New Blue Jackets 3rd

iggygoalie

The more I look at it again I don't care for the white shoulder yoke. Navy blue and white do NOT look well together. Plus, the numbers are ALSO white!?!? Maybe if the shoulders were light blue or red, things would look a little better. Anyone else agree about the white shoulders/numbers?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this was the first jersey of its kind, it would be awesome. Nonetheless, it would be nice, nice jersey if the logo was simply the cannon, and not that stupid circle.

Navy blue and white do NOT look well together.

Disregarding your incorrect usage of the word "well", are you telling me that these look bad?

penn-state-football.jpg

Yankees+hat.jpg

I understand that taste obviously plays a big role, but navy blue and white work pretty ###### well together, and this is coming from someone who's sick of seeing navy blue in sports.

Disregarding your incorrect usage of the word "well", are you telling me that these look bad?

penn-state-football.jpg

Yankees+hat.jpg

I understand that taste obviously plays a big role, but navy blue and white work pretty ###### well together, and this is coming from someone who's sick of seeing navy blue in sports.

I meant navy blue and white don't go well together in terms of the Jackets THIRD JERSEY. Not in general, as it appears you assumed. Another perfect example is the current Predators third. Do you think that jersey looks flashy or nice? It's all navy blue and white.

It seems that the Minnesota Wild really started something with the circle on the jersey. With Florida, Pittsburg and now Columbus following.

The Penguins have always had the circle as part of their vintage logo. Here are their uniforms from 1968-1970, when they switched to the encircled skating penguin:

Penguins02.png

These uniforms were designed WAY WAY WAY before the Wild's existence. :lol:

I meant navy blue and white don't go well together in terms of the Jackets THIRD JERSEY. Not in general, as it appears you assumed. Another perfect example is the current Predators third. Do you think that jersey looks flashy or nice? It's all navy blue and white.

You're changing your argument. First you say that you're only talking about in terms of the Jackets third jersey, which I can understand in the context of it not working in their color scheme, but then you introduce an "example" that apparently falls outside of your parameters. So what are you trying to say - that navy blue and white don't work together at ALL, they don't work together on hockey jerseys, or they don't work together on the Blue Jackets' third jersey and in that context alone?

And while I never said about the Yankees or Penn State looking "flashy", yes, I do think the Predators' third jersey looks nice, albeit a bit lacking in contrast between navy blue and black. I like the checkerboard pattern along the bottom stripe/sleeve stripes and it's certainly better than the garbage they wear as their primary set.

I think the Preds are boring and the Jackets could have been waaaaaaay better. When I heard they were using a canon I got kind of excited. This one just bores me. Oh the Ducks new thirds look too much like their regular homes from a distance........ooooooo there's a flash of orange!!!!

My jerseys

You're changing your argument. First you say that you're only talking about in terms of the Jackets third jersey, which I can understand in the context of it not working in their color scheme, but then you introduce an "example" that apparently falls outside of your parameters. So what are you trying to say - that navy blue and white don't work together at ALL, they don't work together on hockey jerseys, or they don't work together on the Blue Jackets' third jersey and in that context alone?

And while I never said about the Yankees or Penn State looking "flashy", yes, I do think the Predators' third jersey looks nice, albeit a bit lacking in contrast between navy blue and black. I like the checkerboard pattern along the bottom stripe/sleeve stripes and it's certainly better than the garbage they wear as their primary set.

I was initially talking about the navy blue/white color combo for the Blue Jackets third. I do not believe they look well together. IMO the third is not much different than the Jackets home jersey in terms of the color scheme.

I used Nashville as an example because prior to their introduction of the mustard yellow third, their colors were boring similar to Columbus - navy blue, silver, white, etc. I was pointing that the Preds current third is also not terribly different than their home navys. It's not like the Penguins powder blue thirds vs. their home black or Buffalo's home navy and their third royal blues.

Did you see that the crest and numbers and I think the letters are all that cream colored felt? Now I have to buy a few yards of acrylic cream felt to letter my Sabres third, and Blue Jackets third. I wonder if the Wild will now incorporate the cream felt into their lettering scheme?

My Jerseys

Did you see that the crest and numbers and I think the letters are all that cream colored felt? Now I have to buy a few yards of acrylic cream felt to letter my Sabres third, and Blue Jackets third. I wonder if the Wild will now incorporate the cream felt into their lettering scheme?

Are you serious about getting the felt to do the sabres numbers? I have my blank third but almost everywhere offers the appliqué with the drawn on stitching. I'm trying to find those numbers.

Thanks

If you're going to call st. pat out for not knowing the earliest circle logo at least bring up the original and not that nubby penns one, circa 1934. :doh:

And yet you fail to realize that the INAGURAL Chicago Blackhawks uniform was the one that set the tone:

Blackhawks01.png

If you're going to call someone out at least use the first instance from 1926. That would be the original.

You guys are TOO MUCH. :lol:

I wasn't trying to call out St. Patrick about the encircled logo. I was merely pointing out to him the Penguins used the encircled skating penguin logo on their 1968-1970 uniforms WAY before the Minnesota Wild used the encircled logo. I wouldn't even call that "calling him out."

Yes I am going to try and do the Sabres third numbers. I will post some pics when I get it done.

My Jerseys

I watched the Jackets / Wings game tonight and they do look a lot different on the ice than in press pictures, but in this case I don't think it's a good thing.

First, I didn't realize it was a "vintage" white color. Compared to the stark white of the Red Wings jerseys, the Columbus 3rds just looked dirty. Also the lighter blue accent and the grey stripe kinda meld together unless they're showing a closeup (and yes I was watching it in HD) which combined with the dirty white looked odd to say the least. The numbers look just as terrible as I thought they would - why such a modern font on a supposed "vintage" style jersey.

I found out I'll be able to see them in person as they'll be wearing them again in two weeks when I watch them play the Rangers in Columbus. I'm actually kind of disappointed by that because I really like the regular Columbus home jerseys. Oh well, maybe I'll get my picture taken with the new mascot :lol:

I rather like them, actually.

And to me, it's rather amusing that we're sitting here griping about how everyone's going to that vintage look when I believe it wasn't that long ago (oh, like when RBK introduced the EDGE system) when we started complaining about the piping, the lack of stripes at the waist or elbows, the color panels, etc. and the egregious lack of any acknowledgment of tradition. And now that we have it, we still find things to nitpick and be dissatisfied about! ;)

Goes to show that teams will never be able to do right by the jersey snobs :)

It is starting to grow on me, but I don't know how it fits in with the other Blue Jackets jerseys. I guess that is a good thing, but I think they could have done a lot better. I liked the video they made, props for that!

Goes to show that teams will never be able to do right by the jersey snobs :)

Of course! I don't doubt if we were all around in 1932, we'd be complaining they ruined the Detroit Falcons jersey by turning it into the 'Redwings' and swear we'd never buy one until they got rid of that 'winged wheel' abomination and brought back the yellow lettering. A jersey that is only red and white won't last!

• 2 weeks later...

Some information on some differences out there on these Jackets thirds. The promo images feature a different C and A than the team actually wears (much to my disappointment). The difference:

107331913_slide.jpg

p8313118p275w.jpg

I've seen the one from the promo pictures on sale at Finish Line and some other specialty stores around Columbus, but they are cheap ($150) and the letters and numbers are a really bad vinyl material nothing close to authentic. Comparing these to the $190 ones from the team stores shows the night and day difference in quality. That said, the C on the promo photo sure looks a lot better to my eyes. No idea why they went with the single layer normal letter. It should at least have a grey layer underneath the letter like the other numbers similar to what other teams use for their A and C.

Anyway, I had always assumed you had game worn/team issued / authentic / replica. It would seem that there's something worse than authentic now based on these cheaper ones at the Finish Line, et al? Or maybe it's just the lettering that's very bad. I would expect better from the NHL on licensed stuff.

What's also interesting is that there's a mannequin in the arena's store that has a version of the third I've not seen anywhere. It's quite a bit different in material from the edge authentics. For those that care, I'll try to grab a photo of it. Might be the edge 2.0, but either way, it's very, very different in texture than the normal authentics and what the team wears so far as I can tell.

-John

Edited by GoalMouthPass