air-knit nameplates. I have heard that the "A" they used from 1999-2000 to 2006-2007 was not the one approved and given to NHL certified customizers like EPS making it impossible to do any of the alternate captains' jerseys from that era (LeClair, Recchi, Desjardins, etc.) I have even seen a set of game worn ultrafil jerseys worn in the late 1980's.

The Barber jersey is from the late 1970's when the Flyers switched to mesh. Those jerseys should have a mesh nameplate. The Clarke jersey is from the 77-78 and has the correct twill nameplate. They switched to the orange nameplate in the mid to late 1970's. May be just me but that Clarke nameplate looks to pristine. The font looks a bit off and it is too perfect/new looking.

Was Winnipeg the last team to use twill nameplates?

There are NHLPA officially licensed retailers that uses twill nameplates, which is probably the main reason for the confusion. The closest thing I have seen to twill on a gamer in recent times are the Preds jerseys that use a smoothfit printed nameplate, but no one uses twill for gamers because that stuff is so ###### heavy for a nameplate.

Yeah, that's definitely mesh. I think the reason it looks the way it does is because the mesh pattern on the plate is running perpendicular to the mesh pattern on the jersey. I've seen maaaaaaaany Oilers jerseys from the 1980's and I've never seen a twill plate on one of them.

No, that's a mesh nameplate :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's definitely mesh. I think the reason it looks the way it does is because the mesh pattern on the plate is running perpendicular to the mesh pattern on the jersey. I've seen maaaaaaaany Oilers jerseys from the 1980's and I've never seen a twill plate on one of them.

Well excuse me....

But hey I made a mistake, glad to be corrected :)