DEALS AND STEALS

sungod661

8 minutes ago, jsh139 said:

Yeah, it definitely looks a little funky.  Either way, for $150 someone got a pretty good deal. Not a top dog big block xmas tree, but an Ultrafil xmas tree is still nice.

Not just a little, but a lot.  Every pre-season gamer I have seen from scrubs up to full-time vets from that era were all ultrafils with screened name/numbers and screened-on front crest.  This could very well be a pre-season gamer as they did weird things back then and were all over the place, it is just odd.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Customization isn't consistent with anything I have ever seen,  and as Devilsguy said, they were usually screened. Not to mention, the small block dates to before 1991, although if they had a left over it could have wound up as a pre-season jersey, I guess. 

In any event, not my size so I am not pissed that it was purchased before I saw it. 

It always makes me suspicious when a person comments that they have a jersey that doesn't have a set stamp or tag but they do have an LOA but never show a picture of the LOA in the listing.

There is right now a Sean Burke 87-88 "game worn" playoff jersey listed on eBay where the guy said he had an LOA but didn't have a picture.  After I messaged him about it he put a pic up on the listing a day later and sure enough it is an LOA from a company/authenticator I have never heard where basically it says they believe it to be a real game worn because they got it from Milt Byron and he told them so.  I guess this was in the days before Milt was pressured to finally start writing up LOA's but it just help re-affirmed my suspicion why an LOA is mentioned but never displayed.

Edit: Jersey in question:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Game-Worn-1987-Sean-Burke-New-Jersey-Devils-NHL-Playoff-Jersey-/272467256870?hash=item3f70506626:g:hhEAAOSwo4pYPOvj

Edited by Devilsguy

It looks like the name plate is heat pressed, It also looks like there is some wear on the sleeve

Hopefully not a lot of wear as I snagged it and planned on stripping it. 

23 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

It always makes me suspicious when a person comments that they have a jersey that doesn't have a set stamp or tag but they do have an LOA but never show a picture of the LOA in the listing.

There is right now a Sean Burke 87-88 "game worn" playoff jersey listed on eBay where the guy said he had an LOA but didn't have a picture.  After I messaged him about it he put a pic up on the listing a day later and sure enough it is an LOA from a company/authenticator I have never heard where basically it says they believe it to be a real game worn because they got it from Milt Byron and he told them so.  I guess this was in the days before Milt was pressured to finally start writing up LOA's but it just help re-affirmed my suspicion why an LOA is mentioned but never displayed.

Edit: Jersey in question:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Game-Worn-1987-Sean-Burke-New-Jersey-Devils-NHL-Playoff-Jersey-/272467256870?hash=item3f70506626:g:hhEAAOSwo4pYPOvj

I personally think putting pictures of LOAs out there online encourages people to counterfeit them. I usually wait until I'm asked in the rare instances I'm selling something with an LOA. 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I personally think putting pictures of LOAs out there online encourages people to counterfeit them. I usually wait until I'm asked in the rare instances I'm selling something with an LOA. 

Exactly this.  I have a gamer on the bay and I did not post the LOA for this exact reason.

People have asked and i have sent it to them.  But I did not want it out there for all to see/copy.

Just to be clear....it is not wrong to question it, but there are valid reasons so don't dismiss a jersey just because there is no pic of an LOA.  Just ask for a pic.

No pic, no buy.

Edited by HockeyMusic

1 minute ago, HockeyMusic said:

Exactly this.  I have a gamer on the bay and I did not post the LOA for this exact reason.

People have asked and i have sent it to them.  But I did not want it out there for all to see/copy.

This is part of the reason I started taking pictures with a personal object strategically placed on the jersey. I guess you could do the same for LOAs, like put something over a few of the words so that it's not as easy to forge.

3 minutes ago, HockeyMusic said:

Just to be clear....it is not wrong to question it, but there are valid reasons so don't dismiss a jersey just because there is no pic of an LOA.  Just ask for a pic.

No pic, no buy.

Correct. If the seller refuses to send you the picture, something is up. 

2 minutes ago, CJ Matthews said:

This is part of the reason I started taking pictures with a personal object strategically placed on the jersey. I guess you could do the same for LOAs, like put something over a few of the words so that it's not as easy to forge.

Your logic only prevents someone from using YOUR picture  If i am a forger, and I can see most of a MeiGray LOA and can get a pretty good idea on how to duplicate it, I can start churning them out to go along with fake game worn jerseys. People who don't know any better will just assume the LOA is good (assuming it doesn't read "MeiGay Groop")

At least that's my logic. 

9 minutes ago, CJ Matthews said:

That's true, but then again, someone who doesn't know better wouldn't know what it's supposed to look like at all.

Right, but if that someone did happen to have a jersey with a legit MeiGray certificate, or saw a legit one online, it might be close enough to fool them. 

How many of you have ever seen a fake or forged LOA?  I have personally never seen one but only heard of one once.  Guys make it seem like it is a real chance and happens more often than it does (which is extremely rare).

Regardless, why not mention what kind of LOA or who issued the LOA?  As you all know not all LOA's are created equal so finding out who issued it is big.  It's like when people list a jersey and describe the wear, but don't take a single picture of said wear.  I just think it's common sense.

And I didn't dismiss it because of the no pics of LOA and not sure why that was the conclusion that was drawn.  There are more questionable things about it than a piece of paper.  Could be good, but signs are not looking great.

1 minute ago, Devilsguy said:

How many of you have ever seen a fake or forged LOA?  I have personally never seen one but only heard of one once.  Guys make it seem like it is a real chance and happens more often than it does (which is extremely rare).

Regardless, why not mention what kind of LOA or who issued the LOA?  As you all know not all LOA's are created equal so finding out who issued it is big.  It's like when people list a jersey and describe the wear, but don't take a single picture of said wear.  I just think it's common sense.

I don't THINK I have ever seen a forged one...

Regarding the bolded part, I totally agree with that. I always say its a MeiGray LOA. 

Not taking a picture of wear is dumb, though. 

1 minute ago, Devilsguy said:

And I didn't dismiss it because of the no pics of LOA and not sure why that was the conclusion that was drawn.  There are more questionable things about it than a piece of paper.  Could be good, but signs are not looking great.

I saw that Burke, its entirely questionable. 

56 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

Agreed....description of the LOA is imperative if you would rather not include a photo of it.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, HockeyMusic said:

That jersey is still pissing me off, even more do now that the price has dropped. Someone buy it and then explain why it's a 54 and not a 56 for me to buy. 

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That jersey is still pissing me off, even more do now that the price has dropped. Someone buy it and then explain why it's a 54 and not a 56 for me to buy. 

I'll buy the thing already!

2 hours ago, AngeloS76 said:

Goalie-style Flames 2011 Heritage Classic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122271959367

I'm so tempted, but I hate Ronald McDonald.