DEALS AND STEALS

sungod661

Sorry guys, meant to put this in Custom. Laughter. Although, thanks for those tips, Slim! I've got an '82 Habs road that is in dire need of some TLC and acetone only shifts the colour of the vinyl. It's a size 38, but it's an authentic nonetheless. Gonna frame it once I'm done anyway.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't even attempt to remove whatever is under those numbers

It looks like there was a failed attempt to remove vinyl, heat pressed numbers. It would probably be best to cover it up with the number 27.

yea... but his use of thousands of dots ...... in his description is inappropriate

That's the thing. I don't think most of us view this as an investment. I collect for the enjoyment of it.

I buy what I like and what I want to have.

Obviously everybody buys jerseys because they like the jerseys they are buying. I stated that EDGE jersey are bad investments because they are worn sometime for only a period and often have little wear. Why not invest that money in a 80' or 90's jersey which holds value and has wear.

******SAVE THE HOBBY DO NOT STRIP GAMERS*******

Slim's edit - let's all be nice, pls.

Hi Guam!

Love you!!!

- Slim

So is it an investment or hobby then, or does it depend on your agenda of the day?

I simply stated that edge jerseys are a bad investement compared to jerseys from the 80's and 90's. everything we buys as collectors is eventually sold.

I simply stated that edge jerseys are a bad investement compared to jerseys from the 80's and 90's. everything we buys as collectors is eventually sold.

So stripping gamers is OK as long as it makes for a better investment?

Mike! Slim! Teacher! They're fighting again!

Though why couldn't it be both? The "hobby" as we know it still requires input of both time and money. These items do hold value, and the environment in which you buy something could dictate whether it hold its own weight or just turn into money thrown in the air. For many, that's not a problem - steady income, friends, relationships, etc. This is just another diversion from the mundane, a fun way to be a part of something and to express/share interests with other people who think the same (hell, that's what the forums are for!). But many might also like to know that what they're holding onto in their closets are worth something. It's a little silly to think that we are so careful about shirts that are meant to suit large, aggressive hockey players - big hits, stick checking, puck ricochets, grabbing, pulling, fights, equipment, etc. But we still manage to baby the s- out of these things, we hang them up on specially rigged coat hangers with foam balls and keep them in air-tight suit bags with cedar blocks to keep the moths away and holy water to keep the evil spirits away (wait, only the Greeks do that? crap...)

In a way, the investment is the hobby. We scour eBay for months on end looking for specific shirts, sometimes making for sure that they're new with tags and 100% authentic (team stock shirts? even better). We make sure the details are just right (is the tagging correct? what kind of hem logos did they wear that year? what do the snaps on the fight strap look like? is it ultrafil? god do we love ultrafil around here, the players must have been dying in that thick material, who did the lettering on it?, is it kiss-cut? what are the patches they wore that year? any special events or Cup Final appearances? nameplate material?) and then we take the time and effort to make our jerseys look f-ing amazing - taking measurements of game-worn shirts' lettering, making reference sheets, customizing them impeccably using the team lettering houses, sending stuff back for even the most minute details gone wrong, and harassing people like Chris R (xahlgoalie) for all the team stock patches that they have since it's the only way for authentic (we hate repros!), and that's just a few things to name.

Why else would we really do it? I mean, yes, I admit that I love the attention to detail. And yes, it is doing something we love doing because we are fans of the game. But I think that there is more than just the hobby aspect of doing such nit-picky things with a bunch of shirts. Most NHL fans are not collectors, and for the jerseys they do buy, they're usually replicas from the team store or even fakes from eBay. They probably couldn't care less about whether the letters are kiss-cut glacier twill with the font and nameplate specially done at (insert lettering house here) using half sublimation/half screen-print/half laser engraving with a 550nm beam. I think deep down, many of us pay such close attention to such minute things because we know that it makes it worth more. It lets us know that what is hanging in our closet was something worth the time and effort... It's not the only thing that drives us to do it, but would anyone disagree that it plays a significant role in our collecting?

Also, in regards to stripping and re-lettering. George, what do you think about team alterations? Where is the line drawn with regards to changing the history of the item in question? Would you say that if it's done by the team that it is OK, even though it takes away from the player(s) who first wore it?

Teams change jersey numbers and names all the time to fit the roster they need. I actually found a great example in what seems to be a game worn Devils jersey from the early 90's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NJ-DEVILS-GAME-WORN-USED-JERSEY-NHL-75TH-Devils-10th-patches-Number-change-/261177044736

The thing is hideous. It has staining from a number change (34->24), sloppy stitching on the 2s, and a nameplate piece-mealed together using cut-up portions of other nameplates. And I bet you'd love that kind of thing on a shirt (I know I do, it's really quirky and unique). So what do you feel is the big divide between a team cutting up shirts and putting them back together as compared to a fan doing something similar?

Mike! Slim! Teacher! They're fighting again!

Though why couldn't it be both? The "hobby" as we know it still requires input of both time and money. These items do hold value, and the environment in which you buy something could dictate whether it hold its own weight or just turn into money thrown in the air. For many, that's not a problem - steady income, friends, relationships, etc. This is just another diversion from the mundane, a fun way to be a part of something and to express/share interests with other people who think the same (hell, that's what the forums are for!). But many might also like to know that what they're holding onto in their closets are worth something. It's a little silly to think that we are so careful about shirts that are meant to suit large, aggressive hockey players - big hits, stick checking, puck ricochets, grabbing, pulling, fights, equipment, etc. But we still manage to baby the s- out of these things, we hang them up on specially rigged coat hangers with foam balls and keep them in air-tight suit bags with cedar blocks to keep the moths away and holy water to keep the evil spirits away (wait, only the Greeks do that? crap...)

In a way, the investment is the hobby. We scour eBay for months on end looking for specific shirts, sometimes making for sure that they're new with tags and 100% authentic (team stock shirts? even better). We make sure the details are just right (is the tagging correct? what kind of hem logos did they wear that year? what do the snaps on the fight strap look like? is it ultrafil? god do we love ultrafil around here, the players must have been dying in that thick material, who did the lettering on it?, is it kiss-cut? what are the patches they wore that year? any special events or Cup Final appearances? nameplate material?) and then we take the time and effort to make our jerseys look f-ing amazing - taking measurements of game-worn shirts' lettering, making reference sheets, customizing them impeccably using the team lettering houses, sending stuff back for even the most minute details gone wrong, and harassing people like Chris R (xahlgoalie) for all the team stock patches that they have since it's the only way for authentic (we hate repros!), and that's just a few things to name.

Why else would we really do it? I mean, yes, I admit that I love the attention to detail. And yes, it is doing something we love doing because we are fans of the game. But I think that there is more than just the hobby aspect of doing such nit-picky things with a bunch of shirts. Most NHL fans are not collectors, and for the jerseys they do buy, they're usually replicas from the team store or even fakes from eBay. They probably couldn't care less about whether the letters are kiss-cut glacier twill with the font and nameplate specially done at (insert lettering house here) using half sublimation/half screen-print/half laser engraving with a 550nm beam. I think deep down, many of us pay such close attention to such minute things because we know that it makes it worth more. It lets us know that what is hanging in our closet was something worth the time and effort... It's not the only thing that drives us to do it, but would anyone disagree that it plays a significant role in our collecting?

Very well said.

Angelo very well said , to answer your question ; i understand many teams recycled jerseys and as collectors that is out of our control. The jerseys that were recycled are less valuable then jerseys that were not recycled. I dont want to beat a dead horse but the issue i have with stripping is when a collector decided to take a GAME WORN jersey of a lesser player to make it into a player of his choice.

Can I ask the "code" on a jersey prepared for a player that never made it to the team?

I bought this "pre-season jersey"

It has no documentation and shows no wear / pulls / puck marks - it's mint.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Game-Worn-Jim-Fahey-Chicago-Blackhawks-jersey-Size-56-/251217065226?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=dPezwjGuaN3Ek8MtGWUOIW8dRKQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I planned on making it a Kane, Towes or Versteeg (all were rookies for this style & patch)

Is stripping it and re-attributing it gonna set a fire under anyone's biscuits?

Is stripping it and re-attributing it gonna set a fire under anyone's biscuits?

If you did it without telling us, nobody would have known :thumbsup:

But if it is GI, go ahead and strip

If you did it without telling us, nobody would have known :thumbsup:

But if it is GI, go ahead and strip

:lol: I guess I probably should have mentioned that it had already been stripped - I was even able to save the name plate.

Sorry if that is upsetting to anyone,

Just so I'm in the loop,

GI - who cares strip away

GW - saktap if altered in any way

in my opinion a game issued jersey is no different then a retail jersey. If the jersey was never worn then it holds no significance historically to the game or player in my eyes.

Like i said earlier the issue arises when people destroy gamers of lesser know players , if you want an example in the 80's people murdered even good player jerseys to make 99's. I have come cross even good players who have felt the wrath of terrible collectors a Randy Gregg, a Charlie Huddy turned into a 99 :(.

Many also strip preseason jerseys , personally i would not do this but i can understand some people might. In the end this thread is about deals and steals and not my personal opinions on stripping.

on that note i am done, lets find some deals and steals guys because the stripping gamers thing has been done everyone knows where i stand and if some think i am out of my mind thats fine. i LOVE THE HOBBY and i know what i have put into it so i try to protect it and educate others (newer collectors).

deals and steals!!

What if it's a game worn, but the previous owner has looked after it poorly - is restoration OK as long as you mention it if re-selling it? (eg. Vinyl number layer missing that would still be there if it was cared for.)