DEALS AND STEALS

sungod661

Good deal on an authentic Early 90s Blues jersey. Too bad its too small

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=301166769282&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good deal on an authentic Early 90s Blues jersey. Too bad its too small

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=301166769282&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Too bad it's a Blues jersey.

Neither. Most time practice shirts sell for much less, sometimes around $50. It is also a 1.0 and was probably used in a 2007-2009ish training camp. Meigray regularly sells the newer "3.0" models. They're a mixture of a few different materials but mostly air-knit and they are what is desirable amongst the pro-stock collectors.

sorry guys Im still new too this and trying to figure everything out. One question I have is why would anyone get a fake jersey signed? It even has a COA with it, but Im pretty sure the jersey is fake. Dont you think the player signing it would know the jersey is fake?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minn-Wild-Stud-Zach-Parise-Autographed-Reebok-Jersey-w-fight-strap-PSA-/171317242177?pt=US_Autographs&hash=item27e34da941

sorry guys Im still new too this and trying to figure everything out. One question I have is why would anyone get a fake jersey signed? It even has a COA with it, but Im pretty sure the jersey is fake. Dont you think the player signing it would know the jersey is fake?

Usually for fake jerseys that are signed, they'll hire a Chinese man at the factory to legally change his name to a popular player's name.

This way, when Wayne Gretzky signs the counterfeit jersey to be sent out to the customer, it is technically being signed by Wayne Gretzky, but it's Wayne Gretzky resident of Shenzhen, China, not former Edmonton Oiler and Stanley Cup champion Wayne Gretzky......

Just kidding.

Counterfeit signed jerseys seem to be very very common. I have no idea if a player would sign one or not, I'd imagine that would change player to player. Certificate of authenticities are pretty much useless. They are only as trust worthy as their source. So if a jersey or autograph is certified by an actual authority in the hobby like PSA, then it's probably alright. If Jack Hoff's Sporting Goods (sorry if that actually exists) uses a paper with some Microsoft Works word art to claim an autograph is legit, it means nothing.

I always find it funny when there are autograph auctions that have blurry water marked photos of Bobby Ryan hastily handing somebody a jersey while holding a pen. As if that is any real proof that the autograph is legit.

Edited by hockeyjerseyssuck

Players will sign whatever's put in front of them. They couldn't care less if what they're signing is fake or not.

A lot of times the COA is just for the signature itself and not the jersey.

I went to a sports memoribilia at an expo hall near me a couple years back. It was a mix of the four big leagues with baseball and football being the most represented. I am no expert on those but for the little bit of signed hockey jerseys they had, pretty much 100% of the jerseys themselves were fakes and awful ones too. The guys behind the table could not care less and I bet a lot of people who are buying those couldn't either as they only see value in the signature and not what its on.

I think for people who are looking to buy an autographed item, it's all about the sig. They're paying for that, not so much for the item itself. "I have Getzky's autograph!" They don't care that it's on a knockoff. Back in my early days of collecting I had Adam Graves sign a CCM '94 replica (?) I bought online and then framed it. It annoys me now b/c a) I'm not that into autographs and b ) it's not an authentic that hangs on my wall. And it's next to my signed/framed authentic Robitaille. But I think most people would just focus on the signatures and not on the type of jersey.

Edited by Cygnus X-1

More often than not, players will just sign anything you put in front of them. To me, the autograph is worthless when it's on a fake jersey.

But recently, I've seen a trend where the store or show is announcing that the player will not sign fake jerseys, nor will they sign loose numbers. I think the players are starting to realize that they're losing money when people aren't buying authentic jersey which they're getting a percentage of. I personally hate the no loose number rule because I often want a certain player's signature but I don't have the jersey I want for it, so I just get the number first and put it on later whenever I find the jersey. But if this helps the hobby, then I guess I'll have to live with it.

More often than not, players will just sign anything you put in front of them. To me, the autograph is worthless when it's on a fake jersey.

But recently, I've seen a trend where the store or show is announcing that the player will not sign fake jerseys, nor will they sign loose numbers. I think the players are starting to realize that they're losing money when people aren't buying authentic jersey which they're getting a percentage of. I personally hate the no loose number rule because I often want a certain player's signature but I don't have the jersey I want for it, so I just get the number first and put it on later whenever I find the jersey. But if this helps the hobby, then I guess I'll have to live with it.

It doesn't really help the hobby....it helps their pockets so they can charge "premium item" price for a signature on a number when it is attached to a jersey

If they signed just the number it would be harder to justify the "premium item" classification (it would be more along the lines of an 8x10 signing price)

It doesn't really help the hobby....it helps their pockets so they can charge "premium item" price for a signature on a number when it is attached to a jersey

If they signed just the number it would be harder to justify the "premium item" classification (it would be more along the lines of an 8x10 signing price)

But they do charge premium price for a signature on a number, which I have no problem paying that instead of a Flat price.

I think though the point is that they don't sign loose numbers because it prevents you from putting it on a fake blank jersey. So if the goal is to cut out the signatures that end up on fake jerseys, then it's good that they're trying to do these things.

Who is putting real signatures for a premium price on fake jerseys? The point of a fake jersey is it costs almost nothing to make and next to nothing for the consumer to buy, why place something on it that ups the value on something that is worthless? Furthermore if they're into fake jerseys why would you trust it's a real signature, also why not just forge the signature on a fake, then at least you're consistent with your forgery. I don't have loose numbers that I want signed so it doesn't really apply to me, but it seems like they're solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Hypothetically speaking here obviously, but if I didn't care if a jersey was real or fake, I didn't even know the difference, then I'd obviously think that a signature on the jersey would increase it's value.

Haven't you guys ever been to a game and looked around? There are fakes everywhere, most people just don't know the difference between real and fake, for them ignorance is bliss.

Well ok, fakes are reasonable to wear out sometimes when you don't want to wear a t-shirt and if you get spilled on by yourself or someone else, who cares about the $27 dollar piece of garbage you are wearing? That's probably why you see so many fakes at games, who wants to destroy a $300+ jersey or chance it with strangers. I mean I will wear mine out, but I am cautious about what I'm doing in it, I don't go to the bar in it as it's liable to be spilled on by some drunk idiot.

Like I said though if everything about the fake is a forgery, why not just forge the signature? It's not like authenticity matters at that point. I am aware some people can't tell the difference, but how are they going to know if the signature is authentic or not, and do they even care?

Edited by isleofspoons

I get that, but why not just prey on them a little more. Like if you're not above stating this is a fake jersey and trying to fool someone into something why provide them with an authentic signature? The smarter ploy seems to be take a picture of yourself getting a authentic jersey signed and then just add the signature in the same place to the fakes and sell a bunch of them. Getting the loose number signed seems worse, because then you're providing the person you knowingly are ripping off with something authentic. Like I said I personally see it as the NHL solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Just go to a show and you will see the number of autographed fake jerseys in frames being sold. Most people don't think fake jerseys are that bad. So to them, getting a real autograph put on a fake jersey, with a hologram and COA, isn't an issue like it is for people on this board.

Maybe it's also my issue with autographs as well. I think they're stupid unless it's a memory with you and the person you wants autograph. Like remember when we went to place x and waited in line to meet person x and it was a really fun day and we met a bunch of new people, to me that's the significance of an autograph. The other issue I have is if the jersey is a forgery what is to stop the signature from being a forgery, which I don't care about because it's not my things, but it seems stupid to have a rule about signing loose numbers for people that really want them signed. In honesty though I'd rather have a photo or shiny hockey stick signed then an authentic. I get your point in the sense of other people not caring about jerseys like we do, but then why care about whether or not the signature is authentic especially if you didn't watch the person sign it?

I see your guys point I just think it doesn't justify banning loose numbers, because I don't think it fixes any real issue other than to off people that don't have their jerseys finished, which I take issue with only on the grounds that it's an arbitrary rule.

Key word is currently....that seller has constantly put up liberty authentics and they never stay cheap FYI

I wonder just how many of those he's had- they're all NWT 1996/97 size 48's, and he's been selling them consistently for at least a few years now.