DEALS AND STEALS

sungod661

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the complete set of TBTC's including All Star jerseys. (also a few duplicates) 
It took forever to put them all together and if you are talking about Tazer as the one who "cornered the market" on these, both he and I have been collecting for over 25yrs. 
We bought stuff over the course of decades BEFORE it was the cool thing to do and were called crazy numerous times. 
Unfortunately I had to sell some of my stuff when I was furloughed which hurt a little but it vindicated my crazy hobby :) 

1 hour ago, Evil Pirate Zamboni said:

Did we ever get the picture of that collector (Tasser maybe?) wearing all of his Blackhawks TBTC jerseys at the same time?

No, it never happened. 

12 minutes ago, Evil Pirate Zamboni said:

So, you are City of Winners on eBay then, right?

He's a member here, but hasn't posted in a really long time.

2 hours ago, Evil Pirate Zamboni said:

That sounds like an awesome collection Hockey Bob!  

So, you are City of Winners on eBay then, right?

Negative, 
My eBay name is just my last name with the year I made an account. 
I don't sell on there if I can help it, only buy. 
Ebay takes too much of a chunk and now they're charging taxes so if I can't sell here or by word of mouth I just keep it :)

The TBTCs have creeped up in value the last few years. It seems like blanks/strip-jobs sell for about $800-$1000 and correctly customized ones are fetching upwards of $1,200. As for CityOfWinners, he’s @ConcreteCharlieon here and I will PM you his real name so you can look him up on FB. He’s a nice guy and while he does make money off of flipping jerseys (which some take offense to), he will deal with you off of eBay. 

I would add that TBTCs have always been more desired and commanded greater prices than most other CCM retail authentics from the early 90s era (along with road (dark) Pens, Canucks, Blackhawks) but they could often be obtained in the $400-600 range depending on condition and size. The smaller 44s and 48s would be in the $400's and the 52s commanded the higher end prices. 

In the last year the prices on them have just exploded significantly higher. I distinctly remember a blank Rangers 52 being listed on eBay for $1K in 2019 and someone bought it pretty quickly, and ever since then, the asking price for any of them has skyrocketed to $1K and up, especially during COVID Quarantine. This is the highest priced one I have seen.

They're all getting harder to find and the further away we get from 91/92, the less likely to find blanks or ones in great condition. 

8 hours ago, Hockey Bob said:

Negative, 
My eBay name is just my last name with the year I made an account. 
I don't sell on there if I can help it, only buy. 
Ebay takes too much of a chunk and now they're charging taxes so if I can't sell here or by word of mouth I just keep it :)

If you live in a state that doesnt charge tax on clothing, contact ebay and you should get your taxes refunded to you. I live in NJ, had all packages delivered here, and got charged. I contacted ebay through their chat a couple weeks ago after reading on reddit that someone was successful challenging their policy, and on Friday saw all refunds in my paypal account going back to 2019. You just need to gather all the order numbers. 

2 hours ago, Crash Line said:

If you live in a state that doesnt charge tax on clothing, contact ebay and you should get your taxes refunded to you. I live in NJ, had all packages delivered here, and got charged. I contacted ebay through their chat a couple weeks ago after reading on reddit that someone was successful challenging their policy, and on Friday saw all refunds in my paypal account going back to 2019. You just need to gather all the order numbers. 

Wow, that’s awesome. I’m in PA and they don’t charge tax on clothing, either. But, they do charge tax on “sporting goods and clothing normally worn or used when engaged in sports”. I wonder if that’s why I’m being charged tax. Sucks.

5 hours ago, Crash Line said:

What about game worn jerseys?

I can see this working on replicas and authentics, but not so sure about game worn jerseys.  A lot of times, game worn jerseys are considered more as "sports memorabilia" than clothing.  

Edit: So I checked NJ State sales tax guide and this is what I found:

Sales of articles of clothing and footwear for human use are exempt from New Jersey Sales Tax. This exemption does not apply to fur clothing; accessories or equipment; sport or recreational equipment, or protective equipment (unless the protective equipment is necessary for the daily work of the user).

Sport or Recreational Clothing and Footwear/Equipment Sport or recreational equipment that is worn only in conjunction with a particular sport or recreational activity is taxable. Articles that can be adapted for general use not exclusively connected with a sporting activity are exempt from tax. 
New Jersey Sales Tax Guide 
Rev. 11/18 

Taxable: Athletic Shoes (cleated or spiked) Ballet and Tap Shoes Baseball and Hockey Gloves Bicycle Shorts (padded) Bowling Shoes Fishing Boots (waders) Gloves (e.g., baseball, bowling, boxing, hockey, golf) Goggles (nonprescription) Golf Shoes Hand and Elbow Guards Helmets (sports and motorcycle) Ice Skates Life Preservers and Vests Mouth Guards Protective Masks Roller Blades Roller Skates (boot and screw-on) Shin Guards and Padding Shoulder Pads Ski Boots 
Skin Diving Suits Snorkel and Scuba Masks Sweatbands Swim Fins Track Shoes and Cleats Wetsuits and Fins

Exempt: Athletic Supporters Children’s Sports and Play Uniforms (e.g.,football, baseball, karate) Hooded Shirts Jogging or Running Shoes, Suits Knitted Caps or Hats Overshoes, Coats, Mittens, Parkas, and Trousers (sometimes sold in the trade as hunting, skating, and skiing apparel but suitable for general outdoor wear and commonly worn other than in a particular sport) Pullovers, Turtlenecks, and Other Sweaters Ski Masks 

So would hockey jerseys, even game worn, be considered as "Other Sweaters" and is therefore exempt?

32 minutes ago, Devilsguy said:

What about game worn jerseys?

I can see this working on replicas and authentics, but not so sure about game worn jerseys.  A lot of times, game worn jerseys are considered more as "sports memorabilia" than clothing.  

Edit: So I checked NJ State sales tax guide and this is what I found:

Sales of articles of clothing and footwear for human use are exempt from New Jersey Sales Tax. This exemption does not apply to fur clothing; accessories or equipment; sport or recreational equipment, or protective equipment (unless the protective equipment is necessary for the daily work of the user).

Sport or Recreational Clothing and Footwear/Equipment Sport or recreational equipment that is worn only in conjunction with a particular sport or recreational activity is taxable. Articles that can be adapted for general use not exclusively connected with a sporting activity are exempt from tax. 
New Jersey Sales Tax Guide 
Rev. 11/18 

Taxable: Athletic Shoes (cleated or spiked) Ballet and Tap Shoes Baseball and Hockey Gloves Bicycle Shorts (padded) Bowling Shoes Fishing Boots (waders) Gloves (e.g., baseball, bowling, boxing, hockey, golf) Goggles (nonprescription) Golf Shoes Hand and Elbow Guards Helmets (sports and motorcycle) Ice Skates Life Preservers and Vests Mouth Guards Protective Masks Roller Blades Roller Skates (boot and screw-on) Shin Guards and Padding Shoulder Pads Ski Boots 
Skin Diving Suits Snorkel and Scuba Masks Sweatbands Swim Fins Track Shoes and Cleats Wetsuits and Fins

Exempt: Athletic Supporters Children’s Sports and Play Uniforms (e.g.,football, baseball, karate) Hooded Shirts Jogging or Running Shoes, Suits Knitted Caps or Hats Overshoes, Coats, Mittens, Parkas, and Trousers (sometimes sold in the trade as hunting, skating, and skiing apparel but suitable for general outdoor wear and commonly worn other than in a particular sport) Pullovers, Turtlenecks, and Other Sweaters Ski Masks 

So would hockey jerseys, even game worn, be considered as "Other Sweaters" and is therefore exempt?

They didnt give me why but looking over the code I would say the part that says "Sport or Recreational Clothing.... Articles that can be adapted for general use not exclusively connected with a sporting activity are exempt from tax."

I know Meigray charges tax so I am not sure if game worn applies. Doesnt hurt to ask though.

3 hours ago, jsh139 said:

Wow, that’s awesome. I’m in PA and they don’t charge tax on clothing, either. But, they do charge tax on “sporting goods and clothing normally worn or used when engaged in sports”. I wonder if that’s why I’m being charged tax. Sucks.

I believe eBay has a blanket policy on charging state tax no matter the local laws. So it might be best to ask and they will send it to their tax division. The way I checked was I added a jersey to my cart on Dicks Sporting Goods and saw they did not charge me tax so thats why I inquired with ebay. If DSG charges in your state then I would say there would be no reason to check with eBay.

4 hours ago, Crash Line said:

I believe eBay has a blanket policy on charging state tax no matter the local laws. So it might be best to ask and they will send it to their tax division. The way I checked was I added a jersey to my cart on Dicks Sporting Goods and saw they did not charge me tax so thats why I inquired with ebay. If DSG charges in your state then I would say there would be no reason to check with eBay.

Oooh, good to know!

7 hours ago, jsh139 said:

The guy on reddit who got his taxes back (some, not all of it yet) lives in PA, and he says he’s sure about the “sporting goods” thing not applying to his jersey purchases.  He did manage to get some back; he’s still waiting on some older purchases.

On 8/30/2020 at 4:11 PM, Evil Pirate Zamboni said:

He pulled the listing so someone must've made an offer offline, 
I wish we could find out what he got for it. 
Had to be close to his asking for him to pull it that quickly 

2 hours ago, LAK74 said:

The guy on reddit who got his taxes back (some, not all of it yet) lives in PA, and he says he’s sure about the “sporting goods” thing not applying to his jersey purchases.  He did manage to get some back; he’s still waiting on some older purchases.

Well, I’ll be emailing them for sure, now. Thanks!

I pulled the trigger on it and dealt with him on Facebook thanks to help from another forum member.  I got a few hundred dollar discount and avoided the eBay taxes and fees.  

My FOMA kicked in big time, but I am super excited about it.  It is the coolest jersey out there in my opinion.

However, I will be taking stock of my life choices. :)

Congrats on the pickup! I want his LeClair in the worst way, but I've put my funds elsewhere lately so can't do it.

56 minutes ago, JJM4 said:

Congrats on the pickup! I want his LeClair in the worst way, but I've put my funds elsewhere lately so can't do it.

If you need money, I'm happy to take one or two jerseys off your hands ;)

1 hour ago, JJM4 said:

Thanks!  It looks like the LeClair just sold today for almost $1,500 on eBay. It wasn’t me, but it makes me feel better that there is at least one other insane collector out there. 😀

Will do. But I’m not expecting anything to happen. The call-taker suggested I file for tax exemption (like if I were a tax-exempt) organization. But, she forwarded my request to the tax department.

Hmm, is it worth me starting my own religion/church to avoid paying taxes on hockey jerseys? 🤔 

Edited by jsh139