getting glue off a jersey

WingedWheelers

I'm stripping a jersey, and there seems to be a lot of glue where the numbers were sewn over the area that the fight strap attaches to the jersey. I've read on here about using goo-gone or goo-off to get the glue off. Is this guaranteed to be safe to use, and won't ruin the jersey? Any horror stories, or tips I should be aware of?

what kind of jersey?

i had great success with a light iron, but it was also an edge style and there wasnt a whole lot of it

Goof-Off should work fine on that. Cover it with the liquid, let it sit for about a minute or so, then take an old toothbrush and scrub little circles and it should come right off.

Is there something stronger than goo-gone that's safe to use? The goo-gone has worked well on most of the jersey, but that area by the fight strap pictured above is being stubborn. Its coming off slowly, but I'm afraid that all the scrubbing I have to do is going to harm the air-knit material.

Well, I misread goof-off as goo-gone. Goo-gone (the citrusy stuff) didn't put a dent in the glue or red stain. Went to the store to get goof-off (never heard of this product before, hence the confusion). I'll see how it goes tonight with it.

Goo-gone is awesome stuff. My daughter had put a sticker on my wife's jacket and it accidentally went through the washer and the dryer and pretty much baked the glue into her fleece jacket. The Goo-gone got it out with no problems.

I've used goof off to take heat sealed numbers off jerseys before, it works. If not you may have to make the jump to straight acetone. Let the liquid do the work, don't scrub too hard or your going to create a lot of wear and pulls.

I've used goof off to take heat sealed numbers off jerseys before, it works. If not you may have to make the jump to straight acetone. Let the liquid do the work, don't scrub too hard or your going to create a lot of wear and pulls.

Yeah, I just scrubbed a little bit with a soft bristle toothbrush. It looks like the citrus-based goo gone stuff actually removed some of the glue residue, but won't get the red from the twill off. Luckily, the new number should cover up most of this area, so even if it doesn't all come out it should be salvageable.

I'll report later after trying the goof-off.

Yeah, I just scrubbed a little bit with a soft bristle toothbrush. It looks like the citrus-based goo gone stuff actually removed some of the glue residue, but won't get the red from the twill off. Luckily, the new number should cover up most of this area, so even if it doesn't all come out it should be salvageable.

I'll report later after trying the goof-off.

remember to only use goof-off outside or in a very well ventilated area because that stuff stinks like crazy.

Talk about a miracle of science! I applied the goof-off directly to that big stain pictured above, and with a little bit of scrubbing with a tooth brush, everything came off. Looks like a brand new jersey.

Definitely use in a well-ventilated area. Stuff that works that good must be cancer-causing :thumbsup: