How to fix numbers with "folds"

SquishyTomato

Hi there, I recently bought a Marco Sturm jersey on ebay for 40 bucks, It's not a fake.. It's just an old sharks jersey from about 2003.. Koho.

Anywho, It is used.. and the person who had it obviously put it in the washer and probably dryer (doh) and now the numbers on it have like "lines" or small folds or creases.

Is there any way to fix this? on the photos of the jersey it did not show this, however I understand i bought it used so this is kind of expected, I bought a Marleau jersey not too long ago with the same issue but it wasn't as bad as it is on this jersey.]

Tips?

Edited by SquishyTomato

Hi there, I recently bought a Marco Sturm jersey on ebay for 40 bucks, It's not a fake.. It's just an old sharks jersey from about 2003.. Koho.

Anywho, It is used.. and the person who had it obviously put it in the washer and probably dryer (doh) and now the numbers on it have like "lines" or small folds or creases.

Is there any way to fix this? on the photos of the jersey it did not show this, however I understand i bought it used so this is kind of expected, I bought a Marleau jersey not too long ago with the same issue but it wasn't as bad as it is on this jersey.]

Tips?

Can you post pictures? It'd be easier for people here to help out if they can get a visual.

I don't think washing, or even drying, would cause creases in the numbers. More likely it was stored folded instead of hung up, and that's where the creases came from.

You could try ironing them out, putting a towel or thick shirt between the jersey and the iron. Using an iron directly on the jersey will melt and destroy the polyester.

Yeah, the iron is a good idea. Turn the jersey inside out and hit it with a steam-filled iron. That should get all the wrinkles out of it. But, like was said, DO NOT use an iron directly on twill otherwise it will wreck it.

Has anyone ever tried steaming it? I've never had to worry about lettering getting wrinkled but I would assume steaming might work as people steam suits, silks, etc to get rid of wrinkles. Perhaps you could give that a try. If you do, remember to use distilled water.

Just another thought: with steaming, you also clean your jersey at the same time (albeit one area of it haha)

turn the jersey inside out, cover the numbers with a white t-shirt and iron them with a lot of steam. That should get all the creases out.

steaming it, you would need to buy a hand held steamer or a clothes steamer. I don't know if the shower steam would be enough to take out the wrinkles but you could give it a go

steaming it, you would need to buy a hand held steamer or a clothes steamer. I don't know if the shower steam would be enough to take out the wrinkles but you could give it a go

It won't be enough. You need an iron and you'll need to push down with a little pressure on the twill to get the wrinkles out.

I turned a jersey inside out before and put a pillow case over the numbers and GENTLY ironed it.. Came out beautiful.